“Many pros, but may not be the best choice for the elderly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel

You added Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7750 Carondelet Avenue, Clayton, Saint Louis, MO 63105 (Formerly Radisson Hotel Clayton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
New York City, New York
“Many pros, but may not be the best choice for the elderly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is the fourth or fifth time we have stayed at this hotel, as it is extremely convenient to Wash U. Free Internet, free weekend parking, and free (and filling) breakfast are very big pluses. Especially when the hotel across the street asks $10 per day, per device for wifi and also gouges for parking. I am always impressed with the helpfulness of the staff, but on this trip I was even more impressed. We brought my elderly, handicapped mother, and the staff couldn't do enough for her. She didn't take a step without an offer of an arm or someone to help her with her walker. This was not just one person: the entire staff was courteous, friendly, and quick to help.

My one caveat about taking an elderly person to the hotel is that the ramps are unusually steep. And the ramp leading to the restaurant where the breakfast is served is also quite long. Helping my mother negotiate these ramps was too difficult, and she was upset and scared. She also had a problem with the height of the bed (she is only 5'2"): she couldn't get into it without a struggle. This may be her own issue: my husband and I found our bed to be quite comfortable.

We will definitely return to this hotel, although not if we are accompanied by an elderly person. Overall the value you get for the excellent price can't be beat. And the accommodating staff makes the experience even better.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking your time to share your review with our community! We are so pleased to offer accommodations to our Washington University visitors and it makes us so happy to know you were so delighted with our offerings and value. We aim for that and our goal is to consistently deliver the best value in our area. I apologize for challenges you faced with your mother - I remember her well and what a sweet woman she was! I look forward to your return and please stop by and say hello when you do! Happy Holidays to you and yours and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR! -Eric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

While the lobby looks nice the rest of the hotel is dated. To get to the pool area is a task in itself. The pool was very small and not kept up too well. Therooms were OK but did have a musty smell to them. The breakfast served was marginal at best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and we truly value your feedback. I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel's layout and I know that with a hotel of this size, some might find it a bit out of the way to get to the pool. At the same time I am glad you were able to utilize it. As for your room, I offer my sincere apology and I hope that if you do stay with us again you will reach out to us and let us know that there is something we can do to make it better. Thank you for your time and we hope you'll come stay with us next time you're in the area. Happy New Year!
Safety Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Recently attended a 4 day convention at the Crowne Plaza in St Louis. Amazing staff, every single one of them was pleasant and helpful. Room was large and immaculate, location great. The only negative thing I have to say about the hotel is the breakfast buffet is not worth the 12.95 there are some great places nearby to have breakfast. Oh, and ask for a room with a balcony to take advantage of the view of The Gateway Arch!

Room Tip: South side with balcony to take advantage of the view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon! Have a wonderful holiday a season and a Happy New Year!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

When you can say that the breakfast and the price (~$125) are the better parts of a hotel, well you might want to consider elsewhere - and that was with what appeared to be a renovated room.

The sort-of good: The breakfast here is plenty filing and diverse of food, and the booths along the window a great place to eat and watch the world (such as it is in Clayton) go by. The location is good for getting to WashU (which only has one hotel that's on campus), but more importantly for getting to all the financial firms that occupy this urban-like area. The hotel is also 3 blocks from the rail line, which means you can get downtown, to the university, or the airport without renting a car. The bathroom was bright and large enough.

The not good: We had two noisy, noisy rooms. Street noise came right through the very small window (that also let in a cold draft). Hallway noise (more than normal, we felt) came in through and under the door. And noise from the rooms came through the thin walls from two over! I've not stayed in a hotel as noisy as this for quite some time. As for the rooms themselves, they were adequate in furnishings, but really dark. The dark woods (think stained walnut) throughout don't help. It felt like an inadequately-lit northern european hotel. The shower fixtures in what looked like a renovated bathroom were partially hanging off the wall - enough so you couldn't use them to hold anything. The towels were nearly sandpaper (hint: there's this great invention called fabric softener - use it please). The bed was king sized but the pillows were tiny (it took all four laid end to end to span the bed width). That meant rolling off my pillows a couple times a night. While I found the bed comfortable, my wife found it harder than normal (and she's used to harder european beds), such that her upper back hurt the next day. Finally, the hallways and elevators need severe updating. The elevators are incredibly old, by which I don't mean quaint.

