“Mediocre to good” 3 of 5 stars

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
“Mediocre to good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Crowne Resort (Surrey group)– Branson, MO

We stayed here through an II timeshare exchange. We own an efficiency in Cabo San Lucas and were able to exchange for a 3 b/r unit. I think this was off-season, as we heard several schools were starting this week. One piece of advice unrelated to the resort – stay off of the main street, route 76, as much as possible. It becomes almost gridlocked at times. If you’ve ever been to Las Vegas, it’s worse than trying to drive on the strip at night. Also like Vegas, use alternate routes to get around as much as possible (yellow, blue, red). There are no local maps drawn to scale.

I was skeptical of the resort based on other reviews. Of the three Surrey resorts, this one had the best ratio of good/bad reviews, so I exchanged for the Crowne for a mini family reunion. The units were very spacious. They are shown as sleeping 12 privately by II. Six in the 3 b/rs; another six on pull-out sofas. They were well equipped with full kitchens in each and washer/dryers in each, including paper towels and detergents. The condition of the units let something to be desired, but they were acceptable by my standards. If you expect a luxury, top-of-the-line resort, look elsewhere. These are due for a face-lift, but ours was acceptably clean. They offer “hotel” services, such as frequent linens and cleaning at additional cost.

Everything in the rooms worked except one of the stoves (since we had 3, we didn’t really care). We noted a poor showerhead in our bath, but one of the others had a great showerhead. Most of the furniture was toward the low end of quality. Our decks had cheap plastic furniture. Furniture at the indoor pool was worn, but not defective. The pool and hot tub appeared a bit cloudy – I believe they could do a better job with filters/chemicals, but you could tell they used chemicals by the burning sensation of our eyes. Outdoor gas grills did not work, but they repaired them promptly when I contacted maintenance. The grills have seen better days, too.

There is one check-in location for all 3 resorts. There is one timeshare presentation location for all three resorts. The employees were polite and helpful. We were told we could use the outdoor pool at one of the sister resorts. I don’t know if that applies to all facilities at the sister resorts.

As for the timeshare "hook", we were told we could get out in under 90 minutes when we signed up for it. We only agreed to this for the incentives. When we showed up, we were challenged about the time limit. Upon being firm and filling out a complaint form and talking to a manager, we were permitted to leave without having to attend the presentation or any consequences. The agent was firm initially and gave us the "taking food from her family" line, but they were not rude.

All-in-all, this is a mediocre resort. I don’t mean to scare anyone away. I point out shortcomings as I saw them, but I don’t consider any of them overwhelming. We were here to be with family, so the fine details didn’t really bother us. We made a lot of our own meals and spent a lot of time talking with each other. There are plenty of restaurants and shows in the area for those who desire to be on the go. Individually, the show costs aren’t bad, but they add up over a week. I’m not sure there are too many “fine” dining establishments.

My highlight was going on a new zip line - it opened in June. www.goziplineusa.com. It is operated by the family that designed and built it. They design and build them worldwide for others, too. We had a great time. Over 4 miles of lines! And the ride to/from the zip line is even more exciting than the zip line in my opinion!!!

Keep in mind Branson has a down-home, family-friendly, hillbilly type of theme for the most part, which I enjoyed. It's not a sophisticated, high-brow, rowdy type of town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Amy H, Manager at Grand Crowne Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to review our resort, as this was a couple years ago, any issues have been addressed. We refurbish units on a schedule to keep them fresh and comfortable for our owners and guests. Best of luck in your future travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I chose to stay at this location (the Grand Crowne Resort-but the front desk assists ALL of the Surrey/Grand Crowne resorts in this area so you'll receive the same service no matter where you stay) as a part of Interval International exchange. Less than a week before arrival I called Grand Crown Resorts to secure a crib and high chair for my 14-month old. I did NOT call Interval. Check-in was at 4. After driving 21 hours over 3 days (I live in South Florida) my sister, 4-year old niece, 14-month old daughter and I arrived at 7 PM. I saw on the folder they had the word 'crib.' I mentioned to the person checking me in that I also needed a high chair. He said they may not have EITHER available as they are first-come, first-serve. (As I found out later he didn’t even know they don’t have high chairs.) I asked what constitutes ‘first-come, first-serve’-phone or check-in? He replied check in. I said I requested them over the phone and nobody told me that and that I wanted to speak to someone in charge.

