“A downtown jewel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chester

You added Hotel Chester to your Saves list
Hotel Chester
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 N. Jackson St., Corner of Jackson and Main, Starkville, MS 39759   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Huntsville, Alabama
“A downtown jewel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Hotel Chester is a little jewel in downtown Starkville. The old building is charming, the rooms are comfy, and the staff is friendly and eager to please. I loved the made-to-order breakfast, the great martini I had at the inside bar, and the pleasant atmosphere of the beer garden when it was warm enough to enjoy it. I'd definitely go back and highly recommend it to anyone staying overnight in Starkville. It makes the newer hotels seem sterile, bland, and devoid of charm. Don't miss out; stay at the Hotel Chester!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is the most beautiful, charming, and cozy hotel I've stayed in while traveling in Mississippi. The pictures don't do it justice, and the service is OUTSTANDING. If given the choice, I don't know why anyone would stay in the Hilton "Garden" Inn when they can have all the authentic charm of historic downtown Starkville at The Chester. I checked in for one night - last night - and stayed in the Standard Queen room. After having walked down the hallway, complete with arches and 1920's style chandeliers, I was struck by the elegance of the room. Struck! All the features of the building's original design were still in place. Another thing I noticed - most hotels have streaks going down the hallway from people dragging their bags along the wall, but these hallways were spotless. Not a streak anywhere. No stains on the floor or in any fabric, including the bedspread. It's clear the owners invest a lot of work, money, and love in this place. I'll definitely be back! And hopefully snag a dinner at the now famous Beer Garden!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Jackson, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I booked a room here because all other hotels were booked for the MSU graduation. It was over priced. 239 for one night. I got the cabana King. It said it had a balcony over looking the beer garden. It was actually an outdoor entrance to the room, not a balcony, and the only view was the ugly roof. Completely deceiving. As far as the condition of the room, it had old worn out carpet, the bathroom was tiny and bad shape, and the sink area was pathetic. The sink had not been cleaned. There was a baby roach in it. It also shocked me to see the ironing board hanging on the wall and a small refrigerator with a microwave sitting on top of it. The coffee maker was dirty. I would not use it. I just expected an elegant historical place. And it was not elegant in the least. I do not usually give reviews but felt like this room was so expensive and I was so disappointed that I should share my information.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Muscle Shoals
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Starkeville is quaint college town w local shops and restaurants. This hotel is downtown in the middle of everything so it is very convenient. We just returned from trip to msu vet school and stayed here. rooms were clean but as with any older hotel were small. They have updated some amenities like coffee maker fridge and microwave. Staff were attentive and knowledgeable of area. Gordon burger at beer garden was huge and I split it and ginger house salad for dinner. Good selection of local ms beers. Breakfast was cooked to order w fruit and juice. Very good. We will stay here again but may try to get suite next time simply for larger bathroom. Did not look for a pool...accidentally touched rating on pool and it would not let me skip choice so put good

Room Tip: Cabana rooms are small and have view of roof
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Southaven, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed with a large group for the weekend for a college fraternity benefit for a former MSU student. The event was I the hotel making it nice for us to stay there but the rooms were all very small we had a suite and it was adequate. But the next morning the service at breakfast was probably the rudest woman I've ever met. She obviously did not want to work there or was in a terrible mood. She was rude to all of our friends and it was actually a running joke among us since we all stayed the whole weekend. The beer garden bar was nice and convenient and it was within walking distance from main and several great restaurants which worked out well. The maids saw us leaving our room the second day and asked if they needed to clean our room. We said, um I guess not but we need some soap and towels so that's all we got the bed wasn't even made! I've never seen anything like it! I will not stay there again unless desperate!

• Stayed March 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just stayed here the past week and the place was great. Cute hotel with a boutique style. Has a restaurant in the hotel called The Beer Garden. Has great food and a good selection of craft draft beer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Frankfort, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We came on a Thursday night to see the mighty Wildcasts of Kentucky silence the Mississipi State Fightin Palmeiros. KY lost but we still had a blast in Starkville...never thought I'd say that.

The hotel staff were very friendly, they had a bowl of apples at the desk which was a welcome snack taken by our road weary kids. The hotel is about a mile from the stadium and is easily walkable on the sidewalks, or there is gameday shuttle service from the Regions bank across the street.

The hotel room comes with a hot breakfast cooked to order in the hotel restaurant, a huge plus. The full service restaurant is called the Beer Garden and has a full menu and a great selection of local craft beers on tap as well as spirits. The room was very clean and well accoutered. Bathrooms were kind of small but clean, and lets be honest, its a room you go to wash dirt off of yourself and to deposti waste, so who really cares about having a huge bathroom??

In summation, the hotel staff, the location of the hotel, the hotel restaurant and bar, and the overall vibe of the place makes this a must stay hotel if you are visiting or going to a football game.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Chester? Share your experiences!