“Awesome Food... Poor Service” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 52 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to Tani Sushi Bistro – offering traditional and fusion-style sushi, stunning signature rolls, as well as classic Japanese cuisine. The highest quality ingredients are complemented by stunning Japanese décor, created as original art from Asian artists. To that, we add superlative service, always deferential to your tastes and desires.
Chicago
“Awesome Food... Poor Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have been to Sushi Bistro 7 times in the last few months while traveling to St. Louis on business and while I can say the food is exceptional and the sushi chefs do a fantastic job at food preparation, the wait staff leaves a bit to be desired. The selection of food is extraordinary. Many choices of rolls and single pieces as well as extensive beer list and mixed drinks. The restaurant itself is very loud and I would not recommend it for conversation or for a group by any means. The food comes out quickly, but the problem is some of the servers are difficult to find and even when I have asked for mine to come to me for a water refill or more ginger, it can take up to 10+ minutes for them to get to you. I actually saw my food come out and sit at the end of the sushi bar for 13 minutes before he even knew it was there and would bring it over.
I do come back for the food, and have requested the so far one server that is attentive since then.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Exceptional sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was our first time to try the sushi here, the couple we went with recommended it. We tried several different rolls, to name a few, Sex and the City ( wonderful), Soft Shell Crab Roll (delightful), Oh My God( oh my god) and Samba ( outstanding). All in all I would highly recommend Tani, but if your going to visit with someone, don't. My only complaint is it is very, very noisy, almost impossible to have a conversation. I do have to say it was a Friday night at 8:30. I would definitely go back again.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
“Oh My God!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Really. Oh my God! On of the sushi delights we sampled at Tani Sushi restaurant is titled "Oh My God" and it is delicious.

We were determined to have some sushi in St Louis before we left. It is unfortunate that it was after the boys had to leave for home, but we had a great time with them at the zoo.

We arrived just as they opened for supper service and were quite impressed with the decor: a dark modern setting with Asian flair. Our order combined the sampler sushi platter with some specialty makizushi (rolled sushi) and they brought them to the table as the chef prepared them.

The first to arrive was the nigiri platter and the Oh My God! roll in its flaming glory. The nigiri platter was chef's choice and an excellent selection of different tunas and sea bass. The Oh My God roll was a pleasure. From the menu: shrimp tempura, crab, shrimp, avocado, spicy sauce (which we asked not to have), and eel sauce – on a flaming plate. The server said this is their most popular dish and it is easy to see why – it is really delicious.

Next arrived the eel nigiri – which I ordered (I love the eel and eel sauce); then the Philly roll (smoked salmon, cream cheese, tamago, and avocado). The eel was great, but I'd have been fine without the Philly roll. It wasn't bad, just not great.

Great saved its place for last. We splurged and ordered the lobster roll and it was worth it. It arrived quite late and I was afraid I'd be too full to enjoy it. That fear was allayed when I took the first bite. The lobster roll is made from an entire lobster tail: part is fried tempura style as nuggets on a bed of micro-greens, the rest is prepared as a maki (rolled). The small pieces are served in a martini glass set on a plate surrounded by the sliced roll and sauce. It was fantastic. All three of us couldn't say enough good things about it.

For desert we had a delicate fried pastry with chocolate served on banana ice cream from a local creamery: Serendipity. A sweet bite and a great way to round out our fantastic meal.

cross-posted: http://ourmagicjourney.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-tani-sushi-oh-my-god.html

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Carolina
“Great sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

try the oh my god sushi roll. They have several other very good specialities as well.

Visited May 2012
Nashville, TN
“The Best So FAR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Tani Sushi Bistro has really good sushi! I have order several different rolls and I have not been disappointed yet. They are expensive so plan to spend around $30. If you are going on the weekend make sure you make a reservation. It is a small venue. Some of my favorites; jalapeno roll, OMG, geisha roll.

• Visited February 2012