If St. Louis seems like an industrial city that time is passing by, this hotel was a perfect match for it.

Room Tip: Don't get anything on a street to avoid the paper thin windows and all the noise (and cold air...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you, BlueWindez, for your review and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm so glad that you found Clayton to be as convenient as it is and I am pleased to know you enjoyed the breakfast. However I am disappointed to hear that you were displeased with the lighting and décor of the rooms. You see, a while back we decided to switch to eco-friendly light bulbs which we’re finding take about 15 minutes to really brighten up. We are looking into alternatives for these and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will be sure to address this with my management team. We hope you will return to us if you’re ever in Clayton and we wish you a very Happy New Year!
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I came to the St. Louis area to visit my daughter attending Washington University which is literally a 5 minute drive from the hotel, so that was definitely a plus. I came in on a Thursday and left on a Sunday - I was pleasantly surprised to learn that parking was free on Friday & Saturday nights, so I only got charged $6 on Thursday. I looked around the area, and for $6 you can't beat it. Everywhere else charges at least $14 no matter what day of the week. Clayton overall is a beautiful area with plenty of nice restaurants to walk to.

From the moment I checked in at the front desk, everyone I came in contact with was friendly and helpful, and I just got that overall sense that people cared and wanted us to be happy. The young man who checked me in, Eric, was very helpful with information about the local area and places to eat. On the first night, we asked how to get to the University. Eric gave me directions but then he told me that the shuttle happened to be available and offered to take us - that's service! Keyanna and Tara were two others that I remember going above and beyond for me, but EVERYONE was so nice! My room was clean and the housekeeping staff did a wonderful job.

Free breakfast in the morning was excellent - especially for the price (FREE). Internet was included and I wasn't charged for anything except my room and that one night of parking. It's been a while since I've been able to say that. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but it didn't cause me any inconvenience. I had a wonderful stay and will most definitely be back next time I'm visiting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am just thrilled that you had such a good stay and have taken the time to tell everyone about it. Yes, our location is SUPERB for anyone coming to visit Washington University and we value our relationship with the school very much - their guests are always welcome! Congratulations to your daughter for considering Wash-U - it's a wonderful school. We are delighted to know that you were happy with the free weekend parking and breakfast and that our staff has fulfilled their roles as ambassadors to the hotel. I hope to see you again soon and have a very happy and prosperous New Year! -Eric
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

experience was excellent. I a light sleeper and was concerned about noise (and also concerned about a few of the reviews in Trip Advisor) so contacted Eric Howard who is the Front Office Manager and he was fantastic. He made sure my room was quiet and a renovated room.

The hotel had an very good breakfast and the staff wasvery attentive. I do not understand some of the previous reviews that were unhappy with the breakfast. (By the way, have a made to order omelet - they are outstanding.

Note that the weekend parking is free and there is self-parking so you do not have to pay the valet fee noted on the web site if you don't want to. (They also have a nice workout room if you choose to use it.)

(And yes, some of the hotel still could use a facelift, but I would not be concerned.)

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you so much, ams44! On behalf of our entire staff, we’re so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. I thank you for your compliments and I’m so glad that I could be of assistance. It seems that you really enjoyed your stay – and that is a reward in itself! I hope you will come see us again next time your travels bring you to St. Louis. Until next time, best regards and safe travels! -Eric
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Good location but needs some updates. Our room looked nice but beds sagged like hammocks without the breeze or sunshine! Bathrooms were tiny. Hallways were in need of freshening up. Breakfast was good. We found the location very central for St Louis but I'm not sure we would choose her again with a family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Your opinion means a great deal to us; thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for providing feedback. I am so sorry that you didn’t find comfort in our beds. Crowne Plaza Hotels maintain a high, consistent standard of bedding, and we very rarely hear anything except praise and compliments about our mattresses. Our location is great for adults, but I can certainly understand your point of view when it comes to traveling with family. We are located in a business/financial district – and although there is plenty for families to do within a short distance, options may be limited within the walkable surrounding area. We do hope to see you again and thank you for staying with us! –Eric
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Homewood Suites St. Louis - Gall...
#1 of 2 in Richmond Heights
4.5 of 5 stars 400 reviews
Downtown
Hampton Inn - St. Louis Downtown at the Gateway Arch
Downtown
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch

Been to Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel? Share your experiences!