“Hotel was not really worth the expense for my convention” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 36 hotels in Columbia
Concordia, Missouri
“Hotel was not really worth the expense for my convention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was with a large convention for three days/2 nights. Luncheon, Dinner and Banquet food was NOT diabetic as I had requested and wait staff would NOT substitute. I asked for a manager, but, he/she never showed. I paid a lot of money for food that I could not eat and had to go elsewhere for my meals.

The 'Hospitality Coffee' provided by the hotel from 8-10 AM was empty of the bagels and coffee by 9 AM and not refilled. There was no tea and when I requested some hot water and a tea bag, I was told that it was impossible.

My room was booked online and it was acceptable, not great as I had paid for. The a/c was on and it was 63 degrees upon arrival on a day when the temperature outside was 40's and snow. There were no instructions on how to change it from a/c to heat in the hotel notebook and the phone lines to the front desk were constantly busy. I had to go to the front desk and ask.

The air in the entire hotel was hard to breathe as it smelled of smoke and very dusty. As I am a Priority Club member I expected better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear 249DomesticGoddess,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this particular day. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Frisco, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Upon check in my group was informed by the front desk clerk that since we booked through an online travel site and they were so full we had to be moved to smoking rooms. Apparently when you don't book directly through them they give you the rooms located on the ground floor that are disgusting. My friend arrived in her room and kicked off her shoes to relax and noticed men's shoes and a briefcase. She quickly left the room and informed the front desk. They actually placed a single woman in a room that was already occupied. To make matters worse the room they moved her to was on the ground level and the window did not lock. She didn't sleep a wink that night and and left the next day. The hotel would not even refund her for the night she didn't stay there. I was able to move to a non smoking room, but had to share a bed with my friend. There was no hot water and the smoke alarm battery was low so it beeped for hours before I finally figured out what was going on. Upon check out we talked to the manager and explained all of our troubles only to be informed once again that she could not help us do to the fact we booked through a online site. I told her that they shouldn't even sell rooms through an online site if they are not going to treat the guest with the same respect as someone who booked directly through them. This hotel is dirty and outdated and management could care less about customer service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear PPresley,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I truly regret the inconveniences you had with the rooms that you were given and mishaps in the staff service. Kindly be assured that your comments have been noted and this will be used to consider improvements needed at our facility. We take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances.

Again, thanks for the candid feedback and my sincerest apologies.

Regards,

Pam G.
McHenry, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I arrived on a Saturday. Bad idea.
Understaffed. Long lines. Chaos!
When I finally arrived at my top level Executive room, which I paid a premium price for, it made no difference. Ice machine out. No one would answer the phone for over an hour to give me my wi-if address.Awful. The one positive was the housekeeping crew who were kind and the room was very clean. Then the next morning came and the toilet not only overflowed, onto my bag, but gushered like a fire hydrant. Horrific! The manager removed $40 from my charge. Doesn't matter, I just wanted to get out of there. I will never return...

• Stayed May 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the room conditions. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Janice A
lethab2000
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here 4/20/13 I had booked through their website. When I arrived at 5pm the line was long and when it was my turn the computer was down, I requested they not give my room away since I needed to go to a wedding and that I would return after. The clerk Stephen said no problem they would hold my room until 2am. The hotel had a softball league staying there so many teenagers were about. When I returned at 9:30 pm I again waited in line and the people ahead of me were having difficulties apparently their booking wasn't available and they were going to have to switch rooms during their stay as well as have the wrong room the first night. I am usually patient, but when it was finally my turn the hotel didn't have the room I had booked available(king non-smoking) and wanted to give me a double-double. I told them I had paid more for a king and that is what I was expecting, the clerk called over another clerk and offered me the double-double again. I explained that I paid extra, and am a priority club member, that if I couldn't have the room I had booked, I would like a partial refund, or additional club points. Magically they found a room for me then. The room was large, clean, nicely furnished, well updated, and the bathroom was huge. I was able to enjoy a long soak in the tub, with nice soaps from bath and bodyworks. The breakfast buffet was tasty with lots of options. The wait staff in the sports zone was fast and friendly. The low carb ice cream in the sports zone was really good. The location is next to the Columbia mall and the interstate so it's very handy. If the check in had been better I would have upped my review score.

Room Tip: request a quiet floor if you go on a weekend due to all of the kids activity groups that stay there
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear lethab2000,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our front desk which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
McHenry, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights. Friday and Saturday. Convenient off I70. Beside the very outdated Columbia Mall, it was a disaster from the word "go". Long check in lines! NO one would answer the operator line. Awful service. I stayed and paid extra to stay on the executive top segregated floor. It made no difference. Children running up and down the hall. Out of control. No one at the Hotel would answer the phone to give me the wi-if access code. I ended up calling the 800 number. They were horrified. The room was clean.So, cheers to housekeeping. The ONLY positive about this facility.
The Hotel was way understaffed and incapable of dealing with the weekend attendance. No HD TV. NEVER again. KB

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had during check-in and any inconvenience you may have experienced with the service you received during your stay. We also apologize you were not satisfied with the amenities in your room and the noise which affected your stay negatively. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Just passing through on the way home from a long road trip. Check in was fast, room was clean and big. Ordered room service from the sports zone, wasn't expecting much but the Ribeye and all the fixings were awesome and for the price I was really impressed. Now for the 2 reasons why it didn't get an excellent overall rating from me. 1. they allow pets and had to call the front desk due a large breed dog staying in a room near us with this dog barking which did remedied the situation. 2. Water pipes are very loud and you know when your neighbors and taking a shower. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Last time we stayed there I didn't think we would ever go back but because it is so close to family we decided to give it another try. The hotel staff is over the top! Everyone is so nice, personable and helpful. The room was updated and quiet even though LSU was staying there as well as a Ty Quan Do competition group. However our beds were of poor quality. They both had a indention in the middle and were uncomfortable. The bases squeaked every time one of us turned over.The breakfast Buffett can still use some help. They are just not up to Holiday Inns standards but nothing is perfect. in spite of everything we will be back. Hope springs eternal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center? Share your experiences!