“Spoiled Thanksgiving Day” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Compton Ridge Campground and Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Branson
Compton Ridge Campground and Lodge
You added Compton Ridge Campground and Lodge to your Saves list
5040 State Highway 265, Branson, MO 65616   |
Ranked #36 of 65 Specialty Lodging in Branson
Kansas
“Spoiled Thanksgiving Day”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

Our family camped with the Sims family for many years. Our
trailer was stored and they would transfer it to our designated
site. It would be sitting at this site when we arrived. No exceptions. The new owners have not impressed us.
Two times it was not sitting on a site when we arrived. They
said someone messed up. Never the same person at the desk.
We were dog tired and had to wait until they found someone
to move it. Another time we discovered someone had stripped
the gears out of our electric jack. Complained to the office with
no response. We are manual now, unless we want to spend
$300 to replace it. We call ahead and reserve a site we like
from the map. Most of the time when we arrive we do not have
that site. No explanation. There are some improvements in
landscaping. This is the only positive thing I can say. The big
finale for us to decide to move the trailer or just sell it is the
advertised Thanksgiving activity. We were told online and on
the phone they would provide the Thanksgiving dinner at no
charge and all we had to was bring a side dish. Of course I
like to do my part. I made a nice cake and a salad. Arrived on
Wednesday night, next morning I went to the office at 9:30 to
inquire about the dinner. It was all locked up, no one was
any where to be found, Finally found one worker who advised
"Oh they have cancelled the dinner" We had to go to town and
try and find a restaurant that was not packed. Finally ate at
a crummy restaurant and spent $50.00 for nothing. Unhappy
YES. Right before we left we were told another new owner
from Arkansas had taked over and did not think he should be
responsible for a dinner he had not planned. Also, rates are
going up, no more transfers from storage. So we have decided
the new motto is "Where Campers Used To Come First"
We are not coming back as soon as we decide what we
are going to do with our trailer. Kansas Flatlander

Stayed November 2008

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

We stayed there 4 times this year. The staff were friendly and helpful to both my wife and myself. They even offered to come down with a cart and take our propane cylinders back up for filling. We needed a washer for our waterline and store staff couldn't find one. Within five minutes one of the men showed up at our unit with the part we needed. Another time our cable tv was awful. Again, a maint man came right down and solved the problem The facilities were clean. We actually now store our unit with them and it is well taken care of and always on our selected site, leveled, and ready for us. This is a heavily forested campground so there are a zillion leaves. The staff was out each day clearing the roads and open campsites . You need to take into consideration that this is no longer a family owned and run campground. There staff can and probably will change from year to year so, no they may not remember you from one year to the next. If you do encounter a problem, contact the owners and give them a chance to correct the situation before you try to ruin them in this forum. We look forward to staying with them numerous times next season.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

We had a family reunion scheduled this month which we had reservations made several months in advance for. When we arrived, however, they had switched computer systems and our reservations had been deleted. Please disregard the previous reviews that state it is a wonderful place. Pay close attention to the dates on the previous reviews! This place has undergone a management change, and the management is HORRIBLE! They offered no recourse for THEIR error. We drove around and found another hotel close to town, and no where near my family reunion. All we wanted them to do was to offer other motels/hotels that might be acceptable. We are not from the Branson area, and felt like we were put out on the street by no error of our own. Some other family members also had problems with their reservations. Needless to say we left early. They ruined my weekend with my family.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

My husband and I have been coming to this campground for YEARS and YEARS and have never had a problem until the new owners took over. The office staff dont have a clue as to what customer service is and they are like programmed robots. They are not friendly. Never smile. Only speak to you if you say something to them first. The employees that work there drive around in their golf carts smoking their cigarettes and look as though they just rolled out of bed and came to work. Whenever you ask them anything they make you feel like you are burdening them and they get ignorant with you. We have had problems every time we have been there. We store our camper there and the only reason we come back is because we already paid for storage and when its up in Nov. we will be taking it home and not ever returning. How helpful is the staff. I called to make reservations two months in advance and the lady even gave me a comfirmation #. Site and dates were correct. We paid our deposit. Everything seemed great. We drive a long way there and its dark when we get there which is ok. We can set up in dark if we could have found our camper. They put our camper on the wrong site and the office was closed. We went to the camper of the staff living at the campground to tell them and the guy never got out of his chair and told my husband that we could set up and then tear it back down in the morning to move to another site because that site was taken. We have a pop up. WHAT!!!!! We had to go around the campground and ask if anyone had a truck with a hitch that would fit our camper so we could move it ourselves. Did i mention it was late. Maybe the cabin would have been ok for the night if they would have offered but we had to fend for ourselves. He never once offered to help. God forbid they do anything after hours. The Sims family would have came and personally moved it although that would have never happened in the first place with them.

