“Couldn't wait to leave” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 20 hotels in Tunica
Kansas City, Missouri
“Couldn't wait to leave”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed two nights as comp. The room was musty, smoke filled and the wall paper was pulled back from the wall with what looked like water damage. The beds/pillows were uncomfortable and the the floors were nasty. House keeping was knocking on our door at 8 in the morning to make sure we were checking out by 11 since they had a lot of rooms to clean. The buffet had a good selection, but most of the food had no flavor or was overcooked- mac and cheese was like mush noodles in an orange-colored sauce and the dishes were dirty. Most of the staff (at hotel desk as well as the ladies at the promo desk were rude.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Tunica, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we will definitely notify our Director of Operations overseeing the hotel and restaurants. We would like to receive more information at your convenience so that we may address your concerns.

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed at Sam's Town Sunday 9/15/13. We received "comps" for room so thought why not. When I booked two rooms (one for us, one for Mom) I requested the rooms be close as my mother is 83. I ask for non smoking, handicapped rooms. I told hotel staff I was on oxygen due to lung cancer and would like to be close to elevator as I can not walk far. Hotel staff put us on one end of the hotel and Mom on the other. My husband had to go check on her two times during the night because she was frightened of the noise in the hallway. The sign in the room stated this room had been cleaned for "No Smoking. The smoke was so thick in the room I couldn't sleep or breathe the whole night. I was so glad to get out of there, I was up and ready to leave at 5:00am. My question to hotel staff was, is this the kind of service you get when you use your "comps"? So far no one will answer!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Tunica, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for making a comment and bringing this to our attention and we certainly apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact us so that we may ask a few more questions regarding your stay. We do strive to offer excellent service to all guests regardless of the reservation type, complimentary, or direct payment.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed 2nights, smoke smell was Very bad, food was poor quality. I was going to the pool, could not stay because the pool was dirty and cloudy
looking. The lights out at the pool area was clovered in spider webs and spiders. Just looked nasty . Air condition did not work well, are room became very hot during the night, My husband was looking forward to playing poker, low and behold the poker and keno rooms was closed down. Will find another place to play

• Stayed September 2013
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Sam's Town Tunica offers a clean and convenient place to stay at a competitive rate for the area for fun outings with friends. Hallways can be a little loud but you're in Tunica and people are having fun so that should be expected. The dinner and breakfast buffets offer plenty of options for everyone to be happy. Would recommend making sure the coffee pot in your room works BEFORE you need it in the morning. Other than that small detail it was a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We just got back from our weekend stay ay Sam's Town.....I have no complaints except the air conditioner could have been a little better....We have never stayed here before but had free weekend nights on Labor Day weekend so thought sure why not...It was great and we will stay again I am sure...We were eating breakfast Saturday morning and I noticed some people gathered around someone across the room, so me being nosey had to find out what was going on. It was Sinbad the entertainer, letting people take his picture even taking it with them, very nice and wasn't covered with security....I would say over all this was a very enjoyable trip....

Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Hotel is of course geared towards those who are older and want to gamble 2-3 days and stay cheaply. Definitely rooms were inexpensive and were clean (walls in hallway a little thin). We were a little dismayed to open our curtains and see a raccoon limping across the roof and then an family of 5 crawl out of the ditch and towards the garbage, but that's nature. Slots were tight but the worst parts were this: We went to eat at 840pm - the buffet was closing at 9pm and the deli was closed for cleaning. The deli then carts things across to the buffet and opens IN the buffet at 9pm with a limited menu. Limited is right. Sandwiches. no chips no fries, no nothing. We were flabbergasted by that. Then on "Senior Tuesday" when we returned from a day trip at 930pm we could not claim our promotion because it is only 7am to 9pm. We won't stay again probably.

Trinity, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have made numerous trips to Tunica for gambling experiences and usually stay at Sam's Town because they offer a three day comp. We found, as on numerous occasions, that a lot of employees at Sam's have an "attitude". They act as though it is an inconvenience when they have to wait on you or give you information. This trip seemed worse than the others. Also, as I was sitting in a chair in our room, my husband asked if I had cut my toenails. I said "No, why?" Looking down, about 2 inches from where my feet were, I found three toenail clippings just lying on top of the carpet. That meant that in between occupants leaving the room and our checking in, the maid obviously had not vacuumed the room. Another interesting thing we found unacceptable is that the room was not equipped with an iron/ironing board. We were told we could call down to the desk and they would bring us one. To me, that would be very inconvenient. As we left, I asked to talk to the head housekeeper to let that person know of our experience with the toenails. A man came out and I unfolded my napkin where I had collected the toenails and put them on a piece of paper for him to see. He said he didn't know how this could have happened because they check the rooms and make sure the rooms are clean. He even went as far to say that it could have been a maintenance employee who came in the room in between occupants and had clipped his toenails. Are you serious? He said he would address the problem but I had the feeling as soon as we left, he would throw the toenails in the garbage and go on with his day.
We also ate at the buffet and their food has truly gone downhill. My husband is a big eater and left quite a bit on his plate as it tasted old and bland. I do believe no matter what offers we receive in the future, Sam's will NOT be the hotel we choose to stay at.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor (9th floor), nonsmoking, and only heard minimal noise in the hall (housek...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Tunica, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to notify us of your experience. Your comments will be sent to our Director of Operations for immediate attention. We have very specific housekeeping guidelines that must be completed and verified each day. We will be auditing our inspections to insure our standards are being met and sincerely apologize for your room condition.

Been to Sam's Town Tunica? Share your experiences!