“Christmas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Punch Bowl

Punch Bowl
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Satley
Punch Bowl
Satley DL13 4HU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Satley B&B and Inns
“Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Christmas dinner what can I say it was gorgeous this is our second visit for christmas dinner and we will be going back for christmas dinner next year you can't go past this place for meals management and staff are very friendly the Aberdeen beef was very nice the wife said the Turkey was also nice from beginning to end it was cracking

Stayed December 2013

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I were looking for somewhere new to go for a meal as we are part of a large group of walkers and cyclists who would probably spend in the region of £200 between us on a normal night. Anyway, we popped into the Punchbowl tonight for a meal. First impressions were good. Lovely cosy fire and a pretty good choice of menu. The landlady served our drinks at the table and advised that there would be a 20 minute wait for the food. Okay, so far. Then 30 minutes later the food arrived. The handcooked chips on both plates were very well done, verging on burnt, but just say edible if you were very hungry, which we were. My wife's punch chicken had burnt blackened parma ham on top. The landlady saw this and offered to take it back, although we couldn't understand why she brought it out if she thought it so burnt. However, being polite and hungry, my wife said it would be okay (after all we had waited 30 minutes atready). My burger was fine, except for a soggy bun, but would have been acceptable if the food had been brought out 5-10 mins earlier so that the chips weren't burnt.
When we finished, the landlady came to clear the plates and asked if it was okay. I could only be honest and say that it was disappointing. My wife said that it could have been good if the ham wasn't burnt, the chips overdone and the vegetables not swimming in oil.
The landlady replied, fine, just don't pay for it then.
We thought that was a good attitude. However, when we were ready to leave we approached the bar to settle our bill and she said was I not happy with my meal either. I said that the chips were rather burnt. She interjected, well that's it then, don't pay. I said we would be happy to pay for the drinks though. She said, no, I think it was out of order. I thought she was agreeing with us. However, my wife realised what she meant, that she thought WE were out of order. My wife said, you asked us for our opinion and we gave our honest answer. The landlady repeated that we were out of order. We tried to be nice, but she was adamant saying that that was the best we could do and if was wasn;t good enough then we should just leave and don't come back. We were totally flabbergasted! She could have just apologised for the burnt food and gave us maybe an incentive to come back...we would have happily tried them again, but not after been treated so offensively. The Punchbowl have missed out on potentially hundreds or perhaps £1000s of future custom, just because this landlady cannot take some honest feedback. What a shame! She really needs to learn more about the business and good customer service...or I fear the Punchbowl will be closing up once again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
bradford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Wanted to visit beamish, so booked the Punch Bowl for the weekend, the best choice I could make, Gill and Terry were the perfect hosts the food was very good and the room was beautiful and clean, will go there again if ever we are up there, we were very pampered. Highly recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with this hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to this pub which has a welcoming atmosphere and good, honest, home cooked food. The service was a little slow, but that didn't stop us from enjoying our meal which was excellent value for money. We will be back!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have been here a few times and the main thing that irritates me is the lack of handheld menu, you arrive on time for your table, but then instead of being shown to the table, they tell you to choose from the various blackboards before you sit. This makes you feel rushed and awkward just standing there! I don't like this and for the four times we have been none of the people we have been with have either. The first time I thought it was just while they were waiting for them to be printed, but clearly not. The food is nice and the waitresses are always helpful and friendly, except I have found one to wear inappropriately short skirts (didn't see her last night). Like I say all enjoyed the food albeit we had to wait a while. There is another blackboard in the restaurant but it is situated behind a table and if that table is full you can't see it for the bodies at the table and also if I was sat at that table I wouldn't want anyone staring at me. May I suggest you either print menus or hang the board above the fireplace for all to see. Overall fine, but please sort the menus.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Called here for lunch while travelling on a wet, miserable day. Cheered up when I saw the real fire!
I had fish and chips because the veggie dish didn't look very interesting and my husband had beef and pigeon. The food was fine and the staff were friendly. I would eat here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I always judge a pub lunch by whether it's as good as what you would have at home. Believe me, the Sunday Lunch at The Punch Bowl is beautiful. Lots of meat off the joint, huge Yorkies, roasted veg, roasted potatoes then a dish of cabbage, turnip and mash, accompanied by a jug of the tastiest gravy.
This was a real treat and WELL above average. Anyone in the Co. Durham area, give The Punch Bowl a try, you will NOT be disappointed.

Stayed September 2013

Been to Punch Bowl? Share your experiences!