“Really Can't Recommend” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Missouri
“Really Can't Recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband visited Massa's several years ago and every once in awhile would mention it in passing. Decided to try this place this past Saturday evening for my first visit and his second. Ultimately, I will not come back to this place. It's not that it was terrible, but it wasn't particularly good either. This place has a following for sure as it is always busy, but I don't see the draw. It's very small, cramped, and dim (too dim). Service started off pretty slow, but then did pick up so it was adequate. We started off with the artichoke dip appetizer with crostini. Ok I love artichoke dip. I had one or two bites and then no more. Too salty, too much mayo... Hard to pin point the issue, but overall not good in my opinion. Also this is a minor point but I certainly would not classify the bread they brought out with it as crostini - it was too thick and basically just garlic bread- which i ended up eating plain as it was better that way than with the dip. For dinner I had ravoli and my husband had some sort of baked pasta. Both were just ok. I hate to say it, but I haven't had chef boyardee in years and I would actually rank the meat sauce in the cans of CB as better than the meat sauce that came with the pastas. Portion's were adequate and we came home with leftovers. I really was not excited about eating my leftovers, but I am also of the mind to not waste food (but I would have rather tossed it altogether). Price wise- for pasta's it's probably on par with other Italian places in the area. If you get an entree you are spending a little more (maybe 18-20 bucks per person). I did have to laugh that they upcharge you for blue cheese dressing (1.50 more)- I really wanted to ask why. Is it homemade? - are they making the blue cheese themselves?- I've just never seen an upcharge for a dressing. In any case, as stated before I would not come back. If you are looking for Italian and not wanting to travel to the hill there are other places in the area that will hook you up with something decent - cugino's or cannolies in florissant are two that come to mind.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Kirksville, Missouri
“Wow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My family and I visited Massa's because it was suggested by the front desk staff at our hotel near STL, and our desire to avoid chains when we can. For an appetizer we ordered toasted ravioli. My wife had a chicken dish with a light sauce, one child had beef ravioli, another had a pizza, and I had a Cajun pasta dish. All of the dishes were delicious and the service was excellent. Definitely a local family-owned restaurant very much worth patronizing!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Omaha, Nebraska
“Very Good Italian Near the Airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Dined at Massa's per the recommendation of the front desk at the Crowne Plaza. We took the free shuttle over.
Massa's doesn't look like much from the outside and is very intimate on the interior.
Their house dressing is great. I had originally ordered Thousand Island, but they were out. I'm glad they were. Try it!
I ordered the ravioli and they give you about a dozen in, I assume, their house sauce. The sauce is very good, not too salty. The ravioli was average, something I could get at most Italian restaurants, but the sauce was better.
The service at the hotel was quick and very attentive to your needs.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Georgia
“Like Nonni's Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This little easy to miss family run place is truly a hidden gem. I'm from Georgia and go there about 3 times a year and every time we go Massa's I and my crew are never disappointed. We are treated like family and the food's freshness and taste as home cooked as my Nonni's. Try the Chicken Bianco with an Italian salad with a baked ravioli appetizer. Yummy! Upon request they will use St. Louis's own provel cheese which I am partial to. No need to run to the Hill when you have Massa's.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
STL
“great classic little family italian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

great classic little family italian restaurant. Great location if you are staying at Crowne Plaza airport (Fridays is not so hot!). Suggest it!!!

Visited July 2013