“Efforts were made” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Germantown, Tennessee
“Efforts were made”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

First let me say that we used a three night comp to stay here; we didn't expect one of their better rooms. We arrived around 8:30 p.m. and asked for a hotel luggage trolley to get our bags into our room. We had to wait for 20 minutes until a bellman was found. :-( Mosquitoes were so bad, we had to come inside to wait. Check-in went off without a problem. We asked for a non-smoking room on a high floor and received a quiet room on the 9th floor. It was a view of the back area, not anything to look at, but quiet.

Walking down the hall to our room we noticed a lot of trash on the floor, and it was obvious that the rug needed to be re-stretched, at the least. In our room, it looked like the floor wasn't vacuumed either. The rest of the room was relatively clean, just not a lot of attention to lamp shades (hair), dried soda (on bedside drawer top), window ledges & windows, etc. The fridge in the room was clean but it was missing shelves and fronts to the door storage.

The real problems - the room smelled badly of stale smoke. From a sign in the room, it seems rooms are not designated non-smoking and, my guess, the staff sprays a deodorizer for smoke - but that typically doesn't work well. I was tired and let it go for the night. Problem was, when I went to bed, the linens and pillows on the bed also smelled heavily like stale smoke. **Yuck** Add to that the air conditioning. When we walked in, the room was warm. Checked the thermostat, it said 60; lovely, another hotel with a central thermostat and the fake thermostat in the room . The room was at least 75; curtain opens all day on a hot, sunny, 98 degree day, it was no surprise. Not a restful night.

The next morning my husband talked with the front desk regarding the smoke smell in the room and on the sheets along with the problem with the air. When he was standing there, she contacted housecleaning and put in our request. We didn't return to the room for at least 12 hours, but when we did there was a business card in the lock from the maintenance man who 'worked' on the AC. The room was much cooler, all the linens had been changed, and the room smelled much better. The floor was clean of all the debris (as was the hall). Not only did they correct the problems we noted, they did so without comment or question. Their actions were appreciated.

There is no wi-fi in the hotel except, from what I saw, in the lobby. I have my own secured wireless system so it wasn't a problem for me...but I am sure it may be for others. The rooms do not have near enough outlets for the electronics most people have today. I always pack an extension cord along with a 6 outlet extension so we can plug in our phones, computers, cameras, etc. The TVs are fine - it's their choice of cable/satellite that is lacking. It's all analog so every channel is fuzzy, the choice of stations is very limited, and don't expect any free HBO or Showtime. The food venues are limited - a steakhouse, a buffet (ate here once in June, never again; meh at best), and a "snacks n stuff". No mid-range restaurant to get breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I'm not a buffet fan (too much $ for what I eat and usually mediocre food) so we always left and had breakfast at another casino. It's a shame as we saw others leaving for breakfast as well. In fact, we ate NO meals at Sam's Town because of the limited options for dining. Hopefully the management will replace the empty restaurant on the 2nd floor with something that meets this need.

Best thing about our room - the drapes. They blocked ALL the sun, so much so we even overslept one day! :-) The best thing about the hotel - the staff. They were friendly and always helpful. We may be back but the hotel was just average; even with the room comped, I would consider paying for a room in another casino. The biggest negatives, IMHO, is the lack of dining venues and no wi-fi/poor TV. I'm in my early 50s but it just feels that this Sam's Town is catering toward the retirees. ST could stand some updates in services (food, wi-fi, etc), especially if they want to attract folks other than retirees.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Tunica, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for this review and the specific information provided. We value your opinion and will send your comments to our Director of Operations for immediate review of our hotel procedures in regards to room presentation and the 9th floor hallway. Again, thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for a good atmosphere, this is your place!!! I've stayed many times through the years, it's my favorite place to stay. The rooms are clean, comfy, and spacious. The lower the floor you stay...the cooler the room fyi. The staff is amazing, you can't beat them anywhere...and I've been a lot of places :) I've read the reviews before me, and I've stayed at the other casinos. Yes, the place is a little aged, and apparently the smoking snobs think it's too smokey. So if you're into ritzy and got the cash, go somewhere else lol. We'll be at Sams Town having a great time, with people who make you feel right at home :)

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here during the July 4th weekend. The room was hot even though the thermostat was set on 60 degrees. Everything in the room was old from the carpet to the furniture. The room also had an ancient television. The room was overlooking the parking lot, but the windows were so dirty that you could hardly see out of them. The bathroom vents were FULL of dust. It was a comp room so you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Tunica, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments and we apologize for any discomfort. Our Director of Hotel Operations and Facilities Manager will be notified immediately to inspect exhaust vents and HVAC.
Hartselle, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel was very nice (aged) but nice. Very clean rooms. We were in a non smoking room but you couldn't tell it. It smelled every bit as smokey as if someone was smoking in the room. The air conditioner was not working like it should it was very damp in our room. It was set on 64 and never got below 75 in the room. The beds slept wonderful, very comfortable. The employees were really nice there. They were working on the fire alarms and set them off at 6:30am on Friday morning of our stay. That was not a pleasant wake up call. I would stay there again, but would put a towel at the base of the door to keep the smoke smell from tunneling in.

Anchorage, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here June 26th. After having spent the day cruising through the Mississippi Delta to find the 3 Robert Johnson gravesites, and the evening in Clarksdale, we finally checked in around 1am. Dropped $80 downstairs in the casino (it's no Vegas), then back to bed for the night. Room was very nice, and the pizza from the cafe downstairs was way better than I expected. But I see no reason to go to Tunica when Las Vegas exists, unless you're in the area (as we were).

Room Tip: Lower rooms are probably quite a bit cooler than higher floors.
Fort Worth TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Nice size room, quite and good curtains to block sun. BUT when open door could smell smoker odor. Contacted a maid near by next am and she gave me a spray. I sprayed the curtains and carpet. Helped some. Floor lamp in corner was wobbly when was trying turn on. Passed on room food delivery as too high and want 17% plus with that. We drove back into Tunica and located Blue and White Café on 61. We web connection inside room.

Room Tip: No web connection from room. Need go to lobby to get service.
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We've stayed at Sam's Town many times in the past including some gambling bus trips (that's how we first found this location) as well as trips on our own. We were disappointed this time. You can't beat the middle of the week rates but I guess we got what we paid for. I asked for a room overlooking the pool area (otherwise your view is of parking lots etc.) View okay but our room was next to the elevators and the housekeeping supply room. Not a prime location and the room itself was showing its age. The room could use a good deep cleaning and the carpet is stained and needs replacement. They were not very generous with either cups or coffee supplies (3 cups each day and two coffee pods, not replenished after first day.) The most annoying was the pounding on the door at 9:30 a.m. by housekeeping when the "do not disturb" sign was on the door. Check out is not til 11 and when I opened the door the housekeeper was walking away and said "never mind." As others have mentioned, there is no wifi except by the snack bar and the smoke does get to you when you are not a smoker. Everyone was quite friendly and welcoming but I think since there are so many other choices we will go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sam's Town Tunica? Share your experiences!