“Facility was nice, but management sucked!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Southaven Inn

You added Southaven Inn to your Saves list
Southaven Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   340 State Line Road, Southaven, MS 38671 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Southaven)   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Southaven
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Facility was nice, but management sucked!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This hotel was a nice hotel, but the staff led us to decide to not stay at that hotel again. I don't usually write negative reviews but this one rated it in my book. My boyfriend drives a semi truck for his company and as such stays in numerous hotels. I help him out by finding him a hotel that can accommodate his semi truck on property. I utilize this website frequently to get reviews and will call and talk to front desk staff also. His preferred hotel of choice is Holiday Inn Express so that's always the first thing I am looking for. After a good hour of calling around and using the web, I choose this location based on what I found. I was told and he was told separately that they had truck parking. All was fine till he was up the hill/driveway in front of the hotel. There was no room what so ever for him to turn around the semi. There was a little lot next to this property that a truck could fit in but it was not a big enough space to really do this in. After 45 min of him trying to turn around (with assistance from the maintenance man) he gave up and proceeded to check in. I got to hear him vent and decided to call Customer Service for assistance. They contacted the hotel and was told that the manager would be back on property in 30 min and would help fix the problem. By the time I got there from 3 hours for a quick visit since I don't live near him, I totally understood what he had been dealing with. This hotel had NO business telling anyone that they had truck parking when clearly they didn't not.. When I saw the name of the manager on duty (Patel), I then understood what was going on from them. I am not against Indians at all. But in many cases have seen them tell guest what they want to hear to get their business. Of course that's not limited to that nationality, but hotels and Indians tend to be that way. We had a nice stay, till we were woken up by the kitchen staff banging around at 6:15 am. Upon arrival home I then found out that I had left my robe in the room and called them immediately and was told they would hold on to it till I could stop by to get it. I not sure about you, but I usually stay in hotels when I'm out of town away from my home. They (I heard the manager in the background) would send it to me at my expense then. Unfortunately I have left items in rooms before and they have always sent items back to me at their expense. I'm sure if someone wanted my repeat business they would bend over backward to accommodate their guest. My robe is nothing bulky but a short silk one that could fit in a 8x11 envelope and mostly like cost $3 to get to me. Please if I'm way off base could some one please tell me so. (oh I also talked with my friend who has been in the hotel management business for almost 30 years on this topic and said that I was correct in how I felt) All in all the hotel seemed fine but the treatment was enough to make me drop my overall rating.

Room Tip: the room service and spa was not available to rate
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Southaven Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear R1964,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you find our hotel nice. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and issues you may have had with the parking and the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Smyrna Ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is an old hotel that was remodeled but I still saw some of the "oldness". You could see the "rust" on the fire sprinkler and the carpet was nasty. I walked around on the floor with my socks on for about 5 minutes and looked at the bottom of my socks and they were so nasty. This carpet needed a deep cleaning. The place was very dusty also. Many of the workers were complaining about the low pay and bad working conditions there. The bikes in the work out area are worn out and squeak loudly when in use.
My husband booked this location last week through "Priceline" and got a rate of $84 a night. I called the location to get 2 beds and was told by the desk clerk that 2 beds had been sold out for more than 3 weeks. When we got there, the manager who I learned was the owner also said the room was 1 King size bed smoking and he did not have any other rooms available. We are not smokers. The smoke smell was so strong. We could hardly spend the time we had planned in the room because of the strong "smoke" smell. We went to the store and got some air fresher spray that proclaimed to help with the smoke but it only did for a "short" period. I have lots of experience working in the hotel industry and it looks like the Holiday Inn brand has lowered its standards. I do not ever plan to stay at this location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We spent one night here when visiting Tunica recently. The hotel is very well kept and the room was large. There was a Keurig coffee maker which we felt was a nice touch. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the temperature control was good. We missed the breakfast in the morning by about five minutes so we can't comment about that. They must put it up pretty fast since we got there at 9:35 and it was completely gone. There was a small fitness room on the second floor but we did not use the facilities. The drive time to Tunica was about 20 minutes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for one night while traveling through Memphis. We arrived late in the evening and left early the next morning, but enjoyed our stay nonetheless. The rooms were decorated nicely for a mid-priced hotel, there was a Keurig coffee maker in the room which was a nice perk, the property was very quiet, and it was very easy to find. The front desk & kitchen staff persons were very nice. We will definately stay here again if we find ourselves in need of a hotel room in Memphis/Southaven in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights while on a business trip. The decor is a bit outdated and my room wasn't consistent with other Holiday Inn Express that I have stayed at. The room appeared clean on the surface, but upon further inspection, it had not been deep cleaned in a while. The area had a severe thunderstorm during the evening on my second night and the power failed for approximately 2.5 hours. The electric power was not restored until near 10:00 p.m. No mention was made by the front desk about seeking other room arrangements for the guests at another Holiday Inn. It’s my assumption that we would have spent the night in the parking lot (in our vehicles) if the power had not been restored due to the temperature inside of the building. The area law enforcement routinely drove through the parking lot with spot lights which I assume was for the purpose of preventing looting. This location does not have any nearby restaurants other than fast food establishments.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Kennett, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Okay, it's not the Hilton or Hyatt or whatever. It's a HI. But it's the best of their best. The internet was great. The parking area is very well lighted. The reception staff was very pleasant and accommodating. The room was very clean and decorated nicely. The TV was one of the best we've seen in motels where we have stayed. There's a frig that has a freezer section, a microwave, and a very firm but very comfortable bed. The only negatives are that there should have been a night light in the bathroom. They're cheap so there's no excuse for a motel not to put them in the rooms. Also, there was a little road noise which did not interfere with my sleep but might affect the light sleeper. (We stayed in Room 105.) Yet the best part of our stay with HI was Jimmy. We paid a little extra (about $125 + tax) to stay there so we could park and fly for our winter trip. When I got ready to take our luggage to the entrance to give to the driver (which only hoped would show up on time) who did we meet other than Jimmy waiting for me even before I got to the lobby area. He took our luggage and loaded it in the van. As we were leaving, my wife mentioned something about forgetting to make some coffee. (There's a Keurig coffee maker in the room, but we left at 4:15 and my wife was late in getting ready for us to leave.) Jimmy offered to take us to a place to get some coffee before we reached the airport. He is so personable and friendly. He just works nights but has immense energy and just a totally pleasant demeanor. He told us he was 57 years old and loves his job. He doesn't like being confined to an office or building. He is such a bonus that even if there had been something in the HI we just couldn't accept (And there certainly wasn't.), we would stay with them again for any early flight out of Memphis just so we could have Jimmy take us to the airport. Stay here. You will be satisfied.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Very nice room, sound on TV was a little odd (voices being quiet while music was loud, and volume changed during same show). Room was clean, staff was very friendly. Only stayed the one night.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Southaven Inn? Share your experiences!