“Great Place” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

Rooms were very nice; everyone in the hotel and casino from extremely friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this place. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Tunica-May 1 to the 4. We got free air, hotel and food so couldn't pass it up. When we arrived at the hotel we were surprised that we were in a suite. Very nice rooms that have just been re done. Ours was a king bed and a view overlooking the Mississippi. The room was very nice but we left some suggestions on the comment cards-i.e in the bathroom the towel racks are about 12 feet from the shower, why no hooks/racks closer?, large foyer entry which could have been used to make the closet bigger. But all in all very nice room and comfy bed. Pillows are quite hard and high so my husband requested a 'flatter' on but it wasn't much better. So if you like a flat pillow may want to bring your own. Bathroom has a vacuflush system so very loud flushing noise. The service and hospitality in the hotel and casino was GREAT!! Our first night there we did the Steak and Lobster buffet-I will say all the food was quite hot on the buffet (which I am picky about). You can have beer and/or wine with dinner which is included but just have to request it when you pay. Some of the food wasn't labeled which I thought should be done especially folks with foods allergies (added to comment card). But taste, variety were good. You got whole lobsters, crab legs, shrimp along with many other items. After dinner we rolled into the Casino which was busy being a Friday night. They had a band performing at one bar and they sounded very good. Nice variety of machines (we don't play tables but they were busy, minimums were lower during the day) and poker room on the second floor. Drink service was good and a small tip ensured a revisit. Saturday we woke to RAIN!!! Which continued all day to the amount of 2.5". Where the casinos are located there isn't too much else to do unless you rented a car. We went to the Atrium cafe for breakfast-even though good (cinnamon raisin french toast and blueberry pancakes, we found the service to be a little slow from our waiter). Following breakfast we walk to the other Casinos close by-Horseshoe and the Shereton. From either one of these you can get a free shuttle to the Harrah's casino.Nice to check out other places. Saturday night we had reservations at the Chicago Steakhouse. We like a good steak so we were looking forward to dinner. The restaurant is quite small and intimate. We ordered appetizers, soup and entree. The appetizers were good-Shrimp cocktail and Sauteed scallops. For the soup I had the French Onion and my husband had the Lobster Bisque-neither of which we liked. We were quite surprised when our waiter cleared away our almost full soup bowls and didn't question if we liked our soup (points off for that). Both of us had the filet as our entree-I add the crab legs with mine. Both were ordered medium as I was told that was pink in the middle. When the entree arrived it was cold and after getting it reheated it was still quite rare in the center. We found that our waiter was not attentive and didn't check back on us as he was busy with a table of 'high rollers'. Considering the price of the food I was quite dissapointed in this. We played a little on the machines and called it a night (still raining). Woke to the rain again on Sunday and headed to the Champagne Brunch-Very good. You can have Bloody Mary, Mojitos (no limit-minimal tip if you wish) with you meal if you choose. There was an Omelett station which also prepared eggs as desired. Fresh waffles, biscuits and gravy, ham, bacon-along with a variety of breads, fruits, etc. Very nice selection and again food hot. Watch the handles of the serving utensils as they get very hot laying on the steamer trays. Being that we didn't eat until noon we didn't plan to eat dinner until about 9p-making reservations again at Chicago Steakhouse, figure we would give them another try. During the day (still raining) we visited the other casnos and made our donations. Harrah's seemed to be the biggest but we seemed to like Gold Stike the best. Headed to dinner around 9pm (no certain dress code enforced). Had a great waiter, Frank. He was very attentive. We ordered the chilled Seafood platter-it looked very nice-Lobster, shrimp, crab, mussels, clams-but very bland in flavor and some of the items still frozen. We opted not to have soup due to our past experience. I had the Spinach salad which was good. My husband had the Steakhouse soup served in a bread bowl-very thick almost stew like, but not a real robust flavor. We had both ordered the special-which was a 12 ounce file butterflied and served with a blue cheese sauce, shrimp and asparagus. When our entree was served I knew I was in trouble when I took my first bite-it was cold and hardly cooked-we both sent our dinners back and even after being 'warmed/cooked' the steaks were still rare. I will say Frank our waiter noticed our frustration and contacted his manager. One of the meals was taken off the bill. My concern continued as this is being called a Steakhouse and two out of two times they couldn't cook a steak. I guess like anything else food service and quality was hit or miss. This restaurant isn't cheap so I would have thought they would have had higher standards. On our final day (Monday) we chose to eat at the buffet-again good selection and hot foods. They also had a table with coffee and a variety of flavorings that you could add. The hotel staff at the desk couldn't have been nicer-anything you need, just call or ask. We will definitely return to Gold Strike-it did seem to be the biggest in the area. Very enjoyable. Wish there was a shuttle to other casinos. Any questions email me at lesleyputnam@sbcglobal.net

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
592 short creek rd dover tn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

been going to gold strike for about 3 yrs. for b-day always had a very good time but these b-day was the worst. let freddie frick read this i cant believe i had a bad time the worst b-day ever.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Moore, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

Have ignored the Gold Strike for many many months as they tumbled down hill! Started reading stirrings of "getting better" reviews on various boards and decided to given them another try. Wow! Their customer service is off the page, outstanding, excellent, wow ... They are even better than (the old days) several years ago. Everyone is smiling and efficient, food was great, rooms were awesome, and on and on and on ... Congratulations, welcome back and PLEASE STAY!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Mt.Orab,Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

My friends and I spent the day in Memphis and came in really late. They didn't notice the bloodstains on the white comforters on both beds until the next day. We called the hotel staff who immeidatly apoligized and sent up new dark brown comforters. These were also dirty, so we just took them off the bed. I was disappointed that the fitness room opened and closed at 7:00. I like to exercise before bed or early in the morning and I thought it should be open later.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

The rooms were clean and the front desk well managed. People were friendly and good over-all service. Free drinks if you're gambling - just like Vegas. The rooms were very clean and recently remodeled. The food in the buffet area varied in quality - Prime Rib was tough and the Saturday Night Lobster had no flavor. However, the Rib-eye and chicken were good.

We'll be back to visit our money in the near future!

• Stayed January 2009
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

This was a special Valentine's Day surprise for me from my husband. It was my first stay at the Gold Strike. The room was perfect, just what my husband had requested. We had a non-smoking room on a high floor with a view of the Mississippi river. The room was recently remodeled. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Very nice touches in the room including flat screen TV, coffee maker, and beautiful marbled bathroom. All the employees were very professional and friendly greeting us each morning with a warm hello. The lobby was beautiful and elegant. My only negative was that the casino was a bit smoky. My husband and I had dinner at the Chicago Steakhouse, a beautiful restaurant located in the casino. It was one of the the highlights of our trip. Our dinner was excellent. The Chilean sea bass was melt in your mouth delicious and the shrimp cocktail was the largest and tastiest I've ever had. I was tempted to take pictures of our food. It was that beautiful! We had a very nice experience at the Gold Strike. I would love to stay there again.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Gold Strike Casino Resort? Share your experiences!