“Not a very helpful or friendly front desk staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winona
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Not a very helpful or friendly front desk staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I did not stay at this hotel but wanted to send a gift to a friend staying for work travel. I called the front desk and asked if they could recommend local florists or gifts shops and she responded with "FedEx and UPS". I asked the question again and she said she didn't know.
I did end up finding a local gift shop (City Trading Post, Winona and FANTASTIC customer service) and they said it would be delivered before 5:00pm with my friend's name and room number and request they deliver to the room.
I called the hotel around 5:30pm to ask if they has received the delivery and if they would deliver to the room. The man at the front desk put me on hold to check, I waiting a couple minutes and it started ringing again. He picked up again and I reminded him why I was on hold. He took down my phone number and said he would call me back to let me know what he finds out. It's been a couple hours and I have not heard anything yet.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Toni D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
I am sorry for the misunderstanding when you called the front desk. We at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites enjoy when our guest receive a special gift or delivery. Items maybe delivered or shipped to the hotel and we will gladly let the guest know. I am sorry for the delay in the front desk getting back with you and I will review the answers to your questions with them. I am so happy you found our great friends at City Trading Post and that they were able to assist you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ruston, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a suite. The hotel was clean and nice, but there was a musty, mildew odor in the hallway. We never smelled this in the room but in the hallway on both the second and third floor. The room was clean, but did remind me somewhat of a hospital room. The sofa was hard for my elderly parents to sit on and there was nowhere else to sit in the room except in a desk chair that flipped backwards very easily. The beds were hard and uncomfortable, not at all what I expected from a Holiday Inn. When we asked for an armchair one was delivered to us quickly. The pool was nice, but could have been cleaner. There was dirt in the bottom as well as quite a few large dead spiders. Breakfast was good for a continental breakfast. Overall, the hotel was ok, but it could have been better for the price. I have stayed in nicer hotels for much less per night. I do have to say that it was a very quiet place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Toni D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I want to say I am very sorry for any discomfort you had while at our hotel. We want to always make our guest as comfortable as possible. We did detect a odor in that hallway and did shampoo it. We are sorry we did not detect it prior to your arrival. Please give us another chance and we will do everything we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived Late; one room available, But hubby reserved the suite @ $129. One Big room w/ Two Queen Beds, couch w/one TV. Hotel is Very New. Close to highway; on frontage road- easier & faster hwy access than the next Holiday Inn Express in Granada, MS (a few miles north). Rooms are spacious with nice modern decor. Suites are next to elevator - easy access! Beds are comfortable w/nice bedding. The outdoor Pool looked soooo inviting at 6:30am; bright & blue!! Breakfast was the 'normal' H.I.Express: eggs, bacon, biscuits & gravy, bagels, cereal. I was suprised to see No Fruit! only 2 bananas on the bar. 'Jan' was very helpful & kind with a warm smile to help our early morning with kids.
Our only concern; bath water is brown... We called the front desk to see if it was rust in the pipes.... But they assured us it was iron and the city is working on it. They offered us bottled water. I am sure this is a temporary problem. We will stay here again when traveling back & forth!
(Another reason I love Trip Advisor-- I can remind myself that I will stay here again) ;)

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We do have a great location to get you back on the road rather traveling 55 or 82! Unfortunately, I have to say that is not completely true about the water. Its brownish color is a result of too much iron in the water and it is a city wide concern. although discolored, it is very safe (we do have a letter at the front desk from the City of Winona for your viewing). That said we always have bottled water at the front desk for any need. Please come back soon and have a wonderful breakfast with our Ms. Jan!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

traveling through on a motorcycle, we stayed here to avoid a storm. this was our 6th hotel in as many nights. it was by far the best one. the room was spacious, clean and quiet. the price was reasonable and the free beer and cupcake was a nice bonus. the staff was polite and do sweet. we highly recommend this place!

• Stayed July 2013
Toni D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm so glad we were able to shelter you from the storm!
Our focus in Winona is customer service and great quality. It always makes me happy when guest pick up on what we work so hard to deliver.
We do have the beer on draft Monday to Thursday nights free for our guest and a little something for that sweet tooth.
I hope you find your way back to us again soon!
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This property was on the higher end of the spectrum for this brand. Convenient location with an above average outdoor pool. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff was incredbily welcoming and friendly. If you are between Jackson and Memphis this is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for all the kind words!
We work hard to deliver a great stay to all our guest! Our staff works hard to welcome you and give you that home away from home feel. We do keep our outdoor pool open year round, so even when it is cold out we still have a nice view and welcome you always to have a seat around it!
We hope you will find your way back to us when in the area! Again Thank you for taking the time to review us!
macomb, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed Dec. 28th. We contemplated staying in Memphis but decided to keep driving until we found another town. We were pleasantly surprised to find this Holiday Inn along our travels and so nice inside the lobby and in the rooms. The staff were very friendly and great to converse with.(two ladies the morning of 29th at front desk)- ie, about the cardinals on the Christmas tree:). We paid $109 I believe and there is a complimentary breakfast. The wifi is free, however would not stay connected making it difficult to do anything on my computer. The beds were very comfortable and decorated more modern that usual which was a nice touch....also flat screen tvs. It was too cold to swim but I did see a pool and fitness center that looked very nice. Would recommend. to others as a safe and comfortable hotel. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere along the highway so it appeared more safe than most.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toni D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you again for choosing Holiday Inn Express Winona North. We are very pleased to hear that you made the right choice b y staying with us. And would like to apologize about the poor quality in the WIFI. We are currently going through a renovation of our wireless connection. Our IT professionals are changing out our routers so the connection was impaired. We promise next time you stop through the wireless service will be outstanding. I hope you had a safe trip home and come visit us again!

- Kendra Loggins
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My room was one of 15 in a group who were staying in Winona this Thanksgiving for a wedding. For four nights, the Holiday Inn Express made us feel like family. They could not have been more accommodating, making sure we had everything we needed and were able to celebrate the joyous occasion and holiday comfortably. Even when we let the excitement get the better of our group (sometimes getting a little too loud after a day of celebrating), the staff treated us with professional courtesy and respect.
I had never been to Mississippi and did not know what to expect of a hotel so far out in the country. I've never been happier with a stay. Huge thanks to the kind staff in this lovely hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toni D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Ive got to say the pleasure was all ours! What a great group of friends! We had a wonderful time taking care of your group and hope that you and your friends and family will come back and visit the happy couple. We love taking care of guest here in Winona. It makes us happy that you noticed our efforts. Thank you again and please come back and visit!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Winona North? Share your experiences!