“The Tiger Hotel Earned Its Stripes” 5 of 5 stars

The Tiger Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   23 S. 8th St, Columbia, MO 65201   |
Ranked #1 of 36 hotels in Columbia
Rolling Hills, CA
“The Tiger Hotel Earned Its Stripes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our first visit to Columbia was greatly enhanced by our stay at The Tiger Hotel. We wanted a location where we could park the car for the weekend and walk to restaurants, bars, night spots, and the University campus including the football stadium. The Tiger has a phenomenal location adjacent to campus in the happening part of town. It's location can't be beat. The only thing that exceeded the location was the friendliness of the staff. The front desk was engaging and accomodating. They sincerely want you to have a good time and extend themselves to be certain you have what you need and made great recommendations on where to eat, shop etc..
We had drinks and appetizers at The Vault in the basement of The Tiger and found the food tasty and the specialty drinks inventive and reasonably priced! The Tiger Hotel has a cool vibe as they are updating a classic structure into a Bohemian boutique hotel. If you are looking for a unique hotel which blows away regular hotel chain standards and his character and charm The Tiger Hotel is your place. A great place to go to enjoy the best of what Columbia has to offer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I just stayed the weekend at the Tiger Hotel in Columbia. My husband and I were visiting our daughter who attends Stephens College. The staff was went way out of their way to make sure we were happy. The central location makes it perfect for shopping and dining, no need to use your car. We will only be staying at the Tiger Hotel in the future. Clean, friendly, quiet, plus a great coffee shop on the first floor. Book now!

Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel management, hospitality, room accomodations are just fantastic, My adult son and I drove my Mother to visit Columbia for two days. My Mother was born and raised in Columbia, as were many generations before her. She met my Father at the University where they both graduated. She knew the Tiger Hotel back in the day. This was a trip to see a couple of old friends and visit all of the nostalgic sites. The hotel has been redone so beautifully. We were so pleased with everything about it. The breakfasts were so delicious too!

Room Tip: We had the 8th floor with three rooms. Corner room was nice and sunny. All rooms had nice views an...
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife, 1 year old son, and I stayed here while traveling the KT trail. The location of this hotel is great for those traveling on the Katy Trail, because it is only three blocks from the MKT Trail spur from the Katy Trail to downtown Columbia. The room was fantastic, recently renovated. I would give them a higher rating, but our bed wasn't set up correctly. I highly recommend that you double check to make sure they put the mattress pad over the plastic mattress cover, not under. Also, the WIFI was really slow. Fortunately they provided a cord for the wall. Also, we drove to the hotel and didn't have any problems getting a parking spot on the street in front. You can also park in the public garage across the street. They have really deep tubs, be careful getting in. They need to install a railing to help you get in and out.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We traveled to Columbia, MO over the weekend for the Mizzou/Alabama game. We wanted a hotel that was central to town and in the middle of the action. The Tiger Hotel absolutely fit the bill for this, but the luxury, attention to detail, comfort and incredibly friendly and helpful staff just blew us away! Our room was on the top floor with a great view of the city and campus, the decor was understated and elegant, the bathroom was enormous with a great bathtub for soaking and the bed was heavenly. We grabbed drinks and food in the hotel bar, The Vault, our first night there. The food and drink selection was great and the atmosphere was very lively and friendly. We got up the next morning and wanted to purchase some Mizzou gear for the game. The manager, Michael, directed us to a store nearby where we found exactly what we wanted. Throughout our stay, Michael was always there to help and make our stay as comfortable and happy as possible in addition to just being a friendly face every time we saw him. We have plans to return to Columbia within the year and wouldn't consider staying anywhere other than The Tiger Hotel. It made the trip so memorable and perfect for us, I would very highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel has so much potential but definitely needs new management. My husband and I stayed last Friday night and our bedroom TV was unable to get a clear picture for any of the movie channels. We called the front desk several times and someone reset the cable box a couple of times for us but we still had very poor reception. When staying in a hotel, we like to stay up late and watch movies so this had a huge impact on our overall experience. The guy who came up to fix the TV a couple of times said he couldn't figure out why the TV wasn't working. He was very nice, so we didn't want to complain too much and decided we would take it up with management the next day instead of moving rooms late at night after we were already settled in. When we checked out the next morning, the manager was not in so we left a note explaining what happened and we requested that our Advanced Booking room rate ($ 449.00) be reduced to the Internet rate that day ($229.00). We thought that was more than fair since the hotel was not sold out that night and we could have insisted on moving to another hotel when the TV didn't work. Three days later, I received a statement in the mail with no room rate reduction. Instead, there was a $40.00 credit, but there were also four $10.00 charges for Valet Parking, even though we were only there one night and the Valet Parker had left for the night when we returned around 10:30pm. I called the hotel and spoke with Jim, the Manager. He repeatedly questioned my description of the TV picture, and said that he was told there were only a few channels that were not clear in our room. I was shocked that he didn't believe what I was telling him. The guy that reset the TV did not stay the 20 minutes while the channels reloaded, so he did not see how wavy the picture was on all channels! So, in the end, Jim insisted that he would only credit $40 for the TV not working, and he would remove the billing error of 4 valet parking charges. It is clear to me that this hotel is trying to be upscale, but the management does not know how to provide upscale service. The TV problem, the absent Valet Parking Attendant, and the valet billing error could have all been corrected and forgotten with an apology and a fair rate adjustment. Instead, Jim left me feeling like he was questioning my honesty and I am definitely not interested in returning for a similar experience at such a high expense.

Wes E, Manager at The Tiger Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
We apologize for the inconvenience with the television reception. When the night manager reset the channels the second time he informed the guests that if the issue continued, simply call the front desk and inform them that it had not yet been corrected. Our front desk staff never received another call from the couple and assumed that resetting the channels fixed the digital pixelation problem as this was an isolated issue that was only occurring on their television.

As of last week our Valet attendant is scheduled from 7am - 11pm but at the time of this reservation he was only scheduled until 10pm with our night manager available to valet cars past that time.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience and we hope that the isolated television issue hasn't deterred you away from staying with us in the future.
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel was really nice. The room and bathroom were clean and very comfortable. The bath tub was huge and great for soaking. The beds were comfortable and I really liked the powered blinds for the windows. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 was the parking. They have NONE! I had to make sure I was up before 8 to put money in the meter. Of course that's only on weekdays. Weekends the meters in the parking garage are free. I made sure I told them that I wasn't happy about that and they are aware of the issue and they said they are trying to work with the city.

Wes E, Manager at The Tiger Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and you'll be happy to hear that as of this week we have finally come to an agreement with the city with regards to our parking passes. We can now accommodate all our guests with parking passes or valet services in the garage directly across the street and steps from our front door.

Been to The Tiger Hotel? Share your experiences!