“Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Airport

You added Clarion Hotel Airport to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9600 Natural Bridge Road, Berkeley, Saint Louis, MO 63134 (Formerly Comfort Inn Airport & Conference Center St Louis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Convenient Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Spacious rooms,clean, comfortable bed. The furniture and the room require refurbishment. The room has all the usual amenities. Very convenient location near the airport with a shuttle service.
Very friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Olathe, KS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel is the dirtiest I have ever had the misfortune to see! The lobby is nice but that is where it ends. The elevator was dirty it looked like something was spilled all over the buttons. The room was filthy, the carpet had stains all over it, the lamp was broken the furniture was falling apart the list goes on and on! The worst was the white stain on the red bedspread! We checked in at 1am and had a 6am flight so we suffered through it just to get 3 hours of sleep any other time I would have gotten my money back! They wanted to charge for a nasty breakfaat but I couldn't do it I'm sure the kitchen is just as clean as the rooms! I will never again stay in any Clarion Hotel just because of this one!!

• Stayed February 2014
McKinleyville, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

This place, now called Clarion Hotel, is under new and execrable management. Upon arrival one is greeted with a sign stating they are reneging on the free breakfast, but that you are welcome to pay for one. This policy was enacted three days before my arrival but weeks after I paid for the room WITH breakfast. They have further economized by closing the indoor pool indefinitely. My initial room had a nonfunctional TV and when I called the desk they made me come back down for a new key so I could move myself (already unpacked) down the hall at 11:00PM. My new room has television and stains on the wall.
The desk person advised me to avoid the hotel's restaurant. When I asked them to reimbursed the Steak & Shake breakfast (pretty good) I had to cross a busy street in the cold for, the management made excuses, refused, and told me to call Expedia and take it up with them.
They can keep the $8.15. I will enjoy knowing that they will be losing lots more due to the reviews they have inspired me to leave.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Out of all the hotels in the area this was the cheapest Choice hotel, I was nervous at first, having worked at a Clarion before, but I thought I'd give it a try. I was staying with my fiance and her sister, who had her service dog who detects if she has seizures. I saw they were not pet friendly so I called ahead and got a girl who didn't even bother to give her name and simply answered, "Clarion hotel." I told her, "I know you're not pet friendly but we have a service dog and we forgot our papers at home, would it be okay to have it?" and she replied yes, it's fine. So, I went ahead and booked the room.
We stayed the night and had no problems with the room other than the heater switching between hot and cold air all night. We went to bed quietly and were good guests because I know what it's like to have noisy guests. I get a knock on the door early the next morning from the highly rude maintenance man who simply tells us we can't have pets and tells us to get out. I told him it was a service dog and his front desk agent okay-ed it and he said he didn't care and we had thirty minutes. After getting dressed I walked to the front desk to speak to the manager who didn't even bother to introduce himself as such and explained the situation and he only replied with, "I'll call the police and ask them and call you in your room." He asked to see papers or proof of it being a service animal, which is illegal, and continued to refuse to listen and kept repeating he would call the police and told us to go to the room until he called. So, I complied and returned to my room and waited until close to check-out time and he said they told him we needed a tag on a harness. . .which is what some service animals have and it is only when their owners choose to have on them. So I returned to speak to him again after gathering my things and asked for a refund for the terrible service to which he refused to even hear me out on.
Never have I seen such terrible service, rude staff who even insulted my fiance saying she was "acting a fool" when she was upset. All I have to say is if you wish to be treated as an equal human being, go elsewhere. This place did something highly illegal by kicking us out for having a service animal.
See here for the laws on the matter, http://disability.mo.gov//ServiceAnimalsAllowed.pdf it clearly states that paperwork and tags are not needed and you can NOT be refused service or access to any public place for it. Everything they did was wrong and illegal and not the way to act in customer service.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the back parking lot unless you want to witness drug deals in broad sunlight...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Yamaguchi, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

As an international traveller, I visit St. Louis once a year recently. And almost everytime I visited this city, I have stayed at this hotel. The reason? Its location and the price. This hotel is one of the closest to the airport. It is close to the offices of all major rental car companies, too. Some evaluators complain about the slowness of its shuttle. However, at least in my case, they send a shuttle fairly quickly once I call the hotel using a phone placed at the hotel infomation board right next to the baggage claim area. So, the access to the hotel is good enough even for us international people. And, the shuttle sends you directly to your rental car office next morning when you reserve for it. (This does not seem to be so common here. When I stayed at the Holiday Inn St. Louis Airport, they turned down my request to take me to a rental car office. They said the hotel shuttle is available only as a shuttle connecting the hotel and the airport.)

And it is needless to say you can stay at this hotel at a very reasonable price.

A bartender at the hotel bar is usually a good guy if you want me to add another positive element of this hotel.

Sadly, however, there are as many bad elements at this hotel as the good ones. First, as a lot of evaluators point out, the hotel is getting old. Probably a little too old, actually. You can see the evidence of it everywhere in this hotel. I stayed at this hotel for four days this October, and my card key didn't work several times. Everytime this happened, I rushed back to the front desk, and a front worker swiped the key to renew the information. Probably the locks of some rooms are so old that they malfunction often times.
Second, you cannot make a room to room call at this hotel now. Until last year, that had been possible. But this year it was taken away. A funny thing is, the direction for this function is still on your room phone, but it didn't work no matter how often I tried. So, I went to the front desk and asked why. There were three people at the desk. One young guy said to me they nullified that function because of some security reason. He added, if you want to make a room to room call, you should come to the front desk. Then your message will be passed by us to a person of your request. Do you believe it?
Third, the quality of some workers of this hotel seems to be getting worse. A few years ago, most workers of this hotel were just friendly, which was amazing when you think of the low price of this hotel. But this year, the attitude of some workers was below average.

So all in all, the evaluation of the current conditions of this hotel is very difficult to make. It still retains some positive elements that I had enjoyed until last year. But, new negative aspects are growing inside of this hotel, and it seems to be getting bigger and bigger. The management should realize and improve that as quickly as possible.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JAMoUSA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the night before an early morning flight. Here are the things that went wrong while we were there:
• Cockroach on the elevator
• Shuttle never came to pick us up from the airport had to pay a $20 taxi to come get us
• Staff was rude and unapologetic
• The parking lot is poorly lit and scary
• Rooms are dirty and need updated
• There were multiple hairs in our sheets

Some of you may be asking why didn't you go somewhere else. We arrived at the hotel when it was very late and I was just too tired. I ended sleeping on top of the bed with my own blanket with all my clothes on, because I was scared to sleep on the bed.

We paid extra for the park and stay, which ended up costing us more—we had to pay for a taxi to come pick us up, because we waited over an hour for the shuttle to pick us up. The hotel kept saying "They'll be there is just a few minutes." Unbelievable, never again!!!

Room Tip: Go to another location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This property is now a Clarion. I stayed there on the stay-park-fly program to get an 8:am flight, since I live 100 miles from the airport. I had to get the shuttle at 6:30 am, and they did not open the breakfast service until that time, so the best I could do was grab a cup of coffee. There was not a very good selection of items to eat, even if I had time to do so.

Although the facility was clean, it seems somewhat old, stuffy and worn out. The mattress was soft and lumpy and the room air conditioner banged and roared all night, with constant recycling about every 5 minutes.

The staff was very friendly and the shuttle service was prompt.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel Airport? Share your experiences!