“Local little gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Markethill
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Old Barn Steakhouse is located in the village of Markethill, County Armagh. Proprieter James Richardson, is a multi-awarding winning Chef, including Ulster Tatler Chef of the Year 2012, and Janus Chef of the Year 2012. The restaurant specialises in top quality steaks, but offers a wide variety of menu choices to it's patrons, including an extremely popular lunch-time carvery, Tuesday - Sunday.
Portadown, United Kingdom
“Local little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband, daughter & myself decided to try this restaurant today (Sunday 13 January), as I'd heard so many good reports - we were not disappointed! Phoned about 11am to make a reservation for 1.30pm & was glad that I did as the restaurant was packed, which is always a good sign. I loved the whole experience, the interior is superb & the atmosphere was friendly, warm & inviting. We all decided to have the three course carvery & we enjoyed every mouthful. We had different combinations of meats, each cut of meat was cooked perfectly & the vegetables were wonderful. All the staff were so friendly & polite, especially the guy cutting the roasted joints & the woman I paid the bill to. I loved that you could help yourself to veg & it was no trouble when I asked for more gravy, the member of staff brought two gravy boats to our table. All our starters were wonderful, I'd prawn cocktail & my hubby had chicken salad, both were beautifully presented. My daughter had veg soup which she loved - really wholesome & creamy. The variety of desserts was brilliant & the staff member on duty was so helpful & patient with every one, explaining what each dish was over & over again with such excellent manners. We all had a wonderful experience. We only live a few miles down the road & will be returning. It's now our new favourite eatery! I'm looking forward to trying all sorts of delights on the evening menu with friends & family on a regular basis & have no trouble highly recommending this local little gem. Also they are registered with NIPSA membership plus, giving cardholders 15% off total food bill - Bonus!! Thank you for a gorgeous three course Sunday Carvery.

• Visited January 2013

Armagh, United Kingdom
“very enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were at a wedding reception at the Old Barn recently, and we had the best time. The food served for the wedding meal was first class, not the typical flavourless dishes served at most receptions. Service was warm, friendly, and very efficient, with nothing being too much trouble for the servers. This was our first time at the restaurant, and we plan to return in the next couple of weeks for dinner with a few friends. I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Visited November 2012
Craigavon
“Lovely evening with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Spent an evening at the old barn with some friends! Atmosphere was lovely and relaxed despite how busy they were! The waitresses were lovely and always available to get us more drinks! Our table was checked on numerous times which I liked so even if there had been a problem I had plenty of opportunity to let them know! Food was well presented and delicious! Steaks cooked to perfection and a wide range of desserts! We just had to indulge! An overall great visit and I will definitely be returning regularly! It's rare you get great service and great food hand in hand!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Pity the attitude wasn't as good as the food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Having got pizzas delivered several times from the cafe part of the old Barn I decided to take my wife and kids to the Old Barn on Tuesday 27th November for lunch. Everything looked good and was pleased at how much better the place looked compared to previous old Barn. Ordered a 12oz Rump steak from the menu and the waitress said sorry we have ran out of rump steak it will be a sirloin steak, would that be ok, to which I replied yes that's fine, thank you.

2 minutes later the waitress reappeared at our table saying, sorry we have no rump steak, I replied yes I know you said it was sirloin instead, to which she responded yes but it's off the evening menu and you'll have to pay extra, I responded and said that you told me only a few minutes ago sirloin would be in place of the rump as you had ran out, she replied no its extra, you'll have to pay for it off the evening menu. I ended up ordering a steak sandwich.

This was very disappointing and in my opinion a poor way to treat a customer, firstly, it wasn't my fault they run out of rump steak, secondly it was the waitress who said the sirloin would be in place of the rump in the first place.

Very disappointing, won't be back through the door nor will I order pizza ever again.

Management being short sighted with their reputation has cost you a lot more than a few quid for a sirloin compared to a rump.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Craigavon, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, excellent service, a brilliant dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I brought a friend to the restaurant last Saturday night. I have been many times before and am a big fan of the Old Barn. This was the first time I had been eating in the restaurant since it's recent refurbishment. The restaurant has been completely transformed. The atmosphere was great and I did not feel rushed off my table even though I could see how busy the restaurant was. There was not a free table in the place. The food was great. Compliments as ever to all the staff who made our night a great one!

• Visited October 2012