“Tasty beer and fish!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 320 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Fish & Chips, Brew Pub, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Gold Medal winner for Best Overall Restaurant the last six years, Inside Columbia Magazine Best of Columbia readers poll! Flat Branch Pub & Brewing opened its doors on April 18, 1994 in historic downtown Columbia Missouri. The pub gets its name from a nearby creek which was the water source for Columbia's first settlers. Flat Branch was Columbia's first brewery since 1841. The pub occupies a 1927 brick warehouse with a curved, barrel-trussed roof that was once a Hudson car dealership. We offer a diverse menu as well as award-winning hand-crafted beers on tap. Enjoy your stay in the upscale industrial setting of our restaurant, on our spacious outdoor patio, or belly up to Columbia's largest bar. Our fresh handmade food compliments our brews while still being delicious enough to stand on its own. Try traditional pub favorites like Catfish and Chips or Bratwurst and Kraut, or perhaps our signature Charbroiled Romaine Salad. Enjoy your meal with our in-house baked breads and desserts. After dinner, sip one of our many single malt scotches or small batch bourbons may be just the thing to wrap up an excellent evening. The managers and staff at Flat Branch Pub & Brewing are committed to providing the best food, beer, service and value in the Midwest.
Syracuse, Utah
“Tasty beer and fish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Ate dinner and got the beer samplers. Enjoyed the brews, especially the jalapeno one. Catfish was not greasy and delicious. My wife had a wrap which was OK - pretty standard.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
Columbia, MO
“pucker up, buttercup!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

LOVE going to Flat Branch and dining al fresco in the lucky days of summer or the fall (if you can get a table...) Today I enjoyed the chicken club w/ cucumber salad. The sandwich was delicious but difficult to eat without knife and fork. The ultra sweet sauce accompanying it must have been honey mustard, but I avoided. I ordered the cucumber salad as my side. Bad Choice--do NOT order this! WAY too vinegary. Had my husband and sister taste it as well to be sure it wasn't just me. They confirmed that it was almost impossible to eat.

Go there! Have one of their terrific beers at a table outside! Just don't order the cucumber salad :-)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We ate here because several people who work in downtown Columbia recommended it. We sat on the patio & it was very nice that evening. My husband ordered the catfish. It was nicely seasoned & very tasty. I had the pub dip sandwich and onion rings. Both were good. My daughter is a vegetarian and had the portobella burger. She enjoyed it. The atmosphere was nice. The only negative I can think of would be that the wait for our food did seem long.

Visited June 2013
Rexburg, Idaho
“What happened to this place? Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We ate here two years ago, and remembered great steaks. Columbia, MO is right along our drive from home to family. The atmosphere is still cool. Very loud, college kids, older people, middle aged and young, all loving the big open atmosphere. That's all that has remained. My wife and my son ordered the sirloin steak. Ok, I'm not exaggerating, you could not cut the steak. It was so tough it was laughable. Honestly, both were not edible. My other son ordered the salmon pasta dish. There was one itty, bitty, tiny piece of salmon, ONE! It was penne pasta out if a box with a pesto- type sauce on it. In a word, nasty. The was an inch of grease all around the plate. I got the Philly cheese steak: stale roll, fatty meat and one huge piece of green pepper in the meat. Where is the pride? The cooks have no pride in what they are serving, and obviously, management is not watching. On to the waiter... I ordered salad on the side when we first ordered our appetizers and main dishes. It never came. So, after we were pretty much done eating what we could, I asked the waiter for my salad. He said, "Oh yeah, OK, the new cooks have been doing this to me all day." We waited, and waited, my family got sick of sitting there and waiting so they went outside. He came back to me, sitting by the table alone and asked, "you want that salad?" Holy cow!!! Are you kidding me? He had a bad attitude the entire night, not only with my table, but with surrounding tables. Don't go here. Very bad food, awful service. It might be a cool place to just sit at the bar and try the brews on tap. Anything beyond that, stay away from this place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
“Beer - Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Beer is great. I am from the STL and recently went to the Great American Beer festival in Denver and compared to others, they are just as good if not better. They have great Bitters as well as other styles. I just have to get time to get back to Columbia for a weekend. Love the place. Especially on non Mizzou weekends. Hopping place downtown.

• Visited September 2012