“Courteous staff, drab hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Tunica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Moscow Mills, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I were very impressed by the room. Being in the IT industry, the first thing I do is connect to the internet and do a speed test. I was very happy to see 8.5Mbps up and down! The WiFi coverage was decent as well. They could definitely use an upgrade on the TVs in the rooms. The hotel is located right down the street from Sam's Town and Hollywood Casinos. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was the only person there the first night when I checked in a bit before midnight on a Wednesday in January. Check in was fast. When I asked about the empty lot they mentioned it was their offseason. One night I did hear a door close fairly loudly and there were only two cars in the lot so I'm not sure what the door-closing noise level would be like with a bunch of folks staying there. One night there were three cars in the lot, presumably including the employee's car. Then I heard the TV blasting in the room next to me. Two guests in the building and we're putting them in contiguous rooms? A week later I stayed again and there seemed to be a normal number of cars in the parking lot so maybe there isn't some dark secret that everyone else knows after all.

Each time i've stayed the gentleman at the front desk has been friendly. The rooms don't have a refrigerator.

Bedding
Pillows above average for this tier of hotel. The sheet was below average. The mattress comfort was above average.

Heating/cooling
The thermostat is in a slightly annoying low location where you have to get low to adjust it. Heating system noise level was good (fairly quiet).

Bathroom
The fan worked and was quiet. This is actually surprisingly rare in this tier of hotels, I haven't seen this in quite a while. The aesthetics of the tub surround and shower were below average. Above average shower head, water pressure and temperature. Sink/counter space is below average. Toilet paper is below average.

TV
In room 120 picture quality was unacceptably bad. You can watch it and tell what's going on but it's very low quality. During another stay in room 232 the picture quality was probably acceptable. The number of channels available is probably below average but acceptable as few folks are going there to stay in the room and watch TV. It's some basic package with ESPN and a few others.

Internet
The wireless internet signal was weak in my room (middle of the ground floor). The access point seemed to be in the lobby not too far away so i'm not sure what's going on there.

Minor items that don't really matter to me
There were some minor scuffs on the walls, strange paint splotches on the side of the chair, a small crack in the wall near the shower curtain rod in each room, and the towels were mismatched (but all white and clean).

Alarm
One morning a building-wide alarm sounded starting at 03:40 AM and lasted until after 04:20 AM. The sheriff and fire department showed up and troubleshot the problem. Later they would say it was an alarm related to the water pressure. On the positive side, if there is ever a fire there is no way anyone is sleeping through it. The alarm is unbearably loud in the room. Unfortunately the downside is pretty clear; if there is a 45 minute long false alarm in the middle of the night, well, it's bad. Later that morning (and also the next day) I asked if management was going to do something to take care of us. I never got any response.

Contacting corporate
When I sent Wyndham Microtel feedback using their website I didn't get an automated confirmation that they had received my feedback which seems unusual. Also their feedback form has a limit of 450 characters. I guess the two paragraphs of thoughts I could have provided were unwanted. Six hours later I got a response saying they would address the issue within four days. Four days later I got a mostly-canned email telling me to fax my credit card statement to them; the item under discussion has nothing to do with my credit card. After some back and forth nothing seems to be getting accomplished.

Getting there
The drive is easy, just don't be faked out by the large sign pointing to casino center like someone I know. If you fall for it though you can hang a left later and get back to where you need to be. If you're rolling in with GPS navigation calling cadence this is of course a moot point.

Affiliation
Member of the Wyndham Rewards family.

In absolute terms I wasn't paying much, but in relative terms I had the worst rate of anyone I talked to. In this specific area the value seems to be lower than nearby alternatives. It would be a different story if this were the price in an urban area where the competition is higher-priced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tunica Resorts? Share your experiences!