“disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton St. Louis Airport

You added Hilton St. Louis Airport to your Saves list
Hilton St. Louis Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10330 Natural Bridge Road, Berkeley, Saint Louis, MO 63134   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Airport Parking Deal
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kansas City Missouri
“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

We spent only one night here because we had to catch a very early flight. We were disappointed to discover that the hotel was being renovated, so the pool and hot tub weren't available. Hallways, rooms, bathrooms etc. were all in different stages of disrepair. We checked the website before we left, and there was no mention of the renovations or limited amenities. We didn't have a working clock in our room, and we did NOT receive our wake-up call! Positive things were that we had great service and a good meal in the restaurant for dinner, and received complimentary parking after we told the front desk about the problems before checking out. We won't stay here again.

• Liked — service in the restaurant
  • Disliked — pool/hot tub not available, no wake up call, no working clock in room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

I stayed at the St. Louis Airport Hilton for one night this past weekend after checking out of another hotel in a small town an hour and a half from St. Louis, so that I could return my rental car, and get some much needed rest before what was going to be a long travel day home. I booked through Hilton's 800 number the same day that I was going to arrive and was quoted a rate of $169. (for a Sunday night), which is much more than what I paid at the same property last spring. My stay there last spring was fine, the room was comfortable enough, but basically we were just there to get much needed rest before an early flight out (had two rooms)

THIS STAY: I chose this hotel because I wasn't feeling well and, as mentioned above, needed rest before my flight. Upon arrival things went smoothly, I had bell service stow my bags while I returned my rental car and the hotel sent a shuttle to pick me up at the rental car agency - same thing as the last stay there - the type of service one expects from Hilton.

The carpets in the halls were in terrible condition - dirty, in desperate need of stretching, and in some places there were big torn spots! They were like this last spring - I was surprised they weren't replaced yet.

My room was ok. The furnishings were decent, as were the bed linens, pretty good pillows and comforter. The mattress comfort was ok - better than the dump in the small town I'd come from - but not terrific. The binding on the mattress (or was it box spring?) was torn and hanging down - looked tacky and very un-Hilton.

The bathroom had that same outdated wallpaper shown in some of the photos other people have posted - but I got one better - due to the constuction going on at the property, the perimeter of the walls looked like it was in the middle of being repaired - baseboards were missing -the whole bottom of the bathroom walls were torn up and looked disgusting! But I was dead tired and ignored it.

I had planned to rest in my room until noon checkout, but was awakened by hammering. They gave me a room directly over a room going through construction! A little after 9:00am I ordered breakfast (decent) when it was delivered I asked the young man who brought my food to please ask the front desk to have the construction noise toned down for a bit (maybe work in another room), nothing changed and I continued listening to loud hammering and power tools.

At a little after 10:30 turned on the water in the tub for a shower and plumbers putty came out of the faucet! I called the front dest and they said they would switch me to another room. I packed my things, preparing to be moved. About 15 minutes later the engineer showed up and explained there were some problems with all the showers due to plumbers putty - I guess most were fixed except mine? BTW - he, like room service, also heard the construction noise in my room.

After my initial contact with the front dest ( and having to keep calling them to find out when I was going to be moved) I was finally given a new room around 11:30 - one with the old plumbing. The shower grout looked dirty and discolored. The lighting in the bathroom was horribly dim. The bottom of the bathroom walls were torn up like in my other room. The veneer on the bathroom door was peeling in big pieces (it looked BAD). The walls in the room looked dirty.

Upon leaving the property I complained to the manager on duty - her response - we have construction going on, I seriously doubt she could have cared less. Including taxes, I paid almost $200. to have one of the worst mornings I have had in a long time. I paid to stay in a room until noon - and I chose the Hilton expecting comfort and peace until checkout, not to listen to noise all morning and wait, packed, for 45 minutes just so I could take a shower.

I stayed at the Venetian in Las Vegas during construction - yes there is a certain amount of inconvenience on the property, but they price the rooms accordingly, and they certainly didn't place us in a room right next to the construction. Nor did any part of the room they gave us look like it was in the middle of construction.

