“nice hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel

You added Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7750 Carondelet Avenue, Clayton, Saint Louis, MO 63105 (Formerly Radisson Hotel Clayton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
illinois
“nice hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a couple of times because of the proximity to the Airport. You can stay here one night before a early flight out and get free parking the entire length of your vacation and they shuttle you to airport and back. This is a nice property. I probably would not stay here if you are coming to vacation in St.Louis kinda far out. If you are vacationing in Stlouis stay in the downtown area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Eric H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We were pleased to have you, and I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary airport shuttle service. For anyone considering us for they stay in St. Louis, please note that our airport shuttle runs 7 days a week from 6AM until 10PM. I am also glad that you shared you purpose of travel with the community, as it is good for people to understand that we are located in a business district - so as you mentioned, travelers looking to vacation at a hotel might want to consider the area. However, even though there isn't a whole lot for kids to do in the immediate area, we are located only 3 short blocks from STL's MetroLink - which can get you virtually anywhere. Much of St. Louis' best family hot spots are located just a few miles from the hotel, and our location is as central as it gets. Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Crowne Plaza Clayton has a $200 per night special that I highly recommend for those wanting a special romantic getaway. It comes with a 7 X 7 heart shaped Jacuzzi surrounded by mirrors, a bottle of champagne, king sized bed, soft fluffy robes, breakfast buffet and best of all, six huge chocolate covered strawberries! My wife and I have been doing this once a year for many years, usually for her birthday, Valentine's Day or our anniversary. We check in about 4 p.m., and instead of going out for dinner or ordering in room service, we bring our own microwaveable treats and just soak in the jacuzzi for hours. You will be so relaxed that you will have the best night's sleep you'll have all year, guaranteed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Carollover, thank you so much for the review and sharing your experience with our traveling community! I'm glad you enjoyed our "Romance in St. Louis" package, and we look forward to having you for Valentine's day perhaps, or maybe your next anniversary! If there is anything we can do to make it more special, please always feel free to contact me at the hotel! Thank you again and we'll see you soon!
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here with a ton of family members last week for a family reunion, and although it was an adequate venue for the week-long event, there were several issues that stayed on my mind the entire time I was visiting.

#1: The staff are not as friendly or as accommodating as you would expect from a Midwest hotel crew. Plus, many of them were downright incompetent! Both times I approached the concierge desk (two different gentlemen) to receive information about the area I received an "I don't know" response, which was followed by 10 minutes of Internet research that yielded nothing. I ended up doing all of the research myself! The front desk staff were slow-moving and inconsiderate. On check-in day, even though the sign on the desk said that check-in began at 3 p.m., the front desk attendants were telling people to be patient because check-in didn't start until 4 p.m. And each time the guests in my room asked for something (towels, extra soaps, etc.), the request had to be repeated minutes later because nothing was done to initially resolve the issue. Additionally, the housekeeping staff forgot to replace our towels two days in a row. One day it was the bath towels, the next day it was the washcloths. Oh, and they placed toilet paper and coffee pod refills on one of the guest beds one day. I guess someone forgot to finish up...? Finally, the restaurant staff seemed confused and overwhelmed the entire time. I know that several people were never charged for drinks (Yay!!!), and I witnessed an argument between a bartender and the restaurant manager. Moreover, one morning the chef who made omelets spent five minutes complaining about his coworkers. What a downer!

On a positive note, I must congratulate the doormen and the shuttle drivers for being so helpful and the catering staff for being so joyful and friendly. Although their managers told them they were not supposed to drive guests to Little Italy, the drivers went anyway in order to accommodate the large groups that had gone there for dinner (unfortunately this resulted in a sizable delay for the returning groups of people...).

#2: The room refrigerator and the toilet produced incredibly obnoxious noises the entire time. Flushing the toilet was nearly impossible, and when it did flush, it sounded like someone was vomiting. And the refrigerator would rumble each time it tried to cool, which occurred every few minutes.

#3: The parking garage was a mess. It is cheaper than street parking on weekdays (weekends are free in the area, so park on the street if it is a weekend trip!), but you pay for confusion and frustration. The only worthwhile parking structure level is the Orange level because you can access the hotel on that level. Otherwise, prepare to walk!

