“Adequate Experience” 4 of 5 stars

25% off room rate
Ranked #24 of 149 Hotels in Branson
“Adequate Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We recently stayed four nights in the "hotel" section. The poster previous to me pretty much nailed it, but to summarize:
1. Room was adequate, but pretty clean. Our refrigerator made a whining noise, so I had to keep whacking it to make it stop. We told the front desk, but no one ever came to fix it. The bathroom has no fan, so it always got very foggy.
2. Front desk person at check in was less than stellar. Our room wasn't ready, and she could have just said that, which would have been fine since we were early, but we got a whole story about housekeeping instead. Tried to ask about whether the hotel was full the night after our stay in case we wanted to stay an extra night, but we had to ask several ways to get it across.
3. Nice that there is coffee in the morning and ice water later by the front door.
4. The restaurant is old (and separate from the hotel, in the theater building, although there is a covered walkway). I was told they are redoing it next year. Contrary to some other reviews, I thought the food there was pretty good. We had breakfast vouchers, but it would have been fine for $8. We did eat there for lunch a few times a la carte, and the food came out fast, hot and tasty. My burger and wings were excellent. Fried pickles were spot on. It's just the atmosphere that is lacking.
5. The "waterpark" - Splashatorium - was disappointing. One indoor/outdoor pool and one water slide do not a "water park" make. The kiddie splash area was of no interest to us. If you're thinking Great Wolf Lodge from the ads, vanish that thought. No lifeguards. Could use some colored lights for more atmosphere around pool at night. There was something about needing wristbands to enter, but we never got any from the desk and just went in.
6. Around the pool are outdoor/indoor things like ping pong, pool table, etc. So there is some stuff like that.
7. Nice that it is off the strip.
8. Not enough luggage carts. Front door to the hotel is manual and small so taking stuff in and out is a pain.
9. Didn't do the mini-golf, but thought the supply of putters that sits inside the hotel with the balls was lacking. We did see people doing it, but as mentioned, it is nothing terribly fancy.

Might stay again for a night or two, but will look around elsewhere too.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
WelkBranson, Guest Relations Manager at Welk Resort Branson, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for your review. We encourage our guests to let others know about their stay.
We are glad you found value in your room and our restaurant. We believe our restaurant provides a unique service in our market: quality food delivered anywhere on property. We are finishing up plans for a total renovation of our dining area at the resort.
We would like to apologize if our associates were not as helpful as they could be. We know there can be challenges with a stay, but in-attentive staff should not be one of them. We will make sure they see this review.
We would also like to apologize if we did not meet your expectations for our water attraction, the Splash-A-Torium. We do not advertise it as a “water park”, but rather an attraction that is part of our resort package, that includes the activities center with daily activities, our game room, and fitness center. We believe in presenting all aspects of our resort in the most honest way possible, to avoid any misunderstandings. We are sorry if that was the case. Thank you again for your review and we hope you will return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Gardner, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My wife and I just got back from a one night stay at Welks.
A couple of pre-notes to my review: A) We were here as part of a “come listen to our timeshare presentation” gift, and B) We were staying on the hotel side (not the resort side).

I’ll divide my review into 1) Service, 2) The Hotel, 3) The Timeshare presentation (The “tour”)

1) Service:
-Service was both terrible and great at the same time. Check in took an extremely long time, which was frustrating. However, once we were actually checking in, the girl that was helping us (whoever was working even on 8/9) was awesome. She gave us some great recommendations on what to do that night, gave us great directions, and a map of the routes that shows how to avoid a lot of the worst traffic through town (anyone that has been to Branson knows that traffic is terrible on “the strip” going through town. Check out was even worse than check in. They had one person working the hour before checkout time, which seems ridiculous when they force checkout time at 10:00 AM. The concierge desk was very unhelpful. They didn’t know anything about the “tour” or the benefits of it and acted like we were bothering them in asking questions or trying to get our parking pass. Overall, service was good. Not bad. Not great. Just good. Nothing that a “resort hotel” should be proud of, I didn’t feel the service was any better than a cheap $50/night hotel.

2) The Hotel:
-Welks is supposed to be a resort / resort hotel. I felt like it was a standard hotel. Much like the service, it wasn’t bad, but there’s nothing that made me go “I want to go back!”

Room:
-The room itself was clean, bed was a queen sized spring bed, pillows were standard cotton filled pillows. Shower had multiple settings on it (spray, massage, etc) and was hot, but the bathroom itself had no heater or vent, so the bathroom was cold walking in and steamed up too much.

