“Good selection of food, beers & whiskey” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
44 Stone Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 325 restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, English, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Peachtree & Nifong
Transit: Nearby
Description: Mark Sulltrop and Dave Faron's new Columbia "gastropub": Food inspired by the great pub food of the British isles with contemporary American insight. Unique beer, quality whiskeys and wines all at an inviting price. Jolly good, yes yes?
Overland Park, Kansas
“Good selection of food, beers & whiskey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had been to this place once before, on a nice day where we could eat outside. This time the weather was cold & rainy, so it was eating inside. I sat in the bar area, I had good service from my waitress who answered my question on menu, both bar & food and gave me prompt service. Beer on tap was written on the board, w/ two prices. One for 5 oz size (sort of a taster) the other for full pint of beer. I heard wonderful things about their specials, but that was more food that I felt like eating. I ordered off their appetizers and soup menu. I tried the Judy's chicken livers ($5.50) & a cup of Tikka Masala Soup ($3.50). In general appetizers, run from $4-9 range, Soups & Salads from $3.5 (cup) to $9 range, entrees, (not specials) from $12 -20. Specials listed on the board were $20 & up. (It smelled great) Judy's chicken livers came swimming in a sauce that had me concerned. (I was expecting the sauce on the side). I was afraid that it would be overkill & I would lose the crunchiness of the livers as well as overpower the dish. But I was pleasantly surprised that the sauce gave a nice sweet/salty flavor to the appetizers. The Tikka Masala Soup was a decent portion for a cup. (Makes me wonder how big a bowl would have been.) If you like Indian food, I would recommend the soup as well. I did try the local brown ale, made in Columbia for $4 it was perfect for a rainy night. I did see another board that listed Whiskey (20 or so?) with prices, but only on the chalk board, I did not see them listed anywhere else on their bar menu. Decor I think leaves a lot to be desired. They have the faux "stone" I think to match the name of the restaurant, but I didn't think it was a particularly attractive looking place. In fact I am not sure what they were thinking. But you come here for the drinks & food. I am glad I had a chance to try this again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Columbia, Missouri
“Good Food, great beers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

One thing I really love about 44 stone is the beer selection. They offer many local selections that I had never heard of and every one of them I tried was great. The food is also good, but the selection of beers is the shining star here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kansas
“Jekyll & Hyde - but lots of potential.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We first visited earlier this in February after making reservations on Open Table. We were shoved into a corner table where 2 out of 3 where facing a wall. Whoever laid out the seating needs an education on enjoyable dining experiences. Whoever decides to put advanced reservations at crappy tables needs to wash dishes for three months. In summary, the overall experience (and management response) was so bad, I have no idea if the food on that visit was good, bad, or average.

Based on comments that things have gotten better, we returned. And they are mostly right. They still have the horrific table layouts (if you make on Open Table reservation, make sure you do not list 3 in your party or you might be stuck in purgatory). But I can tell you the food is actually pretty amazing. We shared a pretzel app - fantastic. I had the Tandoori chicken which was very good, and the burgers were excellent to amazing.

The bartenders have an excellent knowledge of the beers. Our waitress had an excellent use of the words "uhm," "I think," and "like," but lack a any real sense of hoppy and malty on beer.

If you want a great food experience, hit this place up, but watch where the try to cage you in. If you want a great beer tasting experience, sit at the bar.

Visited September 2013
Columbia
“Awesome fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

One of us has very fresh haddock!! She should kno as she's from Maine! I had soup, which Awad room temp. Sent it back and was just a little warmer. Also had a Reuben which was really a ham sandwich w slaw. But very thick. Was very rushed by waitress, to order, to finish and then to pk up check. Beautiful interior decor.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jefferson City, MO
“Good Food & Beer Selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

44 Stone Public House has very good service and a good selection of craft beer. We had a very good meal, with their house chips as a starter - excellent! It is worth the time to stop by and enjoy a beer and meal - great atmosphere and clean facility.

• Visited August 2013