Basically, their manager-on-duty, a blonde named Christine L. said they don’t even have high chairs and the cribs are first-come, first-serve and that this is a common issue there. She also picked up a brochure and said I could rent a crib for only ten dollars a night. She tried to blame Interval until I repeated that I called Grand Crowne’s phone number. She then said, “Over 500 people answer that number.” I said, “Well, they should ALL be trained to say cribs can’t be guaranteed and they don’t even have high chairs.” I suggested upgrading to a 2-bedroom. Yes, she said. At my cost. I suggested calling Interval since I booked through them. Of course they were closed since it was a Sunday night at 7 PM. (I’m sure she already knew that.) I gave her the folder and said I would be back. I tried calling where I already own to see if by some chance the Interval representative would be there. The office was closed. I chose to go back in because my hands were tied. I went back inside and said I would contact her company’s headquarters, Interval International and the Better Business Bureau. She said, with her ongoing smile, to do what I needed to do. I said her only suggestions were to spend more money, something I couldn’t do. She denied that and said she had only been civil. I said I didn’t deny that but that also wasn’t what I stated.

My family and I get to my room and lo and behold what is in it? A pack-and-play! I’m not sure if this is their version of a crib but if it is this just goes to show how idiotic management is at this place! There was one present the whole time! (BTW the next day concierge called and even confirmed that I had requested a crib and high chair. This just confirms that nobody told me high chairs weren’t available.)

As far as cleanliness is concerned judge for yourself: my daughter is a knee-walker. That means she walks on her knees. If a floor is dirty her knees and the tops of her feet will get dirty. Within 15 minutes of being in our room in a BRAND NEW BUILDING the tops of her feet were BLACK! She is normally pale as a ghost. A few other gripes: the dish detergent never created suds, we had to readjust the TV stand in the main room so the door wouldn’t keep closing, they only left one spare roll of toilet paper for two toilets, getting online was challenging (if you aren’t tech-savvy, forget it), amenities are minimum.

Maybe I’m spoiled because I own at Sheraton-Vistana. Yes, I’ve had my gripes with them over the last 11 years but customer service was never this horrible. If I needed a crib with them, I got it. If they couldn’t promise something, I was told that. Maybe I was treated this way at Grand Crowne because I wasn’t an owner, potential owner, but just an exchanger. I don’t know. But I feel like my $149 exchange fee was wasted on this place. Ironically they have a Bible opened up to Proverbs in the bedroom and a card with a prayer placed in the kitchen. I don’t know if this is a faith-based company but if it is they need to re-evaluate some of the behaviors of their employees.

BTW...there is a Wal-Mart within reach if you have to buy things they don't provide. That's where I had to buy my 2nd travel high chair. I already have one at home. I left it there because I was told I'd have one at the resort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Kansas City MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

We stayed here for a family reunion. One family in our group had a timeshare and this was one of their options. Our family plus 3 other families booked here as well. The units consist of 3 seperate one bedroom condos that connect together. Each unit's couch folds out into a double bed. We reserved a 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom. The staff were extremely helpful and put us all next to each other.

All plates, sliverware and glasses are provided and the two larger of the condo's have decks and hot tubs in the rooms.

To the naked eye, everything was clean. Beds were clean, showers, tubs, and refrigerators were clean. The only complaint I have is the floors must have been filthy as our childrens feet (and mine too) literally turned black after a few minutes of running around. Keep your socks or shoes on.

Swimming pool is indoors - which was nice because it was hot, hot, hot! Tennis courts are on top of the pool. You can use other resorts ammenities that are in their system.

There is a Walmart and Grocery store within a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Use the yellow route to avoid 76 Hwy.

We did take a side trip about 40 minutes away to the James River and did a float. Very enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Grand Crowne Resort? Share your experiences!