“Warm Fire and Great British Pub Food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nestled in the Dorset village of Shipton Gorge a few miles east of Bridport, the New Inn is a traditional village pub and beer garden managed and run by the local community. Whether you live round the corner or are visiting the area, the New Inn offers everything you could want from a village pub - a warm welcome, a gorgeous building with bags of character, top quality food and drink (including pristine Cask Marque ales) and a real community feel. With the Jurassic Coastline as a backdrop, many guests call at the New Inn for refreshments and food, whilst navigating the lovely countryside and network of paths that the parish has to offer.
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Warm Fire and Great British Pub Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Found this little village pub after taking a long walk along the coast - it was a great place to warm up after a very chilly walk! Main 'pluses' were the fire, the selection of Palmers ales and the very, very good traditional food. I had the steamed pudding which was delicious and, I am afraid to say, I rare treat in pubs nowerdays. My wife went for the fish and chips which looked great. The service was a touch on the slow side but we were not in any rush and it was good to releax by the fire. We have since learned a little bit about the story of the pub - the villagers all clubbed together to save the pub a few years ago and now help run it - and it was nice to feel we were helping such a good cause

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Cosy, friendly pub serving delicious hearty food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I visit The New Inn fairly regularly. We often drive a fair distance to enjoy a delicious meal, a few drinks and some great company.

The pub itself is very cosy and welcoming, and the staff work hard to create a relaxed atmosphere.

The New Inn is a family-friendly pub. I have seen many families eating in the dining area, and I was delighted to find they have baby changing facilities available!

We have eaten at this pub a few times now, different times of day, different days of the week. It never fails to satisfy....

The food served is much better than your average pub food. You can really enjoy a good hearty meal here at a very reasonable price. For chocoholics like myself, I can thoroughly recommend the chocolate truffle... Yum!

We will be back again later in the year. Looking forward to it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
“"The best crab sandwich I've ever eaten"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We came for lunch today and had a tuna baguette and a crab sandwich on our way home from Sussex. I just wanted you to know that the crab sandwich was probably the BEST that I have ever eaten and we WILL be back!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York, NY
“delicious fresh food with a friendly lively crowd in a tiny village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Visited two summers ago and though didn't make it back to this area on our family trip to Dorset this year, when I do I will be back. We were staying in the village of Shipton Gorge and never would have guessed that such great food would be available "up the hill." We went on a weekend night and it was busy, we had to wait but the bartender (who I believe was the owner) was so friendly and welcoming that the wait flew by. You can enjoy a drink indoors with what was a very nice local crowd or outside int he country air. The food is delicious--flavorful and fresh--and worth the wait. It is such a fun classic English pub experience but with food that is neither the bland pub fare of yore or the too-minimalist-gastropub popping up everywhere. It's like eating a home cooked meal that's still interesting and prepared with perfection. My father and I loved The New Inn.

• Visited October 2010