“Pasta for all” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Pasta for all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Dining at this place with my teen grandkids this past weekend was a wonderful experience. Niche is well known in St Louis as a top notch restaurant. This place is their offering for more affordable family fare. We were there when they opened because they do not take reservations. We put our name on the list and enjoyed a delightful Bellini cocktail while we waited for the kids to arrive. I had the pistachio ravioli with brown butter. Oh yum! The shaved kale salad was also to die for. Kale never tasted so good. Around the table 6 different pasta dishes were ordered and enjoyed.. We topped off the meal with the best gelato I have ever eaten and that includes gelato in Italy.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Food was Good. Atmosphere great! Wait staff not very attentive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here last Saturday about 8:30. Busy but found us a table right by the kitchen door. My view was the floor on the swinging door. Smashed and cracked egg shells, boxes, and other debris on the floor. I tried to look up but as the table closest to the door you have to crane your head to look at pictures on wall. Food smelled delicious. Cooks were working at a fast and furious pace. My husbands pasta was really good. My pepperoni pizza and vegetable salad were ok. The pepperoni was more like fried baloney. Nothing special. Wanted some gelato but line was too long. Poor guy trying to scoop had a hard time keeping up. Our waiter did not bring bread until we asked for it after seeing the table next to us (they arrived after us) get theirs. Heard another waiter giving the special of the night and had to ask our waiter what it was. He just wanted to take our order and move on. Came over and took our drink order and 10 minutes later without drinks in hand came back and asked us if we were ready to order. I think with a different waiter we might have had a different experience. We are always trying new restaurants. We go out three times a week but will probably not be back. We should have eaten on "the hill"

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Disappointing service, but great food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Usually I'm all about the food and some questionable or rude service won't bother me, but at the Pastaria I was frustrated. We must have had bad luck. My experience doesn't match most of the reviews. I think we may have just gotten the new waiter on staff. My girlfriend and I got there around 5:30 and weren't seated until 6:50. Not a big deal since it was busy. Our wait was fine, as everyone was friendly and the atmosphere was great. However, they started bringing out some free appetizers for everyone waiting, and somehow skipped over us with each pass. Nice touch by them, we just had bad luck in missing it. When our pager finally vibrated they asked us if it was for a party of 4 (it was just two of us). The same thing happened to the couple paged after us. We then had to wait longer yet for a table. Once we got seated, we had to wait significant time until our waiter came to our table. After ordering, our risotto balls came out quite quickly (and were delicious), but our bread did not come until halfway through our entire meal (when I guess our waiter realized he had forgotten). Their bread, is also delicious, soft and fresh. The spicy dipping oil is great! We had also ordered a pizza as an appetizer, which was incredible. After our appetizer, we sat for a pretty long time waiting for our main course (which we ordered up front when our waiter came since we weren't sure we would have another chance to do so). The entree's finally came. My girlfriend had the Canestri Cacio e Pepe. While she enjoyed the homemade pasta, she felt the sauce was very salty. Mind you, my girlfriend loves things overly salty and she complained it was salty, which to me is saying something. I had the Garganelle, which was very good, I'd definitely recommend it.
When I left the table to wash my hands, I had to come back to the table with wet hands as there were no towels left to dry them with.

All in all, good/great food, but our service was lacking. Because the food was good I want to try it again. If you want to avoid the wait I'd guess that arriving for their opening might work, or get there around 9 when it seemed to start clearing out.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
STL
“Great family place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

very good restaurant and priced well. The waits can be long and the waiting area is a little cramped.

Visited February 2013
Fenton, Missouri
“Emphasis on food quality.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our family group of seven attended early on a Saturday. We had to wait, of course, since Pastaria still takes no reservations. The space is like a warehouse with a high ceiling and poor acoustics. The tables are packed together, but that allowed us to be seated sooner. One can watch the pasta being made (for sale by the pint) or the food being prepared in the ballet of the open kitchen.
Service was perfect, attentive without rushing us. Appetizers were freshly prepared and tasty. The kids had pizza, which they couldn't come close to finishing, and the adults tried a variety of pastas, each of which was a different take on how good this seemingly simple food can be. About half of these supplied lunches the next week. All for $13 - $18 per pasta entree. Fresh gelato finished the meal.
I've eaten many meals in local restaurants in Italy, and this is the only restaurant in Saint Louis where the pasta is every bit as good.
It's obvious why customers will wait to dine here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere