“If you are seeking a utilitarian stay only...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7750 Carondelet Avenue, Clayton, Saint Louis, MO 63105 (Formerly Radisson Hotel Clayton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Clayton
“If you are seeking a utilitarian stay only...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I was in Clayton for a retirement party so didn't stay in the room much the entire weekend. The lobby is GORGEOUS. The staff are friendly and helpful. Love the free breakfast! Caveats: the tiny rooms. The outdated decor on guest floors. The yucky faux parquet floors in the rooms. Free WiFi is awesome. The free parking is great too except it's difficult to navigate from garage to hotel. Would I stay here again? Probably. But I would spend as little time in the hotel as possible.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you, andetherunner for taking the time to share your review with our community! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating! I am sorry that you didn’t care for the hardwood floors though. Hard surfaces are trending now because of their cleanliness and hypo-allergenic properties. You will be glad to know that our new furniture arrives daily and I hope you will come check it out next time you’re in St. Louis! Thanks again and safe travels! -Eric

334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently stayed at this property and received a Platinum Priority Club upgrade. The room was well-furnished and included a flat-screen TV, but most of the hotel looks like it's stuck in the early 1980s. The lobbies and public areas looked like they were stuck in the 1970's. I noticed there were several electrical sockets that didn't have faceplates on them, and one of the lamps had a burned out light bulb. I think someone on staff there needs to do a better maintenance check of the rooms on a regular basis.

The staff was INCREDIBLY friendly. They were helpful, courteous, and seemed genuinely interested in making sure I was satisfied with my accommodations.

Figuring out which elevator to take to which floor was an adventure. Depending on which of the two buildings you're staying in, you have to select the correct elevators. In the Bemiston Tower, only one of the two elevators stops on the level for the garage.

On weekends, when the concierge lounge is closed (and why is that? Would there really be an issue with having the lounge open on weekends, even if it's just self-service?), they provided a certificate good for a free breakfast buffet at the Plaza Bar and Grill (on-site restaurant), but this was a disappointing experience. No bacon (only sausage), biscuits and something that resembled, but did not taste like, gravy. Fruit that wasn't very ripe, and a waitress that kept insisting on bringing coffee even though I stated I didn't care for any.

The exercise room is well-appointed, and I enjoyed using it. The pool, however, looks like it's in extreme disrepair. Even though it was an indoor pool, there were all kinds of leaves in it. There were also several holes in the ceiling. Some look like they had been cut to provide access to stuff in the ceiling, others looked like water damage.

Attached to the pool is a video game arcade, where all the games are free - no coins required. Kids will like this! I had a stroll down memory lane as I played Frogger, a game I remember growing up with in the 80's.

The location was great! It's two minutes from the Galleria, five minutes from the Fox Theatre, and ten minutes from downtown St. Louis.

All-in-all, I would probably stay at this property again, but ONLY because it's affiliated with Priority Club, my loyalty program of choice. If a nice Holiday Inn opened up near Clayton, I'd probably go there rather than return to this Crowne Plaza again.

Management: Time to spend a little money and update the property. You've got an awesome location here, and a property that has a LOT of potential. You can have one of the premiere properties in the area but find a consultant who can help bring this hotel into the current century, please.

