“Not Overly Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not Overly Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had an opportunity to return to Fitz's again this summer. This time, we actually stayed there because we were a given a comp for a free night's stay. I would have probably rated this hotel 2-stars, but they deserve some credit for giving us the free night.

The wait time at check-in was not really too bad. The line was long, but the employees at the counter moved quickly. There is a bit of a walk from the parking garage to the hotel, luckily we packed light so it was not much of a problem for us. The hotel itself looked rather run down and in need of some remodeling. Our room was small and very basic, and it felt very dark. One light did not work at all, the carpeting looked very old, and the bathroom floor was not very clean. The mattress on the bed was way too soft and squishy, and the sheets smelled bad. The floors were very thin, as we could hear the tenants above us "enjoying each other's company" around 12:30 in the morning. The topper was when we called for a wake up call the next morning, and no one called. Luckily, we set an alarm on my cell phone as a backup.

While we really appreciated the opportunity to stay for free, I can't imagine actually paying to stay here. If the management of the hotel wants to impress people and build a loyal customer base by giving them free nights, however, they should really consider giving those customers a better looking room. Otherwise, they will probably not return. Most people would rather pay a few bucks for a nice room -vs- a crappy one for free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

At 2.55pm there are no rooms ready. At 3.00pm all rooms are miraculously available. Can you guess what happens at the front desk? Anyone who enjoys wasting their lives in line will love this place. Rooms are dirty with old "furniture". Last century TV with few channels. A/C very noisy and directed straight on to the bed. Mold in bathroom. Corridors dark and dingy. The final straw was to find out that the restaurant is closed weekdays and the only "restaurant" is the buffet. Can you imagine what it is like when a thousand people try to get into the buffet because there is nowhere else? We got into the car and spent most of our stay at other hotels. Had I not paid in advance via expedia, I'd have been out like a shot. Casino is very, very noisy. I am negotiating a refund.
There are too many faults to list. They could not pay me to stay there again!

Room Tip: The good rooms are in other hotels! Avoid the place.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

First, the good: We ate one dinner and two breakfasts at the Fitz buffet, and they were all very good. The service was excellent--all the servers were polite and helpful. We also had fun playing slots in the casino. The Fitz player's club has generous comps. On Wednesdays, for instance, players 50 or older get a $5 buffet. In addition, earn 10 points on a Wednesday and get a free spin on a prize wheel. My husband won a free hotel stay (which he traded for a free buffet, since we'll never stay at the Fitz again), and I got $5 in promo play.

Now, the bad. We've stayed at The Fitz a few times in the past and had beautiful rooms. This time, we showed up at 4:10 on a Wednesday to check into our room and were told it would be at least an hour before our room was ready. The lobby was full of others who were waiting for their rooms as well. We went back at around 5 and were told that the room they'd held for us wasn't ready, but they did have another room available. The room was one of the worst we've ever stayed in, and we've stayed in a LOT of hotels across the country. The carpet was worn and dingy to the point that I didn't want to be barefoot, the finish was wearing off the small entertainment center and one of the drawers was broken, the face plate had fallen off an electrical outlet, there was mold on the caulking around the bathtub, the old, spotted wallpaper was coming loose at the seams in the bathroom, lots of rusty-looking spots on the lower metal door frame in the bathroom. I wish I'd taken pictures. This room (461) was obviously original to the hotel and should never be rented again until it is totally renovated! At checkout, we weren't asked how our room was and the desk clerk didn't seem interested when we told her the room was nasty. Not a proud showing for The Fitz.

Room Tip: I don't recommend staying here. If you do, don't accept a bad room.
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Staff is RUDE charged money on my card had to call hotel and all she could say is they weren't responsible for overdraft fees even though it was their fault. Casino staff was rude. Food was ok when we had breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013
Gallatin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hall ways are a little dark by the decor and the rooms seem small, but I felt like it was clean. The buffet was clean and priced better than any other in the area. Catfish, peal and eat shrimp, tuna salad from salad bar, breakfast was great, can not say enough about this place. Indoor pool for adults only.

Picked the bed and breakfast rate. Great value!!!

Room Tip: They all seem to be the same. I stayed in middle of hotel. I would have liked to stay at the end s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been here many times and from the first time I came to Fitzgerald's I have enjoyed myself. I signed up for the players card while here with a group and now stay most of the time for free but the max is like $20. I start playing with their money and just use what I would pay for a room in Memphis. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose but it still cheap entertainment. They have a good buffet and a fancy steakhouse depending on what you're in the mood for.The rooms are spacious and always clean. You have to pay separately for internet and there is limited tv channels. There is also a fitness room and pool. I love staying at the castle!

• Stayed June 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

the food service is awful not enough people working in the snack bar and the buffet service set-up is crazy with long lines also the menu's in the so called fancy restruant need to be replaced and service and some of the staff is not good. Old TV's in the rooms. why? The beds were soft and a joy to sleep in, but the room was not as clean as it could be they also need to be updated.
I would come back again because I did win some money, but do hope that these things are addressed.

Room Tip: all the room seem to be very good for a good nigh sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Fitzgerald's Casino and Hotel? Share your experiences!