“Good food at a reasonable price for the area” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
darlington
“Good food at a reasonable price for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We visited here initially for a drink during the day and sat outside overlooking the hills which was lovely. The barman who was the owners brother was very friendly and helpful and booked us in the restaurant for later that night. Restaurant was nice and food was good however my husband had quite a lot of bones in the seabass. 2 starters 2 mains and 3 drinks came to 42quid which was decent value and certainly a lot cheaper than Slaley Hall where we stayed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

East Anglia
“3-words. Friendly, delicious and comfy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked this at the last minute and then, on the day we were due to arrive, changed our booking to include our daughter. Nothing was too much for Chris, Jenny and Rachael. Chris's Mum is also a gem ..... they are all so laid back and friendly - we changed our table booking by an hour due to the Bank Holiday traffic delaying us - they could not have been more relaxed about it, despite being busy in the restaurant. But let me tell you about the place ....

The views are spectacular - you completely forget when you are in the place that this is right on the main road from England to Scotland. We arrived on a Bank Holiday Friday and did not hear or see the traffic. Once you arrive, it is a really enveloping atmosphere.

The food is absolutely delicious, thoughtfully cooked and beautifully presented. Chris is well versed in his cellar and knows what grape will go with which dish. Rachael, who was looking after the dining room was an absolutely wonderful waitress. She was attentive, without being intrusive and has a wicked sense of humor.

The rooms are all named after game. We stayed in Pheasant and our daughter in Grouse. The rooms are so, so comfy and all the family slept like logs .... which is rare as I never sleep well in strange beds. The views from the windows are breathtaking.

And then there is Chris's Mum ...... what an amazing lady! Her scones are delicious, too!!

All in all .... would I go back there DEFINITELY. The prices are well thought through and the welcome is warm. Oh, and it wouldn't be a review from me if I didn't mention the dogs .... they do not mind the dogs in the Bar. They positively encouraged ours ..... I have no idea about the rooms as ours always sleep in the car.

The three words in the title sum up the atmosphere, food and surroundings. Well worth a visit.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Guisborough, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our 2nd visit.

Stopped off on the way home from Scotland, having visited last year.

On both occasions we were made very welcome.

All 3 courses were excellent as was the service.

Not your usual Bar Food, well presented and freshly cooked.

Try it !

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“my birthday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My partner asked where I'd like to go for my birthday, because the last time I was at the manor house not long ago I decided to go back.we called to book a table in the restaurant but were told the restaurant was closed so we said we would eat in the lounge.we arrived at 7.30pm, there was a table of four eating in the lounge.we ordered drinks at the bar and had a look at the menu.the bar person (Martin) informed us there was no gravadlax (there wasn't any on our last visit).I asked if it was possible to have the tempura prawns without the batter which Martin said was no problem at all.my partner decided he would have the same.I ordered trio breast of partridge and my partner ordered a sirloin.the food came and I can't knock it.it was hot, tasty and my partners steak was cooked to perfection.I chose an icecream which was simple but delicious.my partner had a coffee.as it was my birthday we have started a little tradition of enjoying a talisker afterwards (my favourite whiskey from Skye) only to be told they didn't have it but they were in the process of reviewing the whiskey selection.the bar person (Martin) was very professional and a pleasure to talk to.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Long wait for food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We were looking for a restaurant nearby to go with some relatives and as there seemed to be a mixed review for this pub we thought we would give it a try. When we arrived most of the tables in the lounge were occupied so we went into the bar. We ordered our drinks and got the menu's then moved to a table which had been vacated in the lounge. The restaurant part was not open, maybe because it was a week day lunch time.

There was a notice on the bar stating there were no fish and chips and the fryer needed to be repaired.The man at the bar was helpful and took cleared the table and we went to the bar and placed our order. I ordered one of the specials; venison burger and my partner ordered the game pie. We waited 50 minutes before the food came, although by this time there was only two other couples in the lounge area and the bar still seemed quiet. The burger was served on focaccia with french fries and onion rings and was warm not hot. The onion rings were very greasy and left grease on the plate. My partners pie had shortcrust pastry and was hot, but it had mostly rabbit in it. There was a good assortment of vegetables on the side dish but only two boiled potatoes.

We waited 50 minutes for an okay meal which are not very big. My partner did mention to the bar man that he thought that having only two potatoes was a bit mean. We will not be going back to this pub to eat again, which is a shame as there are nice views.

• Visited March 2012