“Great Name,great ambiance, lots of character....but less than average product for price.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shotgun Pete's BBQ Shack

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 333 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Shotgun Pete's BBQ Shack is an authentic BBQ Joint...located in Downtown Columbia Missouri. We recently moved into our present location which has indoor dining...a courtyard and sidewalk cate. We feature downhome hickory smoked BBQ...Pulled Pork...Beef Brisket...Spare Ribs....BBQ NACHOS...Loaded BBQ Baked Potato....Pit Smoked Baked Beans...and more! ...plus 5 House BBQ Sauces made in-house! We have been featured in Inside Columbia Magazine twice and once on on the cover! We now have beer ...28 different choices...several are made in Missouri and the Rockbridge Blonde (when available) is brewed right here in Columbia. Come in and relax...and have some GREAT BBQ! Open 11:30 am to 9 pm Tuesday thru Friday....12 noon to 9 pm Saturdays. CLOSED SUNDAYS MONDAYS and Holidays...and maybe sometimes for bad weather. Like us on facebook for updates and stay connected!
Hershey, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Ok it is my first visit to Columbia. I want some really good local BBQ. So I go downtown and spot Shotgun Petes. Name is catchy it looks very local. Casual old bar style interior. Bar to the right with cooking going on behind the bar. Seats to the left. Happy staff and owner sitting at the end of the bar. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with potatoe sald and a beer. It was $15 after the tip! What??? Yes you pay in advance after you order. Ok this had better be a GREAT sandwich for $15. BIG SWIFF!!! BBQ was dry and chewey. Good portion but not up to Dixie's or Texa's standard of quality. Had the price been half I would have given it a average ranking but the cost killed this rating. Good service....only average product....way overpriced and it is because you are charged for every item. Ie. $7 for sandwich $2 something for potato salad etc.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
AirbrushPhil, Owner at Shotgun Pete's BBQ Shack, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Yes you pay when you order....because we only have counter service, not table service. Your sandwich was $7 because it was almost a half pound of smoked meat! The sides are 2oz larger than most restaurants serve ( ours are 6oz portions) and yes you pay for "everything" you order because our menu is mostly a-la-cart. $2 for a side dish is LOWER than most places charge!
The menu is on the wall and is 4 feet by 8 feet large so you should not have been too surprised about having to actually PAY for the food you ordered as the prices are very clearly displayed. You also ordered a $4 Missouro- made craft beer...$4 is not extravagant for a craft beer!
We try to ask every customer if their food is ok. If there is a problem we correct it on the spot. Why you didn't tell is your meat was dry or chewey while you were there is beyond me. It only takes a minute to get another order of something and I can promise you I would not have allowed you to have a bad experience if I would haves had half a chance to talk to you then. You could have said something to us bit instead came here to complain. Your experience would have good but we were not given a chance to address your situation when you were here. Sorry. Check our hundreds of reviews on several restaurant review web sites. Your review is the first bad review we have had in the 3 years we have been open. It is not in line with what is normal at our BBQ place I assure you.

Columbia, Missouri
“Best Barbecue in Columbia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

These guys used to operate out of a real "shack" in the parking lot of a local strip mall ... the new place in downtown Columbia is much more inviting. Excellent selection of options, including a unique BBQ "sundae" that includes the meat, beans, and slaw all in large cup. Good selection of sauces, too, including a mustard-based option from South Carolina, which is my favorite.

Visited February 2013
Lawrence, Kansas
“Quality of the meat is awesome! Smoke, meh...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I recently shared a slab of ribs and brisket sandwich at shotgun Pete's. I have to say the quality of the meat is excellent but it lacked smoky flavor. Sides are also excellent but they are very small quantity see the picture of the small Styrofoam cup ( we had the slaw and tater salad). Being from the KC area I would say the quality of the BBQ is above average but not top shelf. The sauces are quite good as well. Look carefully for this small building in a parking lot. We drove by it twice!

AirbrushPhil, Owner at Shotgun Pete's BBQ Shack, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for nice review. I do feel compelled to reply to it though. You mentioned that the sides were small but at 8oz they are about double what most places serve for the same price or higher and the 8oz cup we serve you is not a large. It is our single person portion. We do sell a 20oz size for $5 that would be enough for three people. As for no smoke flavor...I don't know what to tell you since the ribs stay on the smoker for at least 5 hours and the Brisket almost 10 hours with a wood fire going the entire time. We were happy to have you and hope you return someday. Thanks!
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great homemade bbq and sides!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

This bbq was amazing. It is just a little building in a parking lot so you almost miss it. Brisket was wonderful. Variety of sauces available. My husband was crazy about the real baked beans. Can't wait to go back before a Mizzou tailgate!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rocheport, Missouri
“Great BBQ and Sides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Shotgun Pete's shack might not look like much when you drive by but it is definitely worth the stop. The sides were of high quality and not just your run of the mill side dishes. The pulled pork and rib tip sandwiches were the best BBQ sandwiches I have ever had. The meat had great smokey flavor but retained a lot of moisture. It made for the perfect BBQ meat texture. I don't know how a BBQ sandwich gets any better. Do yourself a favor and visit their drive-thru on your way home sometime.

• Visited March 2012