“Laughed until our sides hurt!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Smoke on the Mountain

Smoke on the Mountain
3562 Shepherd of the Hills Expwy, Imax Complex Little Opry Theatre, Branson, MO 65616
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 150 Theater & Concerts in Branson
Houston, Texas
23 attraction reviews
“Laughed until our sides hurt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Not knowing a lot about the show, I was ambivalent about going. I'm glad I was convinced. This is the story of the Sanders Family Gospel Singers in a Baptist Church in Arkansas in 1938. The theater is small, and you become the congregation for 2 hours. Some old gospel music and some great hymns, but the comedy is the real winner here. I think this is the hardest I have laughed, and seems to have been that way for the other 3 of us, in my life! It's at the IMAX complex in the Little Opry theater and the venue is perfect. It will be on my must see list every time we go back! I wish I could give it 6 stars! You cannot go wrong here.

Visited July 2013

Herndon, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
“Laughed 'til we cried!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went to see this show on the recommendation of an older lady in my church. I was really just going to let my mom enjoy some old gospel tunes; I had no idea I would enjoy this show so much. It was in a smaller theater at the IMAX complex, and that was perfect. There are only about 7 people in the show, but they are so very delightful and so perfect in their parts! The story is set in a church in North Carolina in the 30's, I believe, and throughout this hilarious performance, they sprinkle old hymns that everyone enjoys (even if you grew up not liking them so much like I did). My 72-year old mother and I absolutely laughed until we cried during this show- the whole theater seemed to feel the same way too; everyone was in stitches. It's a "Must See" whenever we go back to Branson.

Denham Springs, Louisiana
4 attraction reviews
“I laughed from beginning to end.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Smoke on the Mountain was great. A small intimate setting at the Imax theater gets you into the story line as the audience becomes the congregation at the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church. The actors portray the pastor of the church and a traveling singing group coming to sing for Sunday service. The play begins with the singing group late for church and the pastor stalling and waiting for them to arrive. Great acting, very good singing, and family oriented comedy that keeps you laughing through out the show. We loved it.

Perkinston, MS
45 attraction reviews
“Hilarious Gospel Musical Comedy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed this song and laughter filled entertainment. The talented and quirky Sander Family Singers perform at Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in North Carolina in 1938. As part of the "church congregation", you'll laugh at their antics, sing along to the great gospel songs, and be touched by their witness for the Lord. As a Christian, I enjoyed this funny reminder that we're sinners saved by God's grace through Jesus Christ.

missouri
21 attraction reviews
“Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We've seen this play several times and the Branson version is one of the best! Theatre is very small so the audience becomes the congregation. More advertising is needed so that more people see this. Tickets are available at the 2for1 tickets store in the purple bldg. no Branson timeshare to deal with there!

Visited May 2013