“Neighborhood gem” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
De Mun Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 51 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Memphis, Tennessee
“Neighborhood gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Had this place on my 'to do' list for awhile, & I wasn't disappointed. Very chic but small seafood bistro on the corner of Demun & Rosebury, just west of Forest Park. Lively late Saturday aftn bar scene, but the service was nonetheless attentive, knowledgeable, & punctual. I wasn't over-hungry, but did want an immersion in my favorite bivalve. I had one each of the 5 offered Pacific oysters, each about $3, but well worth it w/ the saltiness deep ocean flavor of each piece. Also added a few cocktail shrimp to my raw course, which were large & delicious. Had the oyster stew for my final course. A generous portion served in a small china tureen was nicely balanced b/t the shellfish, bacon, vegetables, & cream. There were a few chalkboard fish specials also available. Not that this is something that would bring me back or keep me away if all else were unremarkable, but I did enjoy the pretty, eclectic china used to serve all courses. I'll definitely be back.

Paducah, Kentucky
“Great food but be prepared for slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My family and I found De Mun Oyster Bar on a reservation booking website and it was listed as a neighborhood gem. They fly their seafood in fresh daily and specialize in west coast oysters. The night we were there they were very understaffed and despite the fact that we had reservations, we still had to wait for a table. This place is tiny so that wasn't a surprise or a big deal. Once seated we did get water right away, but it was another 30 minutes before we ever got to see a menu. We seriously considered leaving. The food once we got it was great. It was nice to get to try a variety of oysters and their chef did a great job with the entrees. I ordered the cioppino which is a seafood stew. It was tasty, but when it was brought out the server did not bring a spoon. I finally got a spoon and asked for some bread to go with my meal. By the time I got some bread I was nearly finished. If you are not in a hurry are are out near the zoo, give them a try.

Visited March 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Rude management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Oyster chowder was best ever had, including east coast restaurants, Waiter was friendly and jovial. That is the end of the good news. The manager who greeted us at the door was rude; asked if we had reservations; laughable moment since there were two tables of 6 and 4 respectively dining. All other tables were empty. Our party of two was told we could sit at the bar and order from the full menu. When we left one hour later, one of the three tables for two were seated. Where were the guests who were going to enjoy the comfortable chairs and dinner table? We left with poor first impression and aching backs.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
“Best oyster in Clayton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We ordered 4 types of oyster, and all of them are fresh and amazing. Remember you can get coupon from Restaurant.com.

Visited October 2013
Centralia, Missouri, United States
“Very nice, unique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Very good, but a little pricey I thought. Had oyster Caesar salad which was good. Large selection of wine, but a little over priced.

• Visited September 2013