“Columbia's Finest? Once upon a time, but now showing it's age” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Columbia's Finest? Once upon a time, but now showing it's age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have a long history with the Holiday Inn Executive Center in Columbia, first having stayed here over 20 years ago. At that time, I thought of this as the premier hotel in Columbia, a place with great rooms and a fantastic location across from the Columbia Mall. However, I hadn't been to the hotel in probably 15 years until a recent stay brought me back.

Upon my return, I found seemingly the same hotel I last visited in the mid-1990s. While it was great then, like all of us who've aged since 1996 a little TLC is needed. Nothing serious, but a few updates here and there - especially in the common areas of the hotel - would help immensely.

Though the hotel is showing its age, I don't want to make it sound like this is a bad place to stay. It's not. My room was comfortable and quiet and I was able to get a good night's sleep. The gym was fantastic - one of the best I've seen at a hotel! And the location - right off of I-70 with easy access to Columbia's shopping and the Mizzou campus - remains an asset.

That said, I've been in much nicer, newer hotels in Columbia recently and much nicer Holiday Inns too. For my money, this is no longer the premier hotel in the area. It's still a nice place to stay, but definitely needs some renovations to return the facility to its status as Columbia's go-to hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here for a conference for work. Took a shower one morning with no hot water and heard many others did too. The food was average, a few good meals and a few average meals. Room served my purposes. Staff was friendly. Gym facility is nice for a hotel. Would probably only stay here again for a conference for work, not for personal. They did allow us to check in early, so that was beneficial.

Joplin, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel was a pleasant stay for a weekend conference. The rooms are spacious, and were recently remodled. The bathrooms are a bit outdated, but very functional. The food was good, and actually the buffet during the conference was better than many I have been served previously. The meeting rooms were above average and all of the staff were very helpful. I would recommend this site for any meeting or conference.

Naples
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Spent 4 nights here early October. Asked for a renovated room since I had read on TripAdvisor that they were in a renovation process. Our room did have a new bathroom....nice, clean, good towels, good shower. However, there was not one towel bar to hang a towel on. A good magnification mirror was there too. The room itself nor the mattress was new or renovated. There was a flat screen TV however. It seemed as if they just stopped updating...the carpet had dust in every corner, crumbs under the TV console. The hallway needed cleaning up. The lobby just so-so. The staff at the front desk very friendly and helpful. Had coffee available most mornings. The fitness center was very good and clean. Also, I observed clean linen ( a stack) on the hallway floor (dirty carpet), yuck. I did mention this to the maid and she said she would not use it then....it was there to go on her cart. Very poor practice...I do expect clean, sanitary towels and sheets at any hotel. Someone at the hotel needs to do some teaching for the cleaning staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
morfeo3
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

My company recently hosted a seminar at this location. I stayed there the night before. The hotel is currently renovations so I expect the rooms will look much nicer very soon

The room I had was large with a huge bathroom. Albeit the bathroom was outdated, I believe this is being updated.
I must say the sheets were velvety smooth and soft so I fell asleep almost immediately. Bonus points for them.

I also used the awesome gym. It's well equipped with aerobic equipment and weight lifting equipment as well.

Jimmy was great as our contact for the seminar we hosted. I had a minor injury to my hand and made sure I had everything close by so I wouldn't have to use to my hand.

Check in staff were also very nice. I would stay here again no doubt.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've stayed here many times over the years. I don't know that there's a nicer high-quality chain hotel in Coiumbia. The rooms are good-sized, the beds comfortable with several kinds of pillows, the bathrooms clean and the showers work. The high-speed internet is free in the meeting rooms (hurray!) and free in the rooms (double-hurray!) so if you are a working person, you can easily manage your office while on the road. The meal service at the convention was good, with the exception of the pork with snap peas we had -- I think the dish needs a sauce. Others said their meet was overcooked. At any rate, it was the only sub-quality meal we had -- the others we4re great.

Warning: The Starbucks at the mall across the street is NOT a Starbucks coffee shop. It's a Barnes & Noble Starbucks -- your starbucks card is worthless there. A minor frustration that had NOTHING to do with the hotel.

Room Tip: Once while there (not this trip), I had a room overlooking the indoor pool. I liked that, but some...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Windermere, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Very poorly staffed most of the time. The attached Sports Grille has a very inexperienced staff. And on the Saturday night that I was there, the place was packed and they had only two bar tenders. It took most people at least 20 or more minutes to place an order. Finally we went to another place. Do not allow yourself to stay on the 1st Floor. The corridor smell is terrible.

Room Tip: Better bet is the Holiday Express directly 2 miles East just off of I70: smaller, more convenient, c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Hma8319,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the poor service you received from our staff and the corridors. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Again, thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Select Columbia - Executive Center? Share your experiences!