-Room had a TV, mini-fridge, safe (did not use), thermostat A/C (as opposed to “high/low” on the unit, we could set the temperature). The TV had all the standard Branson channels, but no guide so it was a pain to find channels. The fridge was small, and there was no microwave so had we been there more than a night it would have been pointless.

-The room had 3 lights (besides bathroom): entryway, desk, and bedside table. It only had a single bedside table light (in the center between two beds), with one setting: bright. That was frustrating when my wife wanted to read and I wanted to watch TV. Either it was a bright light in the center of the room (creating a glare on the TV) or no light there and she had to sit at the desk to read.

Outside the Room:
-In todays day and age, expecting a hotel visitor to pay for breakfast at the hotel is antiquated at best, a ripoff at worst. The hotel breakfast, while inexpensive ($8/person, $6/child), was nothing to write home about. It was your standard affair of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffles (from the “pour your own” waffle maker), fruit, cereal, bread/bagels. While it had a few more options than your standard place (pancakes), it wasn’t anything better than the free hot breakfast you get at most places. The “restaurant” itself was dirty, with a room to the side of it being so messy you could see dustballs on the ground.
-The hotel touted a mini-golf course. It had one, and it was laughable. Branson, as a city, as mini-golf courses that are huge and amazing. This one was a small course with nothing great about it. It was just kind of… there. I didn’t even bother to try to play.
-The hotel pool (not resort pool, see below for that) was a very small pool with nothing but water. No slide, diving board, cabanas, or anything. It was worse than the motel pools up in Branson.
-The resort pool, also known as the Splashitorium, does look great. We didn’t use it, since we spent the day at Whitewater, but it was a large indoor/outdoor pool with a great play area for kids and a water slide (as in, twisty turney slide, not just a straight slide into the water). However, it costs extra to use that pool if you are a hotel guest. We got “free” access through our timeshare “gift.”

-Overall, the hotel felt like a Super 8: it was a place to sleep, not real complaints, but there was nothing about it that was great, and nothing that would have justified the price tag had we not had a discount for coming to listen to the timeshare.

3) The Timeshare Presentation:
-This was your standard “sit and listen for two hours” deal. They told you about their buy in process (a hotel/resort buy in, rather than a timeshare property), and then you get your free gifts at the end.
-It’s NOT a timeshare as in “own a property, use it once a year.” It’s a resort travel “membership” that gets access to resorts.
-The lady we got was great. She understood from the start that there was nothing she was going to say that would convince us to buy. I told her when we sat down that we were here because we were promised free tickets to Orlando and a baseball game back home. She said after our 120 minutes were up, we could get those and leave. She did not try to pressure us at all.
-The presentations are one on one, meaning you aren’t in a room with a bunch of people listening. There were dozens of groups going on at the same time. I heard other salesmen who were much more pushy about their benefits, so we got lucky.
-The resort rooms she showed us looked beautiful. In another life (maybe 10 years or so, when I’m not traveling the way that I am), they would actually be nice resort rooms to stay in. I actually do recommend listening to their deal, because if that style of travel fits you, it may actually be a good deal.
-I was turned off of Welks by the closer. He came in after 110 minutes of us listening to the first lady. He sat down to “finalize the sale.” I said straight up that this was not my style of travel, I wasn’t interested. He said that if I’m not going to use it yet, I could “rent out” my points to make the money back. When I said that it would make more sense for me not to buy in now since I’m not a resort traveler, he tried to make me sign away my free gift (the reason we were there) because it is a resort as well. When I said that the reason we were there is because it’s a free trip, he said it’s “not a free trip.” I said that I understand I have to pay for taxes, and he said “it’s not exactly free.” When I responded that I am still intending to use the gift that brought us there, he got visibly angry, slammed the paper down on the table and said “enjoy your trip” and stormed off. VERY unprofessional.
-We did get our free gifts: vouchers for the ballgame and a form to send in to get our free trip to Orlando. We have not yet used them, so if there are any issues with using them, I will either update this post if possible or make a new post to reflect.

Overall thoughts:
Welks Resort is a run of the mill hotel, if you are going to the hotel. There are a lot of options in Branson that cost the same or less and you get the same or more. I can’t say I would never stay there, but it isn’t somewhere I’d seek out again. Because of how much of a jerk the “closer” was with the “tour” sales pitch, I have no desire to give my money to Welks again, and if I ever do consider a resort ownership of that nature, I’ll seek out a different company.

