“Off I-55, worth the 5 minutes” 4 of 5 stars

314 S. Lorimier Street, Cape Girardeau, MO
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Memphis
“Off I-55, worth the 5 minutes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My friend found this hidden gem on Urban spoon and we couldn't have been happier. We were traveling to St. Louis for the weekend and eating local beats helping corporate America ANYDAY. (Ahem McDonald's) Adam was the friendly voice that answered the phone that particular day and he was very kind in providing us with easy directions. The bistro is an old house that appears to be built in the 1900's with the original claw tub still in the bathroom. They have all sorts of different coffee's to choose from and a delicious lunch menu. You can choose from soups, salads and different sandwiches. The only thing missing from this house was possibly a little landscape outside. The house blends with the neighborhood and probably is mistaken for a HOUSE rather a bistro. After leaving, make sure to walk down only a few yards to view the MIGHTY MISSISSIPPI.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Poplar Bluff, Missouri
“Quaint Bistro Offering Lots of Delicious Variety -including Vegan Options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My Partner and I are both vegans (we do not consume meat, dairy, eggs, or any other animal product), so planning ahead is a must when we travel. This was our first trip to Cape for a weekend getaway and I did a little research beforehand to find a few places that may offer vegan food options (or easily veganizable).

I found West Bank Bistro on Facebook and sent a quick message inquiring if they offered any vegan options. They replied that they try to always have at least one vegan soup and sandwich option available, but they would welcome any additional suggestions, as well. I was immediately impressed with their willingness to accommodate and even take suggestions!

Before I get to the quality of the food, let me just say, this place is absolutely adorable. The atmosphere is just perfect, if you enjoy dining in structures with lots of history.... which I do. According to the owner/manager Kevin, the house was built in 1905, and many of the details are still the same. Even a claw-foot tub remains in the ladies' restroom.

It was a very hot day when we were there, or else we may have chosen to dine outside on the wrap veranda or patio, which had several tables available. However, Labor Day Weekend was horribly hot and humid, so we chose the air-conditioned interior of the Bistro.

About the food: Delish. I highly recommend the White Bean Ragout, which is a sort of white bean soup containing various veggies and spices, including a topping of spinach leaves and tomatoes, with garlic-balsamic reduction (if memory serves me correctly... but don't quote me on that exact description. I just know it was very tasty). Additionally, we had the most amazing hummus I, personally, had ever tasted. This particular hummus was a white bean variety, rather than the typical chickpea type. It had a bit of a kick to it due to the chipotle and roasted red peppers. Simply perfect with the toasted bread we used for dipping. I cannot recall the sandwich my partner had, but it was actually vegetarian on the menu. However, she just had them hold the cheese to make it vegan.

They also have non-dairy milks on hand for making vegan smoothies, and I really enjoyed my Peach Almond Milk smoothie, Give that one a shot... you won't regret it.

We truly enjoyed our visit to West Bank Bistro. It wasn't just the atmosphere, or even the delicious food. I think it was a combination of those two things, along with the great conversation and company of our hosts - Kevin and Adam.... who also happened to be some pretty great people to chat with while we enjoyed our meal.

We will definitely be back.

• Visited August 2013