“Almost Five Stars!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
“Almost Five Stars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Chateau on the Lake. It is the nicest hotel in Branson. The service is impeccable and the staff is very friendly. We were met by the bellman who not only delivered our luggage to our room, but also filled our ice bucket. The rooms are beautiful and well appointed. We also enjoyed the beautiful view outside and inside a running stream is terrific! Why only 4 stars? A bird. A noisy, irritating bird. Some birds have a beautiful song. This bird? Sounds much like a trash truck backing up. Try taking a nap with sound? Nigh unto impossible. It just boggles my mind that a hotel that trys so hard would persist in housing this bird. I would have happily scored this a hotel 5 stars, but the continued presence of this annoyance tells me that someone at the hotel is more enamored with a bird than with providing a 5 star experience. Chateau, get rid of the bird!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had a good stay at the Chateua. Our room wasn't ready when we checked in, so we did have to wait about 30 minutes. The room was very nice and very spacious. If you are watching TV and need to use the bathroom, don't worry you won't miss anything. There are tv speakers in the bathroom so you can still hear your show. That was a first! Overall, I think The Chateau is overpriced for what you get. We did have an awesome view of the lake with a small balcony on our room. The room was clean. There is no refrigerator in the rooms, no free breakfast and no free wifi except in the lobby. So, you are really just paying for the room and the "prettiness" of the place. That being said, it is a beautiful hotel. They have a movie theater in the basement with free popcorn. The pool and other facilities are nice. We did not try the restaurant or look in any of the shops while we were there. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay, but glad we had a group discount and did not pay full price as we don't think it would be worth it.

Room Tip: Even rooms with a partial lake view give you a good view of the lake.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a business conference for four days in June. If you are used to places like the Hampton Inn, the resort will please you. If you are searching for more modern decor within walking distance of restaurants/shopping then I would stay at the Hilton at Branson Landing. We didn't eat at the restaurants except for the small cafe on the first level. Our breakfast and dinner was provided for our conference in the meeting rooms. The eggs were so rubbery and fake and the coffee was the worst I've had at resorts like this. This resort will be very dated in a few years.
Here are the major pros/cons:
Pros:
1. Beautiful lake view and grounds were excellent.
2. Private marina to rent boats . They also have kayaks and paddle boats for free to guests. The Boat House on the marina had some good quality Table Rock lake apparel if you want to pick up
a t-shirt.
3. Service was good. We had no complaints and there were plenty of people around to help you.

Cons:
1. Beds were uncomfortable, even my 10 year old complained. The pillows were hard and lumpy. This is Hugely important to get a good nights sleep, especially b/ c this was a work-related trip.

2. Be ware of the balconies if you have one. Two of my co-workers were locked out of their room when they stepped out to see the view. One of the co- workers two daughters were stuck out on the balcony for 4 hours. The door lock sticks when you shut it so beware.

3. Tap water was terrible- Complimentary bottles of water would have been nice, especially not having a mini fridge.

4. No exhaust fan in bathroom.

• Stayed June 2012
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear kit628

Thanks for taking the time to share youor feedback follwing your most recent stay. Your comments are certainly noted, as is always the case. If determined as plausible and not a financial hardship immediate corrective action will be taken to your suggestions.

It is a AAA requirement that all sliding doors to balconies have locking devices. With that said, the comment about people being locked out on their balconies is something that can occur. In order to minimize that from happening each sliding glass door has signage with instructions printed in red warning our guests that they will be locked out on the balcony if the locking mechanism is not left in a certain position before going out onto the balcony. The doors were designed with safety in mind.

Yes indeed there are other lodging facilities in Branson to choose from and we are very appreciative of your groups business and the relationship we have had with them for the past 15 years and we hope for many more years to come.

Hopedale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The view! If you are not staying there then go get a glass of wine at the bar and just sit and watch the sunset. If you don't think its one of the best things you have done in Branson, then ignore all my reviews... we are very different people... The room was beautiful and I was so relaxed on my vacation walking around the beautiful hotel. The breakfast was nice and a perfect start to my day. Its more relaxing than being in the hustle and bustle of the Branson strip and downtown Branson.

Room Tip: Face the lake and get a balcony... its worth every penny that you pay more! Do not stay on the 3rd f...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Hope Travelot:

I will admit that I am bias however I love your review comments. I would like to think that there are a lot more "different" people out there like you and me. We certainly do appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Chateau.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This was everything that i could of asked for. Nice people, nice scenery. it was to die for. I most definitely will be back here again!! the food was expensive. but i expected that. pull is 24hours. they also had a movie theater. mainly showed kids movies but they still had one.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear djphilgood:

We certainly do appreciate your kind words about our resort and we hope to see you again real soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Visited the Spa and while the masseuses were wonderful - the check in and out staff were pretty snooty. It was a girls day out and we had great spa service but then to check out we received the nose in the air treatment it seemed. We got the giggles in the little shop there but were not obnoxious or loud - just giggly. That seemed to offend. I have no idea. They didn't ask how our massages were or our service or to have a nice day and had to ask twice to get a response on which door to exit out of to access which parking lot. (We entered through a completely different door and we were a little turned around.) Also a 50 minute massage was $115 which for this area is quite high. Generally you pay between $40 and $75.

