“Thong underwear, ants and a lost reservation” 2 of 5 stars

Days Inn & Suites Starkville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119 State Route 12 West, Starkville, MS 39759   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Starkville
Laurel, MS
“Thong underwear, ants and a lost reservation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

Upon arrival I was told they could not confirm my reservation for three nights even though I gave them my confirmation number and told them I booked through the Days Inn 1-800 number. The desk clerk finally found me a room, but said the rate was going to be $7 more per night. I asked her why since I had confirmed reservations and she couldn't give me an explanation except "that's just the way it is." Since there was a shortage of rooms in Starkville because of a couple of statewide clinics, I went ahead and stayed. The room was nothing special, worn carpet, older, but ok. I later discovered ants in the bathroom sink and the tub stopper did not work. The kicker, though, was when my teenage son found obviously worn women's thong underwear and pajamas in one of the drawers which we turned in to the front desk. Lovely! Also, when I tapped in to the wireless internet, I was able to easily pull up my reservation on the Days Inn web site. I wonder why they couldn't do the same. I told the lady at the front desk, but she just smiled and said she couldn't find it. On the third day, the clinic my son was attending was canceled at 1:30 in the afternoon and participants were encouraged to go home due to an impending ice storm. The manager, whom I never saw the whole time, would not even knock off a little on the final night's stay because it was after the checkout time. I know for a fact that Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn assisted some of their guests who were in the same predicament as us. I've complained with Days Inn Corporate and they told me this was an independently owned hotel. If reserving through the Days Inn 800 number doesn't guarantee a room price, and a clean room, then I won't be reserving or staying with them anymore. I will say that the people at the front desk were quite nice and sympathetic, but they weren't able to provide much help.

• Liked — Breakfast waffles
  • Disliked — Messed up reservations
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Atlanta, Ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

This hotel is convenient, but could really use some quality control on their housekeeping. Upon checking in, there was toothpaste in the vanity sink and coffee spilled on the counter. The next morning when planning on using the toiletries provided, I noticed that the seal was broken on both the shampoo and the rinse. I wonder if they just refill the bottles to cut down on the cost; in any event, I didn't use them. I always stay at hotels that offer wireless internet, and access is important to me. The connection here was so weak it was not functional. Overall, it's ok if you're willing to tolerate these inconveniences and not real demanding in terms of cleanliness. It is cheap, and it is convenient. It would be a good stay, perhaps for the solitary traveler, but I wouldn't take my family here.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Starkville hotels

Oak Grove, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

After reading some of the reviews here I was very hesitant to book at this motel. However it was the only available motel at the time. When I went in, I spoke to the owner and told him I wanted to view the room before I accepted it. And also made mention of the bed bugs that I had read about here. He assured me there was no problems and allowed me to view the room. The room was very clean, fresh smelling, and sheets and bed linens were clean. The carpet was a little worn, but clean as well. , We booked the room, and enjoyed our three day stay. The hotel staff was wonderful, and I was very pleased with our stay. For the price of our room, which was a suite, I felt we got an exceallant deal. The location is great with several restaurants nearby. We travel to Starkville each year and I will definitely stay there next year as well.

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — limited parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

We had to leave our room at 2:00 in the morning. The owner disputed our claim of bugs in the beds, despite photos of bloody sheets, bugs creeping on bed and bites on our bodies. The night clerk also witnessed the bugs as he actually came to the room. He stated that the rooms in this section had recently been treated by an exterminator for the bed bugs. After a nasty phone call with the owner, he did refund our money but also claimed we were racist for filing the claim. He was very rude, never apologized and tried to turn the situation into this being our fault for not wanting to pay for the stay. I have reported this problem with Days Inn Corporate.

Stayed June 2007
Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

On arrival (in broad daylight) it looked like either a drug deal going down or gang activity in the parking lot. The Confirmed Reservation I made through Days Inn On-line more than 2 months earlier was badly handled by this property. They did not recognize my confirmed reservation - said it was because I made through a 3rd party (Are they really part of Days Inn chain?) and received incorrect info via a fax. Owner/Manager blamed problem on a "new" clerk, but then he sent me to an occupied room and later to a smoking room after I explained I was highly allergic to smoke, showed my confirmed reservation with Days Inn logo for non-smoking room, and he assured me it was a non-smoking room. Room itself was adequate in furnishings and cleanliness but VERY "used" and dated. Property needs updating badly. Had I had any other option I would have left, I could not wait to get out first thing the next morning and Will Not stay here again.

Been to Days Inn & Suites Starkville? Share your experiences!