“Perfect First Night” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Starkville
Alabama
“Perfect First Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

I would definitely recommend this hotel. It can be pricier that other hotels in the area, but it is brand new and very nice. It is located right outside of town.

We found the staff to be professional and very accommodating. My husband and I spent the first night of our honeymoon there. I had reserved the "Romance Package" but had forgotten to call and specify that we would prefer sparkling grape juice instead of champagne. When we checked in, they told us that they did not have any sparkling grape juice, but if we didn't mind waiting the manager would go to the store and get some! Sure enough, 10 minutes later, a bottle of sparkling grape juice, along with complimentary cheese cake, was delivered to the room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Starkville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay at this hotel for our anniversary. Initially, we were really enjoying the stay, but as time passed, the service got worse and worse.
I received a survey from the company inquiring about our stay. One portion asked what could be done to make our stay better. Below is a copy of my response, however I have altered the names of the individual people to whom I spoke :

Perhaps asking members of the housekeeping staff to refrain from asking if a guest's visit is business, pleasure or sexual. I called and spoke to the manager on duty (D***) about this incident. After describing the individuals who came to the door as well as giving her additional information as to how she would be able to identify the time of the occurrence, D*** assured me she would look into the matter, however she never gave me any feedback.
One morning, housekeeping knocked on the door and told us we needed to sign a form (though not explaining why we should sign). My husband signed (or initialed) the form the first time. This morning of which I am referring is also the morning the member of housekeeping asked that very inappropriate before mentioned question. On another morning, when we were again asked to sign a form, my husband asked if I could come to the door since he was not dressed properly. The housekeeper told me I needed to sign her form. I asked her why. She said, "It's about the maid service." I told her we would need maid service for the day. I was then told I would need to sign the form anyway. I initialed the form, but later inquired about the process/exchange at the front desk. We were told that signing the form notated that we agreed not to have maid service. I immediately told the clerk that we WOULD need maid service and that I'd told the housekeeper we would need it prior to initialing the form.
The floor was vacuumed only once during the entire visit and the bathroom floors were not cleaned during the entire visit. On the day prior to the end of our visit, the sheets had not been changed; there were soiled towels still in the bathroom and two left lying on the end of the bed. On the light side, at least we were given fresh towels to accompany the soiled ones left behind. My husband asked me not to call and complain because, as he said, “Don’t worry about it. We’ll just leave tomorrow.”
Room service....The food was flavorful. However, I was the only one to eat tossed salad during the entire visit and subsequently the only one to develop a bout of diarrhea for the rest of the visit and two days beyond. Washing the salad greens may be a good place to start in order to prevent this occurrence. One server, N***, was the only person with enough courtesy to cover our meals properly with plastic film prior to delivering them. I know it was N*** because a few days later after having received meals inadequately covered, we ordered room service once again and I specifically asked if the meals could please be covered. N*** remembered me and said she had covered our meals a few days prior. I mentioned to her that no subsequent meals had been covered since she did.
The front desk staff treated us, for lack of a better word, indifferently. I never felt “welcomed”, just tolerated.
We live in Starkville; therefore we could have very well stayed at home. Instead, my husband and I decided we wanted to spend our anniversary away from home. We decided to leave home so we wouldn’t be disturbed, we wouldn’t have to cook and I certainly wouldn’t have to clean. I told him I wanted to stay at this facility because I have come to expect, from prior business stays as recently as June 8-10 at the Hilton Jackson and Conference Center, considerable courtesy and professionalism. However, I was disappointed in my first and I strongly suspect my last visit to this facility.
So to give a succinct answer/summary, tell the housekeepers to actually do their jobs without inquiring as to the business of the guests. Tell management to actually follow-up on guest concerns. Remind the kitchen staff that a little extra care taken can mean the difference between a guest becoming ill or not. Also, please don't deliver food uncovered.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
southhaven, ms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

The rates were a little high at first but they were happy to offer a discounted rate. The whole staff was very friendly and the room was in perfect condition. The hotel is brand new and a little difficult to find but the person answering the phones got us there just fine. I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Starkville? Share your experiences!