Room Tip: Get a room that's NOT in the Bemiston Tower. This appears to be the older of the two sections o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Scott D,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. We are very happy to read your compliments of our helpful and courteous staff, however, we regret that your experience didn't meet your expectations and we would like to assure you that this is not the standards of service we are striving for. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your comments, and continued loyalty as a Platinum Priority Club Rewards member.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Salem, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I checked into this hotel on Saturday December 22nd 2012 and checked out on Sunday December 23rd 2012. We were staying here to attend an evening wedding in this hotel's Crystal Ballroom on the 7th floor for which a block of rooms had been reserved on the sixth floor (the Concierge floor) of the executive tower. The hotel is in downtown Clayton, near the river. Parking on the weekends is free and a nice complimentary hot breakfast buffet is served, including cooked-to-order omelets. Our two queen room was well-appointed, including large flat screen TV and safe. The bathroom features both a tub-shower combo and a nice walk-in shower. A minor quible is the maze like structure of the hotel with somewhat lacking signage; it took us a while to make our way from the conveniently attached covered parking garage to our room. The only major drawback we encountered was the bad bed: it badly sagged in the middle, resulting in an extremely restless night that took us two nights in a good bed to recover from.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us, DrTea4Two! We are glad you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you. I’m happy to know you enjoyed your upgraded room in the Executive Tower and were happy with the amenities. I am, however, sorry to know that your sleep experience was less than pleasant. Usually it is the Crowne Plaza beds (standard across the brand, made by Simmons Beautyrest) that make the experience! I assure you we will be checking each bed on that sixth floor to see if we can find the problem – I hope you can accept my apology. We hope you will return to us if ever in Clayton or St. Louis again and we wish you a Happy Holiday Season! Thank you again! -Eric
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel for two nights in early November, after having spent the previous few nights at the Westin St. Louis downtown. While we were blown away by the amazing accommodations and service we received at the Westin, we were equally as disappointed by our entire experience at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel itself is old and outdated, and the rooms are tiny and have little-to-no sound-proofing. But I can forgive those things. After all, we didn't pay a lot for the room. What I can't forgive, however, is horrible service. When we first arrived, we only had one towel in the room, and when the hotel staff finally delivered another one, it was hung in a plastic bag on our front door. When we took it out later that night to use it, it looked and smelled completely unclean. Then the next morning we left for the day and requested that our room be made up. However, when we returned later that night it was obvious that the housekeeping staff had never set foot in our room. I went down to the front desk to complain, but my frustrations fell on deaf ears. Rather than listening to my concerns and attempting to resolve the situation, the worker at the front desk instead told me that the maids had already left for the day, so all he could do was give me new fresh towels. Needless to say, I told him to keep his towels, and I went back up to my room to get some sleep as we had to fly out early the next morning. This brings me to my last gripe. One of the main reasons we booked this hotel was the fact that they advertise a free shuttle to and from the airport. But what we were never told is that it doesn't operate 24/7, so it was incredibly upsetting when we were told the night before our departure that we would have to call a cab the next morning to take us to the airport because we were having to leave too early. All-in-all, our experience at the Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel was a complete disappointment. We've stayed at many other Crowne Plazas in the past and are usually extremely happy with our service and accommodations, but unfortunately this one didn't come close to meeting our expectations. In this case, I'd have to say the old adage, "You get what you pay for," was completely true.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottie, I am so sorry to hear of this experience and of your dissatisfaction. We truly value each and every one of our guests and it pains me to know that you left with a bad taste in your mouth. I would like to hear from you personally – if you could contact me at the hotel, I would greatly appreciate it. If you happen to see this, please give me a call. I do hope to hear from you! -Eric

Travelers are raving about these Clayton hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is the fourth or fifth time we have stayed at this hotel, as it is extremely convenient to Wash U. Free Internet, free weekend parking, and free (and filling) breakfast are very big pluses. Especially when the hotel across the street asks $10 per day, per device for wifi and also gouges for parking. I am always impressed with the helpfulness of the staff, but on this trip I was even more impressed. We brought my elderly, handicapped mother, and the staff couldn't do enough for her. She didn't take a step without an offer of an arm or someone to help her with her walker. This was not just one person: the entire staff was courteous, friendly, and quick to help.

My one caveat about taking an elderly person to the hotel is that the ramps are unusually steep. And the ramp leading to the restaurant where the breakfast is served is also quite long. Helping my mother negotiate these ramps was too difficult, and she was upset and scared. She also had a problem with the height of the bed (she is only 5'2"): she couldn't get into it without a struggle. This may be her own issue: my husband and I found our bed to be quite comfortable.

We will definitely return to this hotel, although not if we are accompanied by an elderly person. Overall the value you get for the excellent price can't be beat. And the accommodating staff makes the experience even better.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking your time to share your review with our community! We are so pleased to offer accommodations to our Washington University visitors and it makes us so happy to know you were so delighted with our offerings and value. We aim for that and our goal is to consistently deliver the best value in our area. I apologize for challenges you faced with your mother - I remember her well and what a sweet woman she was! I look forward to your return and please stop by and say hello when you do! Happy Holidays to you and yours and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR! -Eric
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

While the lobby looks nice the rest of the hotel is dated. To get to the pool area is a task in itself. The pool was very small and not kept up too well. Therooms were OK but did have a musty smell to them. The breakfast served was marginal at best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and we truly value your feedback. I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel's layout and I know that with a hotel of this size, some might find it a bit out of the way to get to the pool. At the same time I am glad you were able to utilize it. As for your room, I offer my sincere apology and I hope that if you do stay with us again you will reach out to us and let us know that there is something we can do to make it better. Thank you for your time and we hope you'll come stay with us next time you're in the area. Happy New Year!

Been to Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel? Share your experiences!