• Liked — The Sims family and the beautiful scenery. Sites are nice as well.
  • Disliked — STAFF STAFF STAFF Filthy bath houses
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

We've been staying at Compton Ridge for ten years. The Sims family ran it wonderfully for many, many years - then two years ago a new company took over and their management (use that term loosely) is HORRIBLE.

They will not hesitate to change the campsite you reserved (even a year in advance) to another less desirable site and they will not bother to tell you until you arrive for your stay. We've had this happen the last two reservations - we'll have a confirmation showing the exact campsite we reserved, then call a week in advance only to find out they rented it to a "monthly" renter and had moved us to another site. Basically the monthly renters dollar is more important then the repeat weekend customer's dollar.

Many long time customers of Compton Ridge are not returning. The management is rude and unresponsive, particularly if you have an issue such as the one mentioned above.

I've been an advocate for Compton Ridge for many years, always sending people there to stay. Not anymore.

• Liked — Location & Setting
  • Disliked — Management that knows nothing about customer service.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Missiouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

We have stayed at the Compton Ridge Campground for years and have never been unhappy. The Sims family and staff always went out of there way to help and make you feel welcomed. We stayed in Sept. 2007 and Oct 2007 after new owners took over and both times we were very unhappy with the staff very rude. My husband has always come in with our trailer and set up and then I come and pay. This day I had stop before getting to campground and he said that as soon as he went past the office they came right behind him in the golf cart. He said you would have thought he was going to do somthing wrong now they have to escort you to your camp site if you have been camping there for years why would you need a escort. Bathrooms have always been cleaned in the morning and afternoon not now trash on the floor paper towels out. I stopped by one after noon to see if they had a calander like the one the Sims put out every year and was told no by the Owner she looked up just to say no and went right back to her book work that was very rude she was to busy to talk short and sweet. That made my final decision that I would not ever be back. I work with the public every day and if you want there business you treat them with respect. They are losing business by treating customers like this. Being rude and unfriendly does not do well in a business.

• Disliked — Unfriendly customer service from Owner and Staff.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

We have camped here numerous times over the years and loved it! We sent friends there also, but will NEVER again! When we arrived (after waiting several min. for employee to get off the phone) Judy was VERY rude to me. I felt like I was on a rush assembly line. She would not let us walk or drive to pick out a site (they were at an extremely low capacity), when I asked to be taken by golf cart as we have always done in the past she said NO we could not leave our vehicle in the assigned parking area in front of the office other than to check in! It was very late in the day and there was hardly any business. Not sure of what we needed I ended up with a site that cost $50.00 YES $50 per night! OUTRAGEOUS, it was my husband and I and our 2 children, $50. Then few days later when we returned for the day I sent my oldest to the office for a roll of quarters to wash clothes (they make a profit) and he was told he could only get $4. By the time I finished my shower and found out and headed back to the office to complain because that will only wash 1 load of clothes, the office had CLOSED. grrr! When checking in I questioned the ticket purchase for silver dollar city and Judy was VERY aggitated that I was taking too much time, so I decided we would get the tickets the next morning before heading out. Needless to say our whole day began behind because I did not realize the office didn't open until 8:00 a.m. RIDICULOUS! Others were waiting at the door for breakfast items and were very upset. Ohhh also the bath house and laundry rooms were EXTREMELY HOT!!! They used to be a/c but they did not have them on and NO FANS! If you showered or washed clothes after 8:00 a.m. you did so in sweat! The cleaning crew came each morning at 9:00 - 9:30 to clean the bath house which was very annoying ( DUHHH - THATS THE TIME EVERYONE IS TRYING TO USE THE FACILITIES!) If they waited any later in the day, I'm sure it was too hot to work. I don't mind paying $50 a night somewhere like Disneyword where you get what you pay for and service is the best. If these people are going to charge that kind of rate they need to provide the service and PUT CAMPERS FIRST!!! That slogan is the biggest joke in Missouri ... we laughed everytime we passed the sign on the building... Wake up people, you are losing business EVERYDAY!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — employees
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Compton Ridge Campground and Lodge? Share your experiences!