“Pricey But Worth It...” 4 of 5 stars

314-875-9900
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
801 Chophouse St. Louis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 52 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Pricey But Worth It...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Awesome surprise in Clayton!! Dinner was expensive but the flavor and service was worth the price. Menu has something for everyone including the bone marrow appetizer. My son ordered the bone marrow burger and said it was best burger he ever had. For the price conscious, that burger is half price at the bar for happy hour. The lamb chops are delicious but would pass on the calamari appetizer. Seafood tower was an amazing treat for the table!! Plenty for everyone!!
Not an everyday place, but worth it for a special treat!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Little Rock, Arkansas
“nice but very pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I would say that you would be hard-pressed to find better meat or service. But, you will pay for it. Wine list was outstanding and there was a rarely seen "by the glass" Pahlmeyer the night I was there. Calamari, lobster chowder and crab cakes were all great. Sides are large enough to share.

Visited June 2014
High Ridge, Missouri
“My new favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

First class decor, ambiance, and wait staff. I was worried about what to wear, but was quickly put at ease when we arrived. I saw everything for jeans and button up's to little black dresses. We did not have a reservation, so we ate at the bar (along with 20 others). We stared with the best calamari I have ever eaten. They were bigger than mozzarella cheese sticks and very tender. We did get salads, but for the price and how much other wonderful food there is to eat, I will skip it next time.We were offered bread, but skipped that too. The prime rib would literally would melt in your mouth! I know you hear that a lot, but here it is really true. We had a very difficult time deciding on sides, but ended up sharing a 1/2 order of lobster mac n cheese and 1/2 order of green beans with sauteed onions and bacon lardons. Both sides dishes were delicious. I swore I couldn't eat another bite, but then they brought out the dessert menu. The Opera Cake was amazing! I am very happy I did not skip on dessert. This has easily become my new favorite place for special occasions.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Evanston, Illinois
“Great Steaks, and service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This upper end steakhouse is not for the casual diner, the staff and the atmosphere was quite formal. I arrived very casually as a walk in looking for a good dinner on a business trip, and il got a fabulous one! Yes, the prices where astronomical, and yes I could have gone elsewhere, but the steak and custom dessert was amazing, just be prepared to pay over $100 per person for it.

Have the soufflé for dessert, it is amazing, and worth the wait, on top of that the cute dessert chef come out and delivers it herself!

Visited April 2014
St. Louis, MO
“Wine list is over priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

The best thing about 801 are the people. Like other 801's, the people are friendly and accommodating. That's what brings me back. Love the oysters at the bar for $1--that will be the only thing that is inexpensive at 801. Foods good, though I think the steaks are over seasoned. My major objection is 801's wine list, or the prices. Wines are very overpriced and a $25 corkage is ridiculous. Wine by the glass is also expensive at about $18 per. I wish American restauranteurs would recognize that wine is part of the meal and not a method to grab a patrons wallet. Be more like European restaurants.

• 3 of 5 stars Food