Room Tip: Lots of kids, so be prepared for screaming/running in the halls.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
WelkBranson, Guest Relations Manager at Welk Resort Branson, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay. We are glad to see you enjoyed and found value in some of the aspects of your stay.
We are sorry you had a wait when checking out. We encourage our guests to use our Express Checkout which allows guests to call the front desk and let them know they are checking out. If you did not get that information we are sorry. Our mini-golf course is a free amenity we provide to our guests. It is not intended to compete with the other courses in town, but an added free amenity. Most people really enjoy it. Our Splash-A-Torium is part of our resort package which includes use of our game room, fitness center and activities center. If a guest is not interested in using the Splash-A-Torium or the resort amenities during their stay, we offer a rate that does not include the resort package amenities. We do have a small hotel pool for all of our guests to use. We cannot speak to your experience taking a tour of our vacation ownership properties, as this is a hotel page, and our responses are to your hotel stay. We are sorry if you had any issues with your stay. We will pass your comments on to our associates.
Manchester, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We recently had our family reunion in this resort and the staff was wonderful. They helped up set up rooms to play card and show home movies and found a wheel chair for us to use for one of our family members. The rooms were clean and the grounds were beautiful. The Splashatorium was a big hit. The breakfast buffet was good with a large variety.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
It’s great to hear that your family reunion was so enjoyable. We love hosting families in the summer, and it gives us such a warm feeling of pride when we can provide outstanding service. Thank you for your kind review and please come back and see us soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Very disappointed. 1. Check in took forever and they front desk ladies were not friendly 2. Handicap doors were not working at the Stagedoor Restaurant. 3. Staff was not flexible to accommodate the customer needs at the front desk. 4. Bathroom door was off-center and would not close properly and mattress was sunken in the middle in one of the 3rd. floor rooms my relative stayed in. 5. Made reservations way in advance and some rooms were not ready, Front desk person had an attitude when we voiced our concerns about waiting too long for room. Stagedoor Resturant tables were dirty at breakfast and had to find someone to come and clean the sticking rings and crumbs off the tables that had fresh place settings. Last but not least, the food was terrible at the Stagedoor Restaurant at dinner time, steak was very well done/dry, broccoli was cold and gravy for the chicken fried steak was two different colors. The only good thing was the Splash-a-torium.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay.
We are sorry to hear you had so many challenges with your stay. Please accept our sincerest apology if everything did not exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves on being able to provide gracious service, even when challenges arise. Be assured we will share your comments with our associates. We hope you will return and give us an opportunity to show you what the majority of our guests’ experience: a valued stay with warm, and gracious associates.
O'Fallon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

When you visit the Welk Resort, see Kim Steele!!! I was taken care of from the moment I walked into the hotel to register till the moment I left. The customer service, the attention to detail and the friendliness were top notch. I travel a lot, and this was the first place I stayed where I was treated like I was someone special. I loved the area, the grounds were beautiful and I came away from my spontaneous vacation a very happy returning customer!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
It’s so great to hear such positive comments from such a seasoned traveler. We are so glad you chose us and can’t wait to see you again! Please visit us soon.
Eureka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

After reading reviews we decided to stay here. We got a great deal when we booked directly through them. A couple of things did bother us. No microwaves in the rooms and the refrigerator was tiny!! We felt the restaurant was way over priced. The Black and Blue cheeseburger was horrible! The grounds are beautiful and the waterpark was a lot of fun for the kids. Why they had to be over 14 years old to be by themselves is beyond me in the pool. Check in took forever!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your stay.
We are so sorry you did not enjoy your food at our restaurant. We will alert our associates to your comments. We sincerely apologize.
We do ask that children under 14 be accompanied by a legal adult when swimming in our pool, or using our game room. With the hundreds of families who are staying at our resort at any given time it is a safety and liability issue, that we hope you can understand.
Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We took our grandkids for one night. We loved it. Splashatorium was great and rooms were nice and clean. The kids had so much fun. We will definitely be going back when we can stay longer and participate in all the activities that are offered there.

• Stayed August 2014
WelkBranson, General Manager at Welk Resort Branson, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
So glad to hear you and your grandkids enjoyed the Splash-A-Torium. We hope you can come back and enjoy the daily, planned activities we have to offer at our Activities Center. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Been to Welk Resort Branson? Share your experiences!