“Okay Sandwiches, Poor Attitudes” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 46 Restaurants in Carthage
Cuisines: American
Detroit, Michigan
“Okay Sandwiches, Poor Attitudes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arrived at the Carthage Deli at about 5:30, half an hour before closing time. There were two young ladies working, and it was very clear that they were not happy that we were there (I guess because it was close to the end of the day). I could understand this attitude if the food we ordered involved a great deal of prep, or even the use of a grill or some other equipment, but it did not. They made us feel quite uncomfortable, and we kept apologizing for coming in so late (though, to be fair, we ordered, ate and left well before closing time).

We ordered two sandwiches, which, although not bad, were nothing special. The bread was the same stuff you can buy at a grocery store, made with lunchmeat, lettuce, and cheese. It was the same kind of sandwich I could make at home (though for much less money). I wouldn't even have a problem with this, except for how rude the workers were and how uncomfortable they made us feel. If they don't want to serve anyone after a certain time, then they should just close earlier.

If you are looking for a quick bite to eat in a cool historical setting, the Carthage Deli might be the place for you, as long as it is earlier in the day. If I am ever in the area again, I won't be back.

• Visited July 2013