“This place is outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 314 Restaurants in Branson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Houston, Texas
“This place is outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Great fun, great food, great music! We've visited this place every time we go to Branson and our kids have grown up over that time. We find the food great and the value inline with a tourist town. The entertainment is a treat for sure. Bernie Parquette and Matt have watched our kids go from kindergarten to almost college age. We've seen one or two reviews on here putting down the christian music. Well, if the christian music stops at Mel's that would end our visits. They sing all kinds of music from country to pop to rock and yes, christian.

You've got to make this place a must do on your trip to find out this hidden treasure. Get some good food and have a fun time doing it! Thanks, Branson!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Love Mel's Hard Luck Diner! It's such a fun part of vacation. You want everything you do to be something you can't do at home. This is truly a one of a kind experience. Old fashioned diner food is what you get and the desserts are so good but you need a family to eat them! The old fashioned soda fountain is so neat for the kids. I highly recommend visiting Mel's!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Mel's Hard Luck is amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have loved this place for many years. We recommend it to anyone who loves good food with a good atmosphere. The singers are talented and get the crowd going. The service is very efficient and friendly. We will always go to Mel's when we're in Branson!

Moweaqua, Illinois
“Best Root Beer Float!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have been going to Branson at least once a year for about 10 years. I can hardly wait till I get to drink one of their old fashion root beer floats! The staff is always friendly! They have some of the best talent in Branson and you get to hear it for free as they bring you your food. Their food is a little pricey but well worth it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Springville
“Used to be my favorite”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This place has really gone downhill. It was always my favorite place to visit growing up. We'd go at least once a year for several years...but it's to the point where I probably won't go back. The prices have gotten ridiculous. The music has gotten boring. It used to be a 50's style place and they'd sing fun oldies and country. Now...I had to ask someone to sing something upbeat. All the singers were singing slow gospel songs. And honestly not very well. I hate to be mean...but I was just really disappointed in it this time...and the last several times it wasn't as much fun as it used to be. Plus when we went it was so loud. The staff members were behind the food counter loudly talking and laughing...wasn't very professional.

I could handle of this...but it was towards the end of our trip and I was running low on money...so I was looking for something cheap on the menu. I ordered a grilled cheese...it was 10.00 and was about the cheapest thing there. The description said hold on to this with both hands! I expected like a good thick cheesy sandwich for that price...imagine my surprise when it came out with like one slice of cheese! I can't believe I paid 10.00 for such a dinky sandwich. Mom got a reuben which she said was okay, but she said it was better in the past. Dad got a foot long chili cheese dog he liked. But it was just too much money for what you got...

I don't think I'll be going back...I miss the old Hard Luck Diner.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
kritertracks, Owner at Mel's Hard Luck Diner, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
It of course always saddens me when someone does not enjoy their experience at the diner. My management team and I do not get up in the morning hoping for anything less than pleasing everyone who visits but we are all human too and sometimes we will make mistakes. As can be seen by the vast majority of the more than 500 reviews, we do please most of the folks who visit, for those like this one, I can offer my apology and hope and pray they will give us another chance. The prices haven't changed in over 3 years now so I am not sure when your previous visit was. We have tested several to many recipes for each item on the menu and selected the ones that pleased the majority of our customers. I greatly appreciate Trip Advisor. I value the input. I use it myself to rate places I visit, but I NEVER EVER get personal, mean, or give a bad rating until I give the place the opportunity to explain, correct, and/or a second chance. After all, we are all human, we do make mistakes, jobs are at stake. I do hope you will try us again and if you have a problem, let us know at the time. And we still have a wide variety of singers, including award winners, gospel, country, pop, showtunes, and even an opera singer, but we cannot absolutely guarantee your favorites will always be there. Thanks for listening, Mel

Been to Mel's Hard Luck Diner? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mel's Hard Luck Diner, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.