“A Pretty Good Steak but the Service has gotten Terrible” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Gulf Coast
“A Pretty Good Steak but the Service has gotten Terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This used to be one of our favorite places to eat when in Starkville for a ball game but the steaks were poorly cooked on our last visit. In addition, the service which was friendly and prompt has fallen off since the best servers were the mother and daughter combo and they are no longer there. Very casual atmosphere. Probably will not go back unless it improves.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Starkville, Mississippi
“"steak" house ha that's a joke”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

cappes has a great lunch optiion but one evening i decided i'd try a nice steak turns out i didnt get what i wanted i couldve cooked a better one at home

Visited May 2012
Tupelo, Mississippi
“if you're in a steak and baked potato mood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

very homey and casual...like home cooking...if you're in a classic steak and baked potato mood.

“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

After reading the review on trip advisor I was excited to try the steak. Our service was terrible. I ordered my steak rare and I got it medium well. When I sent it back I got a raw ice cold replacement. I would recommend you stay away.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Get treated like a local without making the move”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

I lived in Starkville for a year before I tried Cappe's. I had heard from professors and other locals that Cappe's was the place for a steak. Coach Mullen has them come out to cater new recruits and celebrate major wins. I was also wary after hearing it was a real no frills kinda place.
The food was awesome, large portions and eager to please. Unlike some places I've been to they will customize your salad and sides, as in my companion is taking blood thinner they made a special blend of grilled veggies for him so there wouldn't be any broccoli in it. Steaks were tender and cooked as ordered. We didn't have to wait very long either. Food and drinks were brought out at a good pace.
That said, most of their employees are young, local girls. We have dined here during lunch and had to wait because our waitress was ogling boys instead of attending to her tables. The other staff members were quick to correct her and stepped in so our overall experience was not hurt in the least. The decor is wood paneled and very rustic. If you want an upscale experience, go somewhere else. If you are more about good food at a good price then this may be your thing. http://www.campusspecial.com/mississippi-state has printable coupons for the place as well.

• Visited January 2011