“Excellent Staff, Enjoyed every minute! Will most definitely be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7750 Carondelet Avenue, Clayton, Saint Louis, MO 63105 (Formerly Radisson Hotel Clayton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Key West, Florida
“Excellent Staff, Enjoyed every minute! Will most definitely be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

My son recently started his college career at Washington University, and I chose this hotel because of its convenient location near the campus. Three words: I'LL BE BACK!!! When my flight landed, I called the hotel for the shuttle. To my surprise, the driver (Mike) pulled up to the airport as I was speaking to the hotel operator. He was very pleasant, and made me feel welcome before we even got to the hotel.

When I arrived at the hotel, Eric greeted me by name - which I found to be very welcoming since he must have gone out of his way and prepared for me when I called from the airport about the shuttle. He had everything ready for me to check-in (room keys, etc.) and that made for a very smooth and welcoming process. Eric and Leslie provided me with local restaurant information, and they suggested that I eat at an AWESOME Italian place that was only a block away. There was plenty of restaurants within a block or two to choose from, and the local area was so clean and felt secure even to an outsider like myself. I enjoyed every minute of my stay, and I credit that to the excellent staff - and not just the front desk. I think I can say that every single hotel employee I came in contact with smiled and asked me how I was doing. Eric even printed my boarding pass for me! Overall, very hospitable - and I find that to be somewhat rare these days.

I will most definitely be returning, and I plan to stay here from this point forward when I come to the area for my son. Thank you so much to the entire staff for making my stay so enjoyable!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza in Clayton. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Nik went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay. I was in St Louis for a girls trip and concert and the hotel is conveniently located near a metro station which made travel to downtown St. Louis effortless. An added benefit was free parking on the weekends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Evansville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I question why this hotel lists rooms with Priceline.com since the hotel staff told me direcly when I checked in that I should never book it through a "dot.com" site and that if I called them directly to book, the price would be guaranteed lower and they would be able to better accomodate my needs. The staff labeled me a "dot.com" customer to my face and said there was nothing they could do to assist in meeting my room needs since I was a "dot.com" customer. I was one of the first people to check in that afternoon, and was clearly placed in a room in the "OLDER" tower with the wrong bed configuration since I had booked through priceline. When I tried to get a room with two double beds as I had requested, the hotel staff said there was nothing they could do for me since I booked through a "dot.com". The room was too small to bring in a roll away bed which they wanted to charge me an additional $10.00 for. Carpet appeared to be very dirty/non vacuumed and front desk staff clearly not trained to treat all paying customers the same. I was made to feel like a sub-standard customer since I booked through a "dot.com" site. in summary, the staff was rude, non accomodating and room was old, dirty and too small to fit a roll away in. I completely wasted my money on this booking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I'll start with the staff. The team of people at the CP in Clayton are incredibly helpful, polite and responsive. I have stayed at this hotel regularly since 2008. The team goes out of their way to make my stay comfortable and relaxing.

The restaurant service and food quality are awesome. The restaurant is a sports bar theme with special access to the NFL Channel. They deliver the "best" breakfast buffet in at least the nearest five states. The concierge lounge for Priority Club members offers complimentary breakfast and happy hour.

The rooms are spacious, the beds are especially nice and offer big screen TV's with HBO. The fitness center is also very clean with fresh air blown in and modern equipment with a big screen TV.

Clayton as a town offers convenient pedestrian access to shops, restaurants and other businesses. The Metro train stop is a short walk.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. If you are going to St. Louis, choose Clayton and then always choose the Crowne Plaza.

Regards,
Mike Eck

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
downers grove,IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I got a great deal on Priceline and was pleased with the overall experience. We probably wold have given it a higher rating if we hadn't had a problem with sleep quality and staff response.
The bedding and mattresses are incredibly comfortable but a ridiculously loud, rap music,bass booming wedding was going on somewhere above our 5th floor room. We waited until 11pm when we were told it would wrap up but no earplugs could ever overcome the obnoxious music. On his third visit to the desk my husband unfortunately had to get, lets say ,extremely assertive with the staff to change our room in the supposedly "booked" hotel. The next room had a broken faucet and cracked sink but was happily quiet.
On the plus side is the updated rooms, free parking in the garage if arriving after 7 and a great location that is highly walkable to restaurants and some boutique shops.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Crowne Plaza in Clayton has provided us with extremely wonderful service. From the time we pull up at the door until the moment we are loading our luggage to our vehicle. All the employees stop us to ask if there is anything they can do to help in any way. The pool temperature was great, the rooms were very tidy and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We booked this hotel online at the cheapest rate available. Of course we weren't expecting a palace, but we weren't expecting a dirty room without basic facilities either. Our room was in the old tower of the hotel and we right away noticed a few stray hairs around the sink and toilet, and it was obvious the toilet hadn't been given a good scrubbing in quite some time. There was also a long hair on one of the bedsheets next to the pillow. Dust and crumbs were easily noticed in every corner (a helpful tip for the Crowne Plaza management -- maybe that's why most hotels don't have hardwood floors!). It seemed like our room hadn't been used in quite a while; the water in the tap didn't run smoothly for the first minute, like when you've been away from home a long time and your taps take a while to get back into working order. Also the porter who brought our bags up (very friendly) had to move one of the beds to plug the bedside lamps in when he realized they weren't working!

We were willing to overlook all of that to avoid the hassle of switching rooms, but that night we tried the hot tap in the sink and nothing but cold water came out. We right away checked the shower and sure enough, no hot water. Also, the sink and bathtub didn't drain properly. We called the front desk and John (I think he was the night manager) offered to show us another room on the same floor. Again the water was barely warm and the room was dusty and dirty, including a used earplug on the lower shelf of the bedside table. We were then shown to another room, this time in the newer tower of the hotel, and it was much nicer. Carpeted floors this time, hot water, and the entire room was much cleaner, just as you'd expect from any respectable hotel.

So for anyone wondering why the reviews of this hotel seem so polarized, I'd bet that the one star reviews are from people who stayed in the old tower and the five star reviews are from the satisfied guests of the new tower. This place really is like two hotels joined together -- the new tower has wider hallways, an entirely different feel, and even nicer elevators, as opposed to the cramped and rickety elevators tucked away at the back of the lobby that take you to the old tower. The most disturbing part of it all, though, is that this hotel seems to have a clear policy of cleaning the newer rooms thoroughly and blatantly doing a sub-par job on the older rooms.

Wouldn't stay here again, but a big thanks to John at the front desk who was helpful, sympathetic, and professional in helping us find a satisfactory room. The other staff here also seemed friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel? Share your experiences!