“Non-smoking doesn't mean non-smoking” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Pearl
Austin, TX
“Non-smoking doesn't mean non-smoking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this Candlewood Suites in mid-August 2012. Although our reservation was for a non-smoking room, we were given a room that had clearly been smoked in. Hence the presence of the running room mobile air freshening unit. When we opened the bathroom door, we were knocked back by the smell of cigarette smoke. Management's initial response was horror that the mobile air unit had been left in the room, and offered to come and take it out immediately. Upon demanding another room, management provided us a replacement. Not fun performing another move of the daughter's carload of possessions from one room to another after a full days drive towards college in NC.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you want to get a room such as they one you reserved.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Candlewood Suites Pearl, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear danjaxson,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I want to assure you that we strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you received service which is unacceptable on this day but I am glad to know that our management was able to provide you an alternate solution for the inconvenience caused.

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I found out I was accepted into my masters program late in the summer, so I had to move to Mississippi at the last minute. I couldn't find an apartment in time so I decided I would stay at Candlewood Suites for the year. I was VERY happy to find that they had FREE laundry on-site, FREE printing in their business center, a fitness center, & an extensive snack bar! All if these amenities in one place ON-SITE (not down the street nearby/in the building next door/etc.) is something I NEVER saw during my apartment hunt. I would've had to pay far more per month & get less if I had gotten an apartment (and that's not including the furniture I would've had to buy)! I also had a dishwasher & a normal-sized fridge in my room!!! The availability of these two things are RARELY standard in apartments let alone a hotel! The staff were very friendly & the rooms were ALWAYS cleaned!! I stayed here for a year & was very comfortable the whole time. I really believe anyone who chooses this place, even for a normal hotel stay, will be greatly pleased! It's similar in price to the other hotels in the area but you are given A LOT more for your money.

• Stayed September 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This Candlewood Suite was not as nice and clean as the ones I have stayed in before. The room was actually quite dirty. When we checked in, the front desk receptionist asked the head housekeeper if our room was ready and we were told it was. When we got to our room, the first thing that hit us was the funky smell in the room. There was a musty odor, the carpet looked dirty, like it needed a good shampooing. When you turned the A/C on, and got circulation in the room, the smell went away, but since the A/C cuts off when you leave, it was there every time we came back. Also, the bathroom was filthy; there was a dirt ring in the tub and dirt around the tub and in the corners. We called the front desk and head housekeeper came up (the same one that said the room was clean) and admitted that the bathroom had not been cleaned. She then scrubbed the bathtub and mopped the floor. Also, behind the nightstand there was some kind of liquid spilled down the wall, that hadn't been cleaned and it was disgusting. I made a mistake of dropping my IPOD down the side of the bed by the wall and when I reached for it I found my IPOD and a hand full of trash as well. GROSS!! The walls needed to be scrubbed or repainted or something. There were black scuff marks all over the wall. Also, the appliances in the kitchen were outdated. We turned the fridge's temperature down a little when we got there. Now why did we do that??? You know that fridge made the most god awesome rumbling sound at night we couldn't even sleep. Called the front desk about it and they said turn the ice maker off. Um, sure, if we even turned the ice maker on, but we didn't. That fridge needed to be replaced, that's what the problem was. We didn't need our sheets changed the three days we were there, so we just made them up ourselves, my mom made a comment on the cheap pleather bed skirts they had on the beds and how dusty and dirty they were. Though it was safe and quiet, I do not think it was worth the nearly $100 a night we spent to stay there. The owner needs to keep this hotel chain up to par and it needs to be what is expected of Candlewood Suites. We will not be staying there next time we travel to the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Pearl, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear SiobhanDW,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor service form our housekeeping, noisy refrigerