“Could be worse” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Columbia

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn Columbia to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Columbia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 East Texas Avenue, I-70 at Providence Road, Exit 26, Columbia, MO 65202-1556   |
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Columbia
Emmetsburg, Iowa
“Could be worse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were slightly disappointed in our room here, but only paid $69 per night, so I guess you get what you pay for. Everything else was booked, or over $150 per night, and we didn't want to spend that much. I found the housekeeping staff friendly and hard-working. But overall it was a little dated and dingy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Jackson, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here on September 19, 2012, day #2 while traveling coast to coast from New Hampshire to California. We had 2 well-behaved cats with us in kennels and a portable liter box. Red Roof accepts pets, and there was no problem with us having 2 pets, even though the Red Roof website said only one well-behaved pet was welcome.

The hotel has a pleasant appearance, right behind a Toyota dealership... but the exit is not one of those crazy busy exits with multiple truck stops, it was just the right mix of a few restaurants and gas stations. The front desk was very courteous, and I had some papers that needed faxing and the gal at the front desk took care of it with a smile and no charge.

The rooms were of good size, and the furnishings, bedding, bathroom was what I would call average. Didn't have a feeling of being unclean, but definitely felt dated a bit. I think they are updating some rooms, because there was a large active dumpster in the front parking lot with old mattresses and furniture sticking out of it, which tells me they are likely in the process of some updates.

There was plenty of parking, and we had a u-haul trailer and were able to park in a corner out of the way, for folks on motorcycles and folks that like their car close-by, you can park right at your door on the first floor.

To be honest, I forgot the price, but it was very reasonable, and nothing extra for the 2 cats. For travelers passing by, this is a half decent place to stop for the night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We were moving across country and not familiar with area. We had plotted a course and based on their website thought it would be a nice and safe place to stop. We were WRONG!!! Our kids begged us to keep driving when we got there but it was almost midnight and we were exhausted and had prepaid for the room. We were pulling trailers with our belongings and feared we would be writing a police report in the morning from the interest we seemed to be getting from a group of guys who appeared to be living there. The room was really dirty and the tub was so gross we all skipped showering that night.

• Stayed September 2011
Truxton, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I’ve stayed at this RRI in Columbia, MO twice now, and don’t think I’ll be going back.
Front desk personnel are friendly, until you start pointing out the room’s defects, then they get curt.
If you reserve a room online, even if you have a confirmation, that doesn’t mean you’ll get the room you paid for; for instance, they stuck me in a handicap room which had an AC unit that was LOUD and didn’t do a good job of cooling the room.
They also advertise online that they have in room coffee makers in the room I ordered and paid for, but didn’t discover that there wasn’t a coffeemaker in the room until I had checked into the room. When I asked about this deficiency, I was told the coffee makers were on order???
DON’T get a room on the East side, the lights from the car dealer will keep your room lit all night.

Be sure to show your AAA card to get a discount and make sure they take that amount off your bill, since they have a short memory.

The beds are worn out and need replacing, but the rooms were rather clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side are quieter and don't have all that car dealer light pollution shining in...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States, soon to be Burlington, VT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Moving across country from Arizona to Vermont. Needed a pet friendly hotel that wouldn't gouge. Room was actually ok; clean, didn't smell weird. The area however...not so ok. With-in the first 2 hours we were here we saw 2 drug deals in the parking lot right in front of the office. I'm glad we had our 100lb Rottweiler with us in case anything fishy happened. Definitely should have paid the extra money to stay somewhere else; but at 10PM what can you do. Lesson learned. Also, it smells like 35 people vomited outside. No sure if hotel or just the city...bleh.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed here about three years ago for a Mom's Weekend at MIZZOU with another mother and it wasn't too bad. This time I was here for graduation and it was all I could find even though I started looking around last December. The price was $80 per night -- I think I paid half of that last time. It was so scary that when I went out of my room Saturday night to the vending machine to get a soda I called my girlfriend and had her stay on the line with me until I got back to my room. I mean there were some seedy characters lurking about. I think the people a few rooms down from me were living there. Piles of trash outside of their door every morning.

The other thing is that mine was a smoking room which I guess I reserved by mistake through Travelocity. I didn't know smoking rooms even existed anymore. It was so disgusting. I asked them if I could switch rooms. At first one girl said yes, and then a manager-type woman stepped in and said no because I booked through Travelocity.

However, she was really nice and offered to spruce the room up for me so I wouldn't even know it was a smoking room. Later, she told me she put the pillows in allergy-proof covers (she couldn't find any extra, non-smoking pillows) and changed the linens and sprayed air freshener. When I went back in hours later, it smelled the same.

I was totally grossed out. Never again.

Room Tip: If you go here, make sure you ask for a non-smoking room. Also, it is best to travel with an armed...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for graduation weekend 2012- we booked late and this was all we could find. Dingy rooms with crappy beds. Door to room was so badly damaged you had kick it open. Dirty stairwells, sad breakfast in the "lobby". More than one domestic situation that required the police to intervene. Intermittent housekeeping. Truly the worst hotel I've stayed in. It is close to 70 and the university.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Red Roof Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!