We were planning on booking three rooms at this Hilton for several days in the spring, needless to say, that will not be happening. The only reason I am giving this hotel two stars instead of one, is because of the good service I received upon check in.

I have placed a complaint with Hilton regarding this issue.

• Liked — check in, location
  • Disliked — AM front desk, management, inconvenience, noise
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alajuela, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

I was concerned after I got this hotel on Priceline (for a great rate) and then read the TripAdvisor reviews. I was even more concerned when I called the hotel directly to confirm the reservation. When I requested a room with two beds, I was told I would get what they wanted to give me because I booked on Priceline.

However, my concerns were for naught - the hotel is fine. We had a room in Tower 2, partially remodeled and with two beds. The staff at the front desk, as well as every other staff member I met were very friendly and helpful (unlike whoever was manning the phone the day I called). The room and bathroom were spotless, the beds were comfy (love those pillows), the amenities were good and my only possible complaint is I wish they had free wireless in the rooms. However, they do have it in the lobby, so that is a minor complaint at best. My early morning airport shuttle was quick and the driver was friendly and helpful as well.

Overall it was exactly what I needed and I would happily stay here again next time I have an early flight out of STL.

• Liked — Hilton amenities, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Southington, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

My biggest issue with this hotel was with the food. Because I was there for a weekend conference, all of us were stuck eating their food. There are no other restaurants within walking distance. If you don't have a car, you are isolated there. Plus, with conference scheduling, there's no time to take the shuttle anywhere else for a meal. I will say that the banquet they held was tasty. But otherwise the food left a lot to be desired. Even my room service order was messed up (got the wrong thing entirely) but I didn't have time to re-order and, even though I complained and was told the breakfast would be comped, it was not.

• Liked — I got HHonors points, price, conference hotel
  • Disliked — The restaurant and room service -- quality and service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on Sept 10-11th, 2007 - I was a bit worried given some of the reviews people have written - but after staying here for two days I can simply say.....it's ok. I've stayed at better hotels and I've stayed at worse.

On the plus side, the bathroom was clean, the best was clean, the staff was friendly and many said hello as you passed them in the hall, the hot water in the shower was quick and the water pressure good.

On the not so good side, the air conditioner unit in the room needed some repair as it made numerous rumbles, creaks and squeaks every time it kicked on - in the middle of hte night I had to get up and just turn it off entirely as every time it kicked-on it woke me up. The hall closet has a metal track on the floor that it was connected to - however all the screws holding this track to the carpet were missing on the one side - so the closet door didn't open smoothly. The elevator I got into to ride to the 7th floor smelled terrible - like a gerbil cage or something - this should have been fixed right away - throw some air freshner in there or something - it was kinda gross. The hallways also were in need of a good clean - lots of marks and scuffs on the walls and doors as I walked down the hallway. This hotel also had very long hallways - I was in room 750 and I thought hte hallway would never end in this winding, twisted path to my room.

The rooms were ok - the wallpaper in the bathroom was hideous and the tv in the room was just your average set - nothing special - the desk work space was acceptable and there was a very large floor to ceiling window which offered alot of light even though it only overlooked the back parking lot.

The business center was acceptable - several computers and a highspeed color printer for use.

Overall I probably not want to stay here again if I had a choice - but it was for work - so not many options. In general it just seemed that the common areas of the hotel needed to be cleaned and a good updating in the look wouldn't be bad either.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty common areas
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Southern IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

The facility itself was nice, but the room was average, to our disappointment. We paid $52 per night + taxes/fees to total $65 per night through Hotwire . I was so excited to get that deal, but now I'm glad we didn't pay more. The room was small, and the "king" size bed was actually a queen. The service was fine, but we had to pay an additional $6 per day to park. The water pressure in the shower was good, and the bed was comfortable. A nice, little touch was a basket with fresh fruit at the front desk everyday.

• Liked — The location was less than 10 minutes to St. Louis Mills mall and Harrah's casino
  • Disliked — The room and bed were smaler than we were expecting.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mishawaka, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

Okay...so I am originally from St. Louis and was traveling back for a family reunion and chose to stay at this hotel. Upon arrival, I went into the lobby to ask where should I park since the parking lot sign stated full...and I was instructed to "drive around until I saw an open spot." So much for customer service. So we eventually drove around the hotel twice looking for somewhere to park at 11 pm, and ended up parking in the way back where the employees parked., Luckily someone who had a key was walking in with us or else we would not have gotten in and would've had to walk all the way around to the front with luggage.

