“Roaches & Fleas” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econolodge

You added Econolodge to your Saves list
Econolodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4576 Woodson Rd., Berkeley, Saint Louis, MO 63134 (Formerly Motel 6 St Louis - Airport)   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Gilbert, Arizona
“Roaches & Fleas”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Sent us to first room, was not even made up. Relocated us to another room and it smelled like smoke. Hairs in the shower, couple of roaches crawling around the room and fleas jumping on me! Also looked between the mattress and box spring was a used condom box. I wasn't expecting the "Ritz", a little bit more cleanliness for being a large hotel chain.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed at this establishment as the price was very good for such a close proximity to the airport. Unfortunately, I must agree with past reviewers as the hotel leaves a bit to be desired. I say this because Motel 6 is a national chain and one should expect uniformity in service. Here, I found the hallway carpets had huge stains, the housekeeping staff were loud and practically yelling in the hallways, the blanket on the bed smelled "funky" and my non-smoking room smelled "dank" and moldy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Schweinfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

I checked the rates on this website before calling to make a reservation. It is stated on that the rates do NOT differ from the website and the hotel. However, even after receieving a confirmation # and the front desk person saying he would honor the website price, we were told the general manager said she would NOT honor the price. This was AFTER we drove nearly 3 hours to get there! After much discussion with the front desk person he gave us the senior rate. We were still unhappy but were tired and agreed. We had 2 rooms which were adjoining. The first room was filthy. The bathroom floor had not been cleaned, there were no towels and both beds had somebody elses hair on the sheets! One of the sheets had a blood stain on it!! We immediately asked to be moved and after some time we were. The 2nd set of rooms were no better. One of the rooms actually hold MOLD growing on the carpet under the window. Not a little bit but ALOT! The windows wouldn't lock either. We demanded a refund and ended up staying across the street at LaQuinta, which was nice. The manager never could be reached and she really should be fired. NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! It should be condemed and the manager and housekeepers fired!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

My family and I were ABSOLUTELY disgusted with the St. Louis Motel 6. Upon arrival, there appeared to be drug deals going on in the parking lot, women dressed for "work" nearby, and a less than happy employee behind the glass covered check-in area. When we entered the room, it was extremely dirty. The bathroom had feces in the corner behind the leaking toilet, toilet paper that had "mopped" to the wall, and to top it off, when we went to lay a towel on the nightstand so we could set our cell phones on it (since we didn't want our phones to touch the unclean table top), it had blood on it!!! As I stated, this was an absolutely HORRIBLE stay. Obviously there is no quality control being performed for this location. Thumbs down!!!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

This place was disgusting. Any other reviewer who says it's clean either works there or has lived in a homeless shelter somewhere. The sheets were STAINED and we actually found little flakes of skin stuck to the blankets, there was hair (a certain kind) stuck to the ONE towel that was provided. There was gum stuck to the wall, AND my non smoking room smelled like a smoke shop. Not to mention the hallways were noisy and water was dripping from the ceilings....The only reason we chose this place was because it was pet friendly... and we definitely would have been better off staying in our car for the night. I will never ever ever stay at another motel 6/red roof inn again in my life.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — DIRTY
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

I actually feared for my safety at this hotel. There were some dubious long term residents with life problems hanging around. We were there only one night, but we witnessed the police being called twice. A lot of shouting around the front desk. We were first given a room that was a mess. Then we were switched into another room. I guess the room was ok, I just wanted to get out of there. I was also worried about my car. We literally rushed in and out of our room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

...simply because the housekeeping and the checkout woman were so friendly. Motel 6 should up their salaries to $20/hour to keep the only good things they have going for them.

Positives first (besides those employees): the pool was actually pretty decent and clean, the rooms were bigger than usual at Motel 6,
and cleanliness was fairly decent with one exception. That's about it.

Negatives: grab a seat, this will be a second. I've been a regular in
St. Louis and am familiar with the city and its, uh, culture, but had
always thought the airport hotels to be fairly decent despite the overall surroundings of Natural Bridge. Motel 6 is basically a crack house, or something like that. We arrived to find MANY transients loitering in the parking lot, and lots of people obviously on methamphetamines loitering near the lobby (quite chummy with the check-in guy, to our dismay). The room was supposed to be prepaid but
the check-in guy was most unhelpful in processing this. I guess with customers like that I wouldn't accept a credit card without having it
in hand and 3 forms of ID either.

No elevators but it's a Motel 6, whatever. Got into the room and the toilet wasn't flushed, but again, whatever. The shattered glass near the door, obviously from someone trying to break in? A little less settling. The on-premises police substation? I GUESS that makes you feel a little safer. It did when I went to Algiers, but in St. Louis
... tells you something about the establishment. A couple of days prior to our stay, a young man murdered his two-year old child in a room there and the room was still cordoned off with police tape.

We left to have dinner with my family, who explained to us that the Motel 6 Airport is well-known and infamous to St. Louis locals. It seems to be featured more on the local news than the Travel Channel, if you catch my drift.

Around 1 am there was an impromptu hip-hop party in the parking lot featuring motel employees. It lasted until about 2:30 when the cops came to break it up.

The following morning, when my girlfriend was trying to get our bags out the door for a speedy departure, one of the hotel's esteemed guests appeared, shirtless, out of his door and began eyeing up her bag. In a somewhat comical series of events, every time she went back in the room, his head popped back out the door to check on the status of her bag. Not necessarily the hotel's fault, but it tells you who stays there.

The kicker was when we were loading up our car and in a real Brooklyn-style hustle, a gentleman we had seen in the lobby came up and tried to sell us obviously-stolen goods right by our vehicle.

I guess you can't complain too much--stay at the Motel 6 Airport, get a great deal on a Rolex!

• Liked — The "unique atmosphere"
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything when my sense of humor wasn't functioning
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econolodge? Share your experiences!