We also had to return our whole meal that was room serviced into the ladies lounge because the food quality was terrible. HOWEVER the waiter and manager bent over backwards to make things right. They assured us this was not their typical food quality and took our complete bill away even though some items we argued with them about because they were good or we had consumed them all. They took care of it anyway - which was very impressive and appreciated. I would absolutely give the food service a second chance. I would the spa as well - but this time would probably confront or have something to say to spa management while I am still there.

I would also like to say that with the spa we were impressed that we could all four get a massage at the same time with 4 hours notice. Not sure if that is typical but we were glad of that.

If the hotel reads this - please lose the knobby shoes! They are hideous and so uncomfortable (for me at least) and look like old mens shower shoes!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kaliedoscopegirl:

We appreciate your review and I just wanted to let you know, since your last visit to our Spa Chateau we have made some changes to our Spa Menu following your suggestions. I am sorry to say, the "nubby" slippers are still being used.

All the best and we look forward to seeing you again real soon.

West Plains, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Booked what we thought was a great deal through Travelzoo and found out while we were there that it was pretty much the going rate and still expensive for what we got and how we were initially treated. We upgraded to a King suite with the deal but it was supposed to be a view off of the front of the hotel which had a lake and dam view just not the full lake view you pay a little extra for. We booked for the Sunday and Monday at the end of the Memorial day weekend and and did the confirmation call and confirmed that we had a balcony room. We were driving through Branson several weeks before our booking and decided to see the hotel where we would be staying so we stopped and asked to see a room like we would be staying in and they told us it would not be possible. They did confirm though that we had a balcony room on the front of the hotel. When we arrived for our visit our luggage was in disarray because we had to rummage around in it to find a couple of things on our trip and a few things were scattered in the vehicle. We did not want the bell person to have to wait around on us so we requested that we could get a luggage cart so we could get our things in order and we would just do it in our own time. It was a pain when the doorman brought the cart over and wouldn't leave. We felt like we were rushed with him breathing down our backs. It was embarassing being there and our things not ready and his head poking in trying to get whatever he could. We wanted a private moment to get things together and it was not private at all. I didn't know it but he shadowed my wife to the room with the cart and she did not have cash on her for a tip while I parked the truck. I had to park in the parking garage and back in so that I had the kayak pinned against the wall and the cap down so it was difficult for it to be stolen. I was hoping that the security gates on the garage were working but one was missing totally. When my wife got to the room she found a brown recluse spider on the lamp shade when she went to turn the light on. I was not going to mess with it soshe called 4 star hotel. It took 15 minutes for somebody to get rid of it. We were wanting to leave to go eat and it seemed like an eternity. The room was not on the front of the hotel it was lakefront, but there was no balcony just half windows and we noticed that there were pets everywhere on the floor. Then we found out that there were fireworks that night off the front of the hotel for Memorial day so I guess we had been moved to the pet floor to accomodate somebody booking for the fireworks. The lights from the pool obscured the lake view at night on the 3rd floor. Don't drink the bottle of water on the counter that looks complimentary that other hotels do. It is $3 The carpet looks faded and the bed felt soft and comfortable to begin with but it soon felt lumpy, but I am a sensitive sleeper. The linens did feel nice but the pillows flattened with the weight of your arm. The next day when I decided to go to the desk and say something about what room we recieved they did change rooms without a hassle. I should never have had to say anything. If they had documented that I came to check out my room they should have known I would say something. when it wasn't what I had booked. The upgrade was not an upgrade. I do not want to be walking around after somebody elses pets when I do not have one. I love animals but not staying after them on my anniversary trip. Our room was long and narrow and felt crowded all the time we were there. We felt like we had to get out not to be crowded. The atriums and restaraunts were beautiful but the prices for the food were outrageous. --- like around $5 for a bagel and on up. The staff is nice but not welcoming like most of the ozarks are. Try to walk from your car and stop at the pool with a soft drink cup and you will be scolded. They will bring you ice water which is nice or you will pay for thier drinks which are very high. If you have a soda you had in your room you cannot bring it to the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from stars. Sounds like an earthquake when kids rumble down them to get to the p...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear trippinalil:

As an AAA four diamond resort there are service standards that we are required to provide in order to retain that designation! Our goals are to provide a level of service to meet if not exceed our guests’ expectations. It certainly is our intention to do our very best to accommodate the various requests of our guests and there are occasions when we do fail.

Memorial Day weekend was an exceptionally busy weekend and with it came the normal challenges of providing excellence in service for a large number of people.

Your comments pertaining to your stay are certainly of concern and I trust our failures were isolated in nature and will not become a deterring factor in your patronage of the Chateau in the future. Please accept my apologies and thank you taking the time to post your review.

Stephen Marshall

Been to Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!