“Dark And A Bit Old” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7750 Carondelet Avenue, Clayton, Saint Louis, MO 63105 (Formerly Radisson Hotel Clayton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Clayton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Dark And A Bit Old”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

When you can say that the breakfast and the price (~$125) are the better parts of a hotel, well you might want to consider elsewhere - and that was with what appeared to be a renovated room.

The sort-of good: The breakfast here is plenty filing and diverse of food, and the booths along the window a great place to eat and watch the world (such as it is in Clayton) go by. The location is good for getting to WashU (which only has one hotel that's on campus), but more importantly for getting to all the financial firms that occupy this urban-like area. The hotel is also 3 blocks from the rail line, which means you can get downtown, to the university, or the airport without renting a car. The bathroom was bright and large enough.

The not good: We had two noisy, noisy rooms. Street noise came right through the very small window (that also let in a cold draft). Hallway noise (more than normal, we felt) came in through and under the door. And noise from the rooms came through the thin walls from two over! I've not stayed in a hotel as noisy as this for quite some time. As for the rooms themselves, they were adequate in furnishings, but really dark. The dark woods (think stained walnut) throughout don't help. It felt like an inadequately-lit northern european hotel. The shower fixtures in what looked like a renovated bathroom were partially hanging off the wall - enough so you couldn't use them to hold anything. The towels were nearly sandpaper (hint: there's this great invention called fabric softener - use it please). The bed was king sized but the pillows were tiny (it took all four laid end to end to span the bed width). That meant rolling off my pillows a couple times a night. While I found the bed comfortable, my wife found it harder than normal (and she's used to harder european beds), such that her upper back hurt the next day. Finally, the hallways and elevators need severe updating. The elevators are incredibly old, by which I don't mean quaint.

If St. Louis seems like an industrial city that time is passing by, this hotel was a perfect match for it.

Room Tip: Don't get anything on a street to avoid the paper thin windows and all the noise (and cold air...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you, BlueWindez, for your review and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm so glad that you found Clayton to be as convenient as it is and I am pleased to know you enjoyed the breakfast. However I am disappointed to hear that you were displeased with the lighting and décor of the rooms. You see, a while back we decided to switch to eco-friendly light bulbs which we’re finding take about 15 minutes to really brighten up. We are looking into alternatives for these and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will be sure to address this with my management team. We hope you will return to us if you’re ever in Clayton and we wish you a very Happy New Year!

386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I came to the St. Louis area to visit my daughter attending Washington University which is literally a 5 minute drive from the hotel, so that was definitely a plus. I came in on a Thursday and left on a Sunday - I was pleasantly surprised to learn that parking was free on Friday & Saturday nights, so I only got charged $6 on Thursday. I looked around the area, and for $6 you can't beat it. Everywhere else charges at least $14 no matter what day of the week. Clayton overall is a beautiful area with plenty of nice restaurants to walk to.

From the moment I checked in at the front desk, everyone I came in contact with was friendly and helpful, and I just got that overall sense that people cared and wanted us to be happy. The young man who checked me in, Eric, was very helpful with information about the local area and places to eat. On the first night, we asked how to get to the University. Eric gave me directions but then he told me that the shuttle happened to be available and offered to take us - that's service! Keyanna and Tara were two others that I remember going above and beyond for me, but EVERYONE was so nice! My room was clean and the housekeeping staff did a wonderful job.

Free breakfast in the morning was excellent - especially for the price (FREE). Internet was included and I wasn't charged for anything except my room and that one night of parking. It's been a while since I've been able to say that. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but it didn't cause me any inconvenience. I had a wonderful stay and will most definitely be back next time I'm visiting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am just thrilled that you had such a good stay and have taken the time to tell everyone about it. Yes, our location is SUPERB for anyone coming to visit Washington University and we value our relationship with the school very much - their guests are always welcome! Congratulations to your daughter for considering Wash-U - it's a wonderful school. We are delighted to know that you were happy with the free weekend parking and breakfast and that our staff has fulfilled their roles as ambassadors to the hotel. I hope to see you again soon and have a very happy and prosperous New Year! -Eric
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

experience was excellent. I a light sleeper and was concerned about noise (and also concerned about a few of the reviews in Trip Advisor) so contacted Eric Howard who is the Front Office Manager and he was fantastic. He made sure my room was quiet and a renovated room.

The hotel had an very good breakfast and the staff wasvery attentive. I do not understand some of the previous reviews that were unhappy with the breakfast. (By the way, have a made to order omelet - they are outstanding.

