“Kind of Put the "Etch" in Sketchy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Suburban Extended Stay Hotel

You added Suburban Extended Stay Hotel to your Saves list
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3100 Wingate Court, Columbia, MO 65201 (Formerly Candlewood Suites Columbia)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Columbia
Maryland Heights, Missouri
“Kind of Put the "Etch" in Sketchy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Let me start with the good. The front desk staff is very friendly. They were nice on arrival and each time I came and went from the hotel they welcomed me with smiles. This hotel is also located in an extremely convenient location right at the intersection of Highway 70 & 63. There are plenty of places to eat and get services including a grocery store in walking distance. The bed was sufficiently comfortable for sleeping with supportive pillows.

Now the bad. The hotel is not very clean. It is pretty rundown. The staff, though nice, have no uniform and wear t-shirts and jeans that make the first impression one that is decidedly not professional. The manger is nice but his family literally sit on a bench in front of the front desk all day. There is only a small hallway into the hotel where this area exists. You are always feeling the need to excuse yourself as you pass in front of an elderly man who sits there with no shoes literally all day long.

My room was in need of updating. The grout was pretty dirty in my bathroom. There is only one bar of soap for showering and hand washing. It would be very awkward to stay here with multiple people using the same soap. The furniture is very dated as are the cabinets in the kitchen area. My room had a table/desk that was pretty beat up and an office chair that was functional but not very nice. I found myself skeptical of using the TV remote because from the overall look of the room, I couldn't be certain when it was last disinfected.

I noticed the room had a very specific smell. It was disinfectant meets old smoke maybe? I am not sure but it reeked of "seedy hotel" smell. I found myself hoping that I would not take that smell with me as I went out.

In the end, I won't stay here again. It was not a completely unpleasant experience but the oddities were just too much. The cost was $49 a night. I probably should have splurged on a nicer place in the end.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Solo
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were on a cross-country road trip hoping to get to St. Louis, but instead found ourselves here since prices farther east were considerably higher. Only had an overnight stay, but the room was very comfortable and had all the necessities. It's very close to the interstate and quick dining options. I would recommend it to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

We have stayed several places over the years while visiting our 3 children attending Mizzou. I booked this hotel, honestly, because it was all that was available in May for homecoming in October. I really didn't know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised. Great access to interstate and lots of shopping. Area is very safe feeling and no "shady" characters hanging out all around as we have experienced elsewhere. Even on homecoming weekend the area was very quiet and is surrounded by other well maintained hotel properties. The kitchen was well stocked and everything was very clean and well maintained. Recommend without hesitation. Thanks for a wonderful and affordable stay for homecoming!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Nadia R, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2014
Thanking for leaving this nice comment. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Saint Charles, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

The photos I submitted tell most of the story so for details see those. Booked this room 6 months ago and chose it because it was for Homecoming weekend so there were not many rooms to be had. Booked it thru Travelocity and prepaid rate of $74 with tax which in hotel terms isn't much so I wasn't expecting much. Have stayed twice before at the Howard Johnson's next door for less money and have already reviewed that hotel which was acceptable. Check in was 3pm and arrived at 1pm not expecting room to be ready, but was pleasantly surprised our room was available. That's where the last of the pleasant things ended. Had paid for a queen bed with sofa sleeper non smoking. Was told room had bed no sleeper and was offered roll away at not additional charge. Asked what happened to room that was booked and was told none available and that Travelocity must have made an error when transferring over our reservation. Told her we paid for a different room and that we would be happy to be wait until after the official check-in time to get correct room. Was told that negative 3 (whatever that means) of that room type were available. Asked to speak to manager and was told one would not be in until next day. Had no choice to take room it being Homecoming weekend, and there being no chance for another available room in the town.

Room pros: Size, it had small table that had a nice executive desk chair. The room had a flat screen TV. The room had a kitchenette, nice chair next to bed.

Rooms cons: Filth. Once again see pics for details. Fridge was dented like it had been punched a couple times, counter had burn mark, dead bug laying on bathroom towel, red substance on bathroom cabinet door, grout was filthy, mold in shower stall area, one soap to be shared for sink and shower, filthy additional cloth on additional chair by table, rough pilled bed sheets, someone's clothing items left behind in closet, bed was not queen size as booked and room smelled like smoke.

Called Travelocity customer service who tried calling to talk to manager, told one not available. They kindly credited our account $50. Will use them to book again, but it will not be at this hotel.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time and giving us your feedback it is very important to us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your room, it was unacceptable. I have shared your concerns with my staff and management team to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. I do hope you give us another chance.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This hotel is really meant for longer stays, like a week. But it was perfectly adequate for our two nights. No daily maid service. But wi-fi was good. Kitchenette makes sense for longer stays. Not a favorite, but not bad either. I might stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed in the Columbia Mo. for 8 months and I would like to say that Mr. Kyrell Kyer really made my stay a very nice he always had a smile on his face and a very pleasant young man that was always asking is there anything that he could do to make my stay more comfortable and enjoyable I would just like to take this time to say I thank him for that and that smile on his face he was really a good hard worker that was respectful and did not mine going out of his way to help you and he also made sure that my room was clean on the day that I liked so many thanks go out to him.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel? Share your experiences!