When we got to the room, it was late and dark so we didn't really see what the room looked like. But all night the toilet would run very loudly every 5 mins for like a min at a time, so imagine the interuption of sleep. The sink faucet would make loud noises whenever we would need to turn on hot water and wouldn't stop unles the hot water was off. That morning I took a shower and the water was SCORCHING hot and would not cool down. The only way to bear it was to take a very lukewarm (damn near cold) shower that trickled out since it was barely in the on position. Very unacceptable. I was going to go to the manager about this, but I had somewhere to be and did not have the time to deal with it.

When I got back to the room, the toilet was stopped up. When I went to go and flush it water overflowed EVERYWHERE for about 3 mins...so imagine how much water spilled on the floors of the bathroom and into the room. I called room service immediately and was told the engineer would be sent up. He came up about an hour later and just used the plunger and was about to leave. I asked him to fix the hot water and the noises mentioned before and he told me that since it is an older hotel, I would have to bear with it and just be sensitive to my surroundings and the dials. What the heck? I also asked him who would be cleaning up all the towels, water, and other crud from the toilet that had leaked onto the floor...he said that he had been here for 14 hours and that it wasn't his job (???) and he would send housekeeping up. An hour went by, and no house keeping. I called down to the front desk again, and they said they are really busy but someone would be up soon. I told them if they are not up there by midnight, I will be physically coming down to the front desk. By this time I have to use the bathroom but am scared to use it and am grossed out by all the nastiness on the floor so I try and hold it. Meanwhile, I mentioned to the front desk that I wanted to talk to the Manager about switching rooms or being compensated, and was told that he would contact me shortly and I continued to delay my sleep waiting on his call (a call that never was made.)

Shortly after 2nd hour went by, the "Floor Technician" came up with a plunger and towels. I explained to him, thank you for the towels but the plunger was no longer needed...we just need someone to clean up the mess...I was told that wasn't his job. So I was fed up and at 5 mins til 12 am I went to the lobby. I tracked down the front desk personell whom I was communicating with, told her what all happened and demanded that someone do something. Since she was on her way off of her shift, she very angrily said that she would go and clean it. (I didn't care who cleaned it, as long as it got done.) While I was down there I ran into the night manager and asked him why hadn't he returned my call and also explained to him the situations. He said he was busy...I politely asked him to follow me to my room so that I could show him all the inconvieniences that I have had to deal with during my stay here. He came to the room and physically (in a suit and tie) cleaned the bathroom floors and demonstrated the hot water in the shower and the sink. I also told him how there were full cookies in the chairs and ants had started to form...he cleaned that up as well. I also mentioned that housekeeping hadn't been to the room since I gotten there (and it was the second, going on third, day) I told him this was the worse hotel ever, and to be named Hilton...is a disgrace on to their name.

He instructed me that in the morning we could relocate us to a full size suite (if available) and tried to offer me a free breakfast, which was not appealing to me considering we already had coupons from a previous occurrence from the day before with my mother. He told me that since my mother paid for the room through hotwire.com that he would contact hotwire to get us a refund for the portion that the hotel received through hotwire, but not a full refund since hotwire works off of commission.

The next morning we moved into a lovely suite that I wonder why other rooms don't have the same quality as this one. Granted I know it is a suite, but the decor, amenities, sinks, faucets, carpet, everything was renovated and totally different from the dump we had previously stayed in and besides the quality shouldn't be compremised just because it's not a suite.

Thanks Tom (the night manager) for accomodating us...even though that is what is expected.

I recommend no one pay for a night in this place, unless you are staying in a suite...and even then I wouldn't pay more than $75 dollars for a suite.

This is coming from someone who has traveled many times and stayed in many hotels.

• Liked — The suite was decent. The computers with internet access were in the lobby and was not overly crowded.
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton St. Louis Airport? Share your experiences!