“Authentic Mexican Food!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Jasper, Georgia
“Authentic Mexican Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

La Iguana is a tiny hole in the wall restaurant. The menu is in Spanish and the owners speak mostly Spanish but speak enough English to help customers navigate . We have spent a lot of time throughout Mexico and THIS is real Mexican food. . The tortillas are hand made and they have a " salsa bar".. It is fun, hospitable and the food is yummy. We recommend it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Kansas
“Excellent and authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I don't know why La Iguana is currently ranked #255 out of 255 Branson restaurants. It is by far the freshest, most delicious Mexican food we've ever had anywhere. We never would have even considered it except that we refined our search to only include Mexican food, and it has mostly very good reviews. We were so happy we chanced it.

Alex, the owner, was very friendly and took a lot of time explaining several items from the menu. We love tamales, and his are homemade from a woman from Veracruz, Mexico. We wanted pork, but that night they only had chicken.....because the tamale lady was in Veracruz visiting! They were wonderful, fresh and authentic. What put them over the top was all the toppings on the "bar." I chose cheese, cilantro and mild sauce, which made a great combination. Halfway through our tamales, our small order of guacamole came, and it was outstanding. I think it was $4.50, and it was so much better than Cantina Laredo's. We had also ordered 5 enchiladas ( I know...too much food, but we couldn't decide), 1 chicken with queso sauce and 4 chicken with green sauce, which Alex said were the best. He was right; they were delicious. The rice and beans that came with the enchiladas were also very good.

La Iguana has several "special" plates that we intend to try next time. Alex told us they hand make the tortillas for those plates as you order. Can't wait!

On the bar are 5 sauces ranging from mild to very hot, all of which are homemade. I'm not a big salsa eater, but the hot and extra hot deserve a special mention here. The hot is made with oil and chile de Arbol, and I've never seen anything like its beautiful, thick consistency. The extra-hot is made with the same chilies, tomatoes, garlic and salt. I wish I could tolerate hot-spicy because they looked great--definitely not your run-of-the-mill sauce bar.

They also have fish tacos, vegetarian burritos, several varieties of Mexican beer and Mexican soda, and margaritas, as well as standard items like burritos, tacos, quesadillas, nachos and tostadas.

From what Alex told us, a lot of locals eat here, and I can see why. Tour buses stay away! The restaurant only holds 29 people. It was very clean, the food was all fresh and delicious, and we had excellent service. It deserves to be in the top of Branson restaurants on Trip Advisor along with Table 22 and Vaskens.

Visited April 2014
“The absolute best Hispanic food in Branson!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

From the first time I walked in, the service and staff have been nothing short of fantastic. But what keeps me coming back is the authentic, wholesome, and tasty food that I consistently receive. Can't beat the food, not to mention the more than reasonable prices. Gotta check it out!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Topeka, Kansas
“Good Food/ Dirty Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Tried this place based on reviews. Apparently they had two locations. The first we tried was closed. A reviewer on another site said they were closed after a Police Raid for meth. I thought they were joking, but it's definitely closed. After seeing the inside I was pleasantly surprised by the food. Same good food you'll get from a roadside taco truck. Not your run of the meal Tex Mex. The restaurant was pretty dirty. Tables and chairs covered with spilled food. The condiment bar was also very dirty, and appeared all the salsas, toppings, and chips were sitting there all day. The sour cream he squirted on my burrito and the guacamole looked like they were mixed half and half with water. It looked disgusting, but surprisingly it was very good. If you are adventurous, enjoy taco trucks, and can look past the lack of cleanliness it's not a bad little place.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City
“Average Food, Filthy Surroundings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My family stopped in here for lunch because it was right next door to our hotel and the reviews were outstanding. It didn't take long to realize we would disagree with those assessments. If you like tomatoey, saucy beef in your tacos or burritos you'll love this place. We don't though, so that was a turn off. The place wasn't very clean, either. The table was sticky, dirty dishes were piled up by the trash waiting to be cleared, and the condiments were sitting out in open containers at room temperature. Nobody in my group of five finished any dish that was ordered. I won't be back.

• Visited March 2014