“Excellent sushi! Great atmosphere.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 53 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to Tani Sushi Bistro – offering traditional and fusion-style sushi, stunning signature rolls, as well as classic Japanese cuisine. The highest quality ingredients are complemented by stunning Japanese décor, created as original art from Asian artists. To that, we add superlative service, always deferential to your tastes and desires.
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent sushi! Great atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We snuck into Tani without a reservation on a Friday night and we were so glad we did. The food was delicious! I have a gluten allergy, and there were so many amazing options for me - the allergy didn't phase them at all. That's extremely hard to find in a sushi restaurant. We'll be back!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dallas, Texas
“Great little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Was right around the corner from my hotel, so I stopped in for lunch. Sat at the sushi bar, the chef working was very sweet and engaging, spent plenty of time talking to me since I was by myself. Food was great. The Sassy Roll is really really good.

Tried to stop in again the next day for dinner and the wait was an hour, but they sent me over to the neighboring lounge that shares their kitchen. No wait. That was nice.

Visited August 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
“over hyped rep, poor attitude and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

we went here for the rep the place had as the best sushi in town
we went on a friday night at 7 so we expected some wait, here's what happened:
the place is tiny
it was packed
it was a 45 min wait for 2 people ahead of us to get to the sushi bar
the young ladies were nice and sent us next door to wait,more of a lounge
it went downhill from there.
the bar tender ignored us for 5 minutes
then another came by and offered to move us, we did, then he served us and was very nice
max was his name- he was the saving grace.
the first bartender then came by, and served us some watery drinks
max fixed us up after that
the 1 hour later, the waiting couple went to the sushi bar!
we decided to eat in the lounge,
the usual order of 2 pieces of sushi, is only 1
and the food was absolutely below par
my buddy, says his $15 all u can eat sushi place back home had better
so, on the whole, can't recommend and won't return.
i ate at the other nice place in clayton and wrote a stellar review on it
all i can say is let those who care about being seen and don't mind waiting hours go there
you should go elsewhere.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Awesome Food... Poor Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have been to Sushi Bistro 7 times in the last few months while traveling to St. Louis on business and while I can say the food is exceptional and the sushi chefs do a fantastic job at food preparation, the wait staff leaves a bit to be desired. The selection of food is extraordinary. Many choices of rolls and single pieces as well as extensive beer list and mixed drinks. The restaurant itself is very loud and I would not recommend it for conversation or for a group by any means. The food comes out quickly, but the problem is some of the servers are difficult to find and even when I have asked for mine to come to me for a water refill or more ginger, it can take up to 10+ minutes for them to get to you. I actually saw my food come out and sit at the end of the sushi bar for 13 minutes before he even knew it was there and would bring it over.
I do come back for the food, and have requested the so far one server that is attentive since then.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Exceptional sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was our first time to try the sushi here, the couple we went with recommended it. We tried several different rolls, to name a few, Sex and the City ( wonderful), Soft Shell Crab Roll (delightful), Oh My God( oh my god) and Samba ( outstanding). All in all I would highly recommend Tani, but if your going to visit with someone, don't. My only complaint is it is very, very noisy, almost impossible to have a conversation. I do have to say it was a Friday night at 8:30. I would definitely go back again.

• Visited June 2012