Okay, okay, there were some positive attributes too. The game room is free (unlimited foosball); the hotel is in a great location for catching the Metrolink (train); and the lobby and ballroom are beautiful. Oh, and the food in the Concierge Lounge was good. Try the meatballs.

Last observation: the pictures of the hotel as seen on their website are misleading. The hotel is not in a suburban environment; it is located in an urban context on the corner of a main street.

Room Tip: The Executive Tower rooms are worth the extra cost. The layout is roomier; you receive access to the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We really enjoyed hosting your family reunion and we're glad to hear that we were able to go a little further to help you all during your stay. We do apologize for the issues you mentioned though and please be assured that they will be addressed. We hope you will come visit us again next time you're in Clayton and thanks again!
IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel needs new housekeepers and then I think it would be ok. We stayed on the 1st floor in the 3000 rooms, the older/cheaper rooms. The room really was not bad, the bathroom was so tiny that you can hardly get in and close the door but not a huge deal. Although did hear the new rooms have huge bathrooms. The thing that made the room terrible was that it was still dirty when we arrived at 5 PM. Hair all over the BR floor, toilet & counter, and sheets as well. My parents' adjoining room was clean.... The beds were made in our room but obviously sheets hadn't been changed. Manager came down and cleaned up and helped my mom change the sheets and also comped our room for that night which was nice, however I still felt grossed out staying in that room 4 nights after seeing how gross it was.

They also left my mom's room w/no toilet paper for 2 days & when she left the card out for them to change the sheets they did not (there was a stain on the sheets so she knew they were the same ones) they just made the same sheets up. So the housekeeping manager came around & asked how things were & after my mom told her she sent someone back with the TP and to clean the sink. I mean, basic cleanliness should not be a problem at a hotel where many many different people stay in the same place.

Other than that, breakfast daily was really nice and thought it was good. The guys who make the omelets and fill the buffet are great, Benjamin I think was one? Location is nice, really easy to get to Shaw park & Zoo. Parking garage is a total mess w/construction. Also an issue with the bar and management apparantly not telling the bartender she was staying late and an argument in front of everyone--looks like they just need to get their stuff together! Oh but beds were really comfortable and ballroom was very pretty!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered with housekeeping. I know you have come to expect more from our hotel, and I am so sorry that your service was less than adequate. Please be assured that our team has discussed the issues you mentioned, and we will be able to improve our services moving forward. I'm glad you did enjoy other aspects of the hotel and the area. I hope you will come back and see us again so that we can exceed your expectations! If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share, and safe travels!
Spring City, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here last year and should not have repeated the experience. Never wrote about that time. However, this time I will share our nightmare. I grew up in St. Louis, so I know the hotels. Thought perhaps last year was a one time deal. Boy was I wrong! First when I called the Clayton location late one night this May to book the room, I was transferred to what I was thought was the Crowne Plaza's reservation line. Instead I find a charge on my credit card three weeks later from Expedia for both nights. I have never booked on Expedia in my life much less to pay upfront for two nights in a hotel when I have not even arrived for said two nights. Too late to cancel as no other hotels were available in the area at such a late notice. Kick backs to the night staff for sending potential clients to Expedia? Called the national number for Crowne and basically told me nothing could be done. Checked in June 19, 2012 and front desk guy said he would check in with this issue, but never got back to me. By the way he was a bit rude. Our room was on the older side of the hotel. The halls smell, no water pressure whatsoever in the shower. Accidently left a Banana Republic sweater on the desk chair upon checkout. Called the hotel the next day as still in St. Louis and transferred to Housekeeping. Supervisor said she would check ASAP and call me back. Never heard back, called front staff 6 hours later and was told if I did not get a call then they did not find it. My response-whatever happened to common courtesy and returning a call. Did receive call then from housekeeping and of course sweater no where to be found. Probably hanging in someone else's closet as I type this. Have told all friends and relatives in St. Louis to stay as far away from this place as possible!

Room Tip: Stay away all together!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with our community! We are so sorry that your experience was less than pleasant; however, we would like to take this opportunity to help future travelers avoid making the same booking mistake. Regarding Expedia, the hotel would NEVER transfer anyone to a third-party competing agent, nor do they have the ability to do so. You see, when performing a search on an internet search engine, often times the search results will bring up third-party internet booking agents, such as Expedia, Travelocity, etc. – and sometimes they strategically make their tag lines and websites difficult to differentiate from our actual direct website (Crowne Plaza). For that reason, it is important to simply visit our website directly, or call our own Reservations Office at 1-877-227-6963. At the same time though, these third-party agents clearly greet their callers by announcing the name of the company they represent. I also know that all third-party agents require your email address, and confirmation is sent to you immediately (which, again, clearly states the name of the booking agency.) Future travelers should also take note of our “Best Price Guarantee” that we stand behind 100%. We actually guarantee the lowest published rate or your first night is free. Furthermore, booking direct will allow you the chance to specify and reserve your desired room type. For example, if you didn’t feel that the “older section” was adequate, booking direct offers the opportunity to reserve an upgraded Executive Tower room, which is in the most recently-built section of the hotel. You see, these are upgraded rooms and guests actually reserve them for a slightly higher rate. Although the hotel does not accept responsibility for items left in the room, I would still like to apologize for the loss of your sweater. Thanks again for sharing and Safe Travels!
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I visited this hotel during the last weekend of March 2012. I stayed with friends and we all had a great time!

As soon as you walk in, the ambiance and elegance is top-notch. Piano music, chandelier, fine carpet and furniture- and all spotless, too!

The staff is extremely helpful. I'd booked on a third party site and did not receive the room I wanted. Right away they set off to upgrading me at a reasonable price to the room we all wanted- a king sized suite, smoking allowed. The suite had the feel of a small apartment and was well decorated. The internet access was up to par, and although the "balcony" involved climbing through a window, we all had a blast. At the end of a long night, 4 people comfortably shared the plush Memory Foam king size bed, and woke up feeling alert and refreshed!

This hotel's continental breakfast is by far the best I've come across.The food is delicious, the fruit is fresh, the staff is friendly and you can even have an omelet made ready to order!

I'd have to say that for families with small children, do not expect much.Overall I felt the pool was low grade and the game room left much to be desired. As St. Louis is still a fun town for families and is located less than 20 minutes from the St. Louis Zoo, I wouldn't deduct the pool and games from my score. There's still plenty to do for the kids!

We were attending a show at the Pageant theater that weekend, and there was a shuttle out front that drove us to and from the theater free of charge. That was a plus indeed!

Well designed/furnished, great location, easy to find, plenty of incidentals to keep you pampered, a great internet cafe, sensible prices and a lovely staff made our trip top notch. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, and will be staying there in the future!

Room Tip: If you want a room with special amenities, book through the hotel and not a third part site (Hotwire...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We love nothing more than to hear from our happy guests, and it's so nice to hear that we were able to accommodate your needs even though you booked through a third-party on the internet - often times this is not an option. We always suggest booking directly with Crowne Plaza, because this allows you to book (and guarantee) a specific room type that meets your needs. When using a third-party internet agent, they usually don't give you an option to choose your room type - which can lead to some disappointment when you arrive at the hotel. I will also take this opportunity to let our community know that as of August 1, 2012, we are now officially a 100% Smoke-Free hotel. I'm glad you got to enjoy it while it lasted though! Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you again!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Outstanding stay. The hotel staff is very helpful and accommodating. The hotel is beautiful and centrally located to the city's main attractions. The subway is just a couple of blocks away and is the perfect solution to getting around. The meals are wonderful and the complimentary breakfast is by far the best I've experienced. My family enjoyed the hotel and St. Louis. I highly recommend the Crowne Plaza. Two thumbs up.

Room Tip: The room I had was very quiet and the service each day was outstanding.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, Mike! We are so delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, the location is so convenient to everything St. Louis has to offer - so I'm glad you were able to get out and take advantage of that! I will also share your compliments with our restaurant staff, and we're glad you enjoyed the free breakfast! We try so hard to make that a valuable piece of the experience. We hope to have you with us again soon and safe travels!

Been to Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Clayton Hotel? Share your experiences!