“Nice, dependable HGI. Clean.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book & save 10% with AAA
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Starkville
Memphis
“Nice, dependable HGI. Clean.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This is one of the newer style HGI hotels. Everything was tasteful and clean. I was on the 4th floor and it did appear that the rooms were newly renovated -- new carpet, new bedding, granite counter tops, etc. Lobby was bright and clean, plenty of people at the bar and eating in the restaurant there. Plenty of parking. Nice, clean, dependable place. Breakfast was $8.95, per the front desk.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Yazoo City, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn this time because of some noise problems at another hotel. We had a great stay. The staff were very friendly and the manager, Charlotte, was a real southern lady. We felt like old friends before we left. The hotel was only 3 years old and they were already remodeling some rooms to keep it above average. It was one of the best nights sleep I have ever had at a hotel. If you plan on eating breakfast get the bed and breakfast add on at reservation. You only pay 5 dollars for a full meal and it is great and it doesn't take long to add up to 5 dollars. Everyone was so nice that we felt like we were home. Would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed there right after it opened and got a fantastic rate! The room was excellent, ate 3 meals at the in-hotel restaurant (2 breakfasts and 1 dinner) and it was also excellent. The service was great. Loved our stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
bayarea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for one night. It is a good property, very homey. The room wasn't as clean as it could be. I don't know how the maid could have missed the piece of gum and trash right next to the bed, but sometimes I guess that happens. Otherwise the room was great and I have no complaints. The hotel staff is very friendly. You notice that immediately. The lobby is huge and has a lot of nice seating areas. The breakfast in the morning is perfect and not too expensive. They have a select number bed but I didn't adjust it as I thought the existing setting was fine.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed for 3 days this summer. We originally had some difficulty finding it. Turns out the hotel was actually just east of Starkville, past MSU, but it's not like Starkville is some sprawling metroscape. You can get to the center of town in 10 minutes, just like you can from everywhere else. It was impeccably clean. The rooms smelled fresh, we constantly saw the lobby being vaccumed, and you didn't even smell the pool until you were right next to it. (I don't being met by chlorine fumes the minute I walk to the elevator.) We had the breakfast buffet the morning we left - it was excellent. A nice blend of self serve and made-to-order. The room itself was spacious with lots of natural light. I was almost 6 months pregnant at the time and I find many hotel room chairs so narrow but the work desk had a nice roomy, comfy chair.The adjustabe firmness bed was kind of silly. We couldn't really feel the difference from one setting to the other, but it was comfortable anyway. My husband and I could spread out all our toiletries and still not feel crowded in the bathroom. The room's fridge freezer actually kept things frozen. We didn't hear anyone through the wall or the door while we were trying to sleep. We always appreciate thick walls and plush carpet that drowns out sound!

Room Tip: We didn't ask for anything in particular and are just at the starting level of Hilton Honors, bu...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

First the good...
The customer service at this property was outstanding. Very accurate, quick, kind, accommodating, helpful, and knowledgeable. NO complaints there.They offered to get us extra things we may need, etc.

I will say it was average beyond that. I have stayed at other HGIs in urban areas before, for about 60% of what this one cost, and received more amenities. (fruit & cheese, EXTRA water in room, help with luggage, etc.) But we were on a tight schedule, and had what we needed. I did not complain.

Asked for an ADA room, because i 'm currently on crutches, and thought I'd be more comfortable with a zero entry shower kind of thing rather than climbing over the side of the tub.
The room was on the first floor, short walk to front desk. Since it was right behind the pool & gym area, it was a little noisy, & spotlights from outside were right in our window. Pulling the shades helped, but only blocked out 75% of the light.
Room WAS kind of smelly, like maybe it was a pet friendly room? or had been wet? not sure. loose & broken hardware, etc. It was haphazardly cleaned. Pieces of paper, gravel, little things on the floor, & bathroom seemed "half clean". Some of the handtowels were stained so we placed them on the floor and did not use them. The pull down seat in the shower was wide, comfortable, & very handy, but feeling like it may not be clean, I put a towel between it and myself.
Here's the part that is worth a WARNING, though. The design of the bathroom floor is not safe. two types of tile used, with a flat seam going into shower area. The shower curtain stops about 8 inches above the floor, and fails to buffer some of the water spraying out. The tile outside the shower is STANDARD, and NOT a NO SLIP grade. held a lot of water that was, with one leg, difficult to wipe up with a towel. In fact, I did slip, but caught myself before going all the way to the floor. I did place weight on my injured leg to brace myself, and do not yet know if that has hindered my recovery or not.
I DO realize that ultimately these ADA bathrooms are not exactly designed for someone with crutches, but i cant be the first hotel guest to ever be temporarily disabled wit a broken leg and need that type room. If you've been on crutches, you know a slippery floor can be VERY dangerous, and a rug or mat on the floor is even worse.
I asked someone who has been in the hotel building business for several years, and he confirmed that that tile is not up to code to be used in ADA rooms.
Since it is probably not cost effective to replace the tile in those few rooms, nor design that entry seam with a small grate covered gutter, two things management can do to minimize this risk to future guests are:

1. replace the shower curtain with a longer one to minimize some of the water that gets out, and 2. provide the guest with some kind of rubber mats to put on the floor.

Someone much less able bodied that I could have VERY easily hit their head on that tile and been seriously hurt.
I Do plan to contact Hilton about it, but wanted to post a warning here, just in case disabled travelers are booking this place. Bring or ask for a rubber mat, perhaps.

I really would like to give 2 1/2 stars, but I'm a nice person, and I didn't complain while there after all. Hilton member or not, I dont know if I would stay there again.

Room Tip: read detail in review, especially if requesting ADA room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

a/c froze up every hour and the room smelly like mold. The pillows smelled like mold and front desk lady was rude. she would not let us change room and would not refund us the money. we asked to change rooms or for a refund with in one hour of being there. The hall ways where hot . I would stay in a best western or a car before I stayed at this hotel again. the rooms were clean but smelled badly. we have to go to walmart and buy air fresher and three air fresher plug in units to cover the odor. but with the a/c not working right, it was worst night we ever had in a hotel. over charged for the room also. I was never told that they were going to put a $50.00 deposit per room per night. i had prepaid for the rooms a month before, so they could have told be about the extra deposit charge. THE POOL IS VERY VERY SMALL. about the size of two king beds.

Room Tip: don't stay at hilton unless you dont want to use the ac
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Starkville? Share your experiences!