“Experience not as bad as others” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Columbia
St. Charles, MO
“Experience not as bad as others”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed one night for a Mizzou football game. I am used to staying at Hampton Inns, Holiday Inn Express, Drury Inns, etc. This was clearly a major step below the standards of those establishments. The price was $109 for what should be priced at $69. This was most likely built in the 60's or early 70's as another chain, like Holiday Inn. The first thing you see walking into the hotel lobby is paint peeling off of the front entrances and outdated decor. The front desk was short handed and took a long time to get checked in, although they did let us in our room two hours early. All of the rooms I seen had windows and doors that faced into a huge atrium with a pool and lounge area. The rooms did not have windows to the outside, though I think there were rooms on the other side of the wall with outdoor access. The pool was sizable and looked nice (didnt use it). The room was clean, the carpet looked fairly new, furniture was ok, and the bathroom and lavatory looked updated in the last few years. The shower water pressure was ok. The only type room available was two double beds instead of a king. They are not queen beds as you would find in other chains, but doubles which is quite narrower. The beds were VERY firm, kind of like a trampoline; however, we both slept comfortably despite being used to a pillow top soft mattress. The only thing shabby in the room was the ceiling that hat a lot of rought patches and appeared to have leaked at some point. Here is the crazy part: I'm not one to make things up or imagine things, but I believe we had a ghost. My wife woke up to what she thought was our cat walking around on the bed, until she realized we were not at home. I slept on the other bed since they were small, and woke up to the same experience, only it felt as though the cat walked up on my back also. There was no mistaking that I was wide awake. I didn't know about my wife's experience until later. The desk clerk said no one had ever reported anything like that before. Our room was 206. Since we were meeting someone for breakfast, we did not utilize the free breakfast offered. All in all, it was ok for an overnight stay with the exception of "not being alone". Someone wrote on another comment that the neighborhood looked unsafe, but I beg to differ. It was just fine.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is an elevator for access to the second floor so you will have to use stai...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a very unique hotel, it almost looks like it used to be a motel with an outdoor pool in the courtyard, and they built a shell around the courtyard so that everything is "inside." It seemed like they were making an effort to update the building in some places, but the whole property was outdated, and in need of major attention. For example, there is a large fancy Quality Inn sign in the entry way, but then the next door that you pass through is rusty with chipping paint. The bed was fine, the linens were newer, the rest of the furniture was pitiful, the bathroom was gross. I did appreciate having a microwave and fridge. The hot breakfast was OK, there was sausage, eggs, bisquits and gravy, cereal, and all kinds of bread items. It just looks like they have not invested any money into maintenance of this place in years which is shocking considering how sought after hotels are in Columbia Missouri.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I came into Columbia for the weekend for a Mizzou game and we all throughly enjoyed our experience. Few hotels anymore have an indoor pool and a bar. The rooms were fine and all of them had their own refrigerators and microwave ovens. The inside of the hotel is really unique with plenty of space and comfort. In addition, the entire staff was polite and even seemed to go out of their way to be friendly. And the breakfast was excellent...even after a late night. The bar itself was surprisingly big and fully stocked with an exceptional bartender named Dave who talked sports with us (and even politics after some prodding by us). All in all, we had no complaints and would definitely recommend this to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
DeSoto, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

First of all, when I called to book our room, the lady answered the phone and then continued her conversation she was already having with a customer at her desk and was rude with him and then continued her rudeness with me. I only booked at this point bc we had to stay here with the rest of my son's team. We stayed here for one night when our son's baseball team was in town for a tournament. The only reason we ended up here is because it was a busy weekend for sports in that town and this was the only hotel we could find that had enough rooms for our whole team. They jacked the price up for the weekend as well and we paid $99 a night (and that was a dicounted rate for our team!) for the grossest hotel I've ever stayed in! From the moment we pulled in I knew it wasn't good, the exterior even looks bad. The rooms were nasty, smelled, and there was NO WAY I was going to let my children swim in the cloudy indoor pool. People were up late into the night in the main area drinking and talking. When we got up for breakfast the next morning there were still pizza boxes, slices of pizza and beer bottles all over the gross tables.The breakfast was ok if you could get past the dirty atmosphere. Also, the ice maker was always empty and they advertise free wifi, but none of us were ever able to get our devices to connect to it. When we checked out, interestingly enough, the lady never did ask how our stay was. I'm sure she knows better than to ask that question to guests who are leaving. Overall very RUDE staff. Were were reserved there for 3 nights but checked out after one bc the other hotels were clearing out and we found enough rooms at a fantastic brand new Holiday Inn Express down the road for $3 more a night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here in ANY room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed there with the family and had a room near the pool, it is humid because of the pool. The room was old and the shower dribbled. Furnitur looked like garage sale stuff. This was very old hotel of another brand they turned into a quality inn it seemed to us. No quality there. it was almost empty, probably due to the shape. The neighborhood is not the best either and we worried about our car all night. Breakfast was pretty good, they did a good spread.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there, get a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Topeka, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Well, as mentioned by others, this is obviously a re-purposed Holidome property. Everything worked as far as that goes, but the entropy effect was obvious... the place looked, felt, and smelled -old-.

I don't mind that so bad if the price is commensurate... but even with discount codes, this one ended up costing more than I care to pay for a stay in an older property.

One shining point of the day, though, was the free breakfast... usually most hotels idea of "breakfast" is rather plain, rather sparse, or just a joke. I actually had breakfast here and enjoyed it. It's rare for me to find one that I actually like.

If you just need somewhere to spend the night and move on, this might not be too bad... at least you will get a decent breakfast out of the deal. If you have kids that want to swim, the holidome features might be useful to you. As a business traveler that spends most of his time on the road, I don't care about the "resort" features, so that means nothing to me personally.

Nothing was really "wrong" here... but neither was it really "right". Disrepair is kind of a downer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sullivan, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Hotel smelled bad, rooms were old and needed updating. Bathrooms were dingy and had mildew in the corners. Ice machine empty, washing machine broken, the extra fold out couch was broken and its mattress looked like they found it by the side of the road on trash day---disgusting. Might have been a great hotel in 1975. The only thing that I can say is the pool and courtyard design is great for kids. Kids loved it, adults couldn't wait to leave. The price was the same as much much better hotels in the area. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!