Note that the weekend parking is free and there is self-parking so you do not have to pay the valet fee noted on the web site if you don't want to. (They also have a nice workout room if you choose to use it.)

(And yes, some of the hotel still could use a facelift, but I would not be concerned.)

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you so much, ams44! On behalf of our entire staff, we’re so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. I thank you for your compliments and I’m so glad that I could be of assistance. It seems that you really enjoyed your stay – and that is a reward in itself! I hope you will come see us again next time your travels bring you to St. Louis. Until next time, best regards and safe travels! -Eric
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Good location but needs some updates. Our room looked nice but beds sagged like hammocks without the breeze or sunshine! Bathrooms were tiny. Hallways were in need of freshening up. Breakfast was good. We found the location very central for St Louis but I'm not sure we would choose her again with a family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Your opinion means a great deal to us; thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for providing feedback. I am so sorry that you didn’t find comfort in our beds. Crowne Plaza Hotels maintain a high, consistent standard of bedding, and we very rarely hear anything except praise and compliments about our mattresses. Our location is great for adults, but I can certainly understand your point of view when it comes to traveling with family. We are located in a business/financial district – and although there is plenty for families to do within a short distance, options may be limited within the walkable surrounding area. We do hope to see you again and thank you for staying with us! –Eric
Guilford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel is well located, but in need of renovation. It looks old and tired. The hotel was catering to a large group and also had a wedding party while I was there. Remnants of the night's festivities in the form of glasses and beer bottles were still present when I left at 6 the following morning. Some of the staff could use a little guidance in etiquette, such as not addressed guests by their first names, and slowing down when answering the phone. The restaurant is dark and dreary and feels and looks unclean. Close to airport and has free shuttle service, which is a plus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you, littlebeebville, for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The hotel is clearly under current renovation, and as we move towards the slower winter season, we look very forward to completing the majority of our projects. This time of year is a busy time for weddings, and we are pleased to have them at our hotel. I am sorry if you did find their remnants early in the morning before housekeeping could get everything cleaned up. I thank you for your suggestions and will share them with my staff. I am glad to know you found convenience in our complimentary airport shuttle service. We thank you for staying with us and we hope you’ll return to us next time – I hope by then the renovations will be complete and you will be happy with our improved property.

Travelers are raving about these Clayton hotels

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a hotel on the west side of St. Louis with easy access to a Metrolink station and the highway (I-64). The Crowne Plaza in Clayton met those needs perfectly, and at a reasonable price.
Every single staff person we encountered at the hotel was extremely nice and helpful. While making our way from the parking garage to our room (with luggage in tow), an employee on the cleaning staff happened to walk by and immediately stopped to make sure we knew how to find our room. She pointed us to the right elevators and even told us which direction to turn once we exited the elevator on our floor. Our king sized bed was comfortable, and it was especially helpful to have a mini fridge and microwave in our room. We found the room to be clean and satisfactory. Our only complaint would be that sound does carry through the walls. While in the bathroom, I could hear our neighbors using the toilet and shower, as well as snippets of conversation. This didn't bother us at night, though; we had the air conditioning on and couldn't hear a thing.
The Clayton Metrolink station is only 2 or 3 blocks away and about a mile away, we found a giant shopping district which includes the Galleria mall complex and many, many other stores. We had access to everything we needed, including downtown St. Louis - which was about 10 minutes away by car and 20-30 minutes away by Metro.
The room also included a free breakfast; but, we did not partake, so I cannot speak to the selection. Still, not many hotels offer free breakfast, so this could definitely be considered a plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! Our wonderful staff loves nothing more than to hear that you found us to be friendly and helpful – so again, thank you! I am glad you found value in your stay and that you had everything you wanted within reach! We look forward to having you with us again next time you’re in St. Louis. Best Regards & Safe Travels!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Outside appearance is like of an up-scale hotel. Main lobby looks really nice and that's where it ends. The front desk personnel could be more friendlier. Hallways were remodeled at one point in time but the work was never completed. A/C in our room sounded like it was going to explode. I notified the front desk in the morning, and the lady said thanks for letting us know. No fan in the bathroom. Parking is free which is a plus. Complimentary breakfast was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us! We are always looking for opportunites to improve, so I welcome your contact at the hotel directly. I would very much appreciate your opinion as to what we could have done better. I do apologize for the issues with your A/C. When traveling, it is always my suggestion to alert the front desk of any issues you experience right away so that it can be fixed. I am very glad to know you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast though! I look forward to hearing from you. -Eric

Been to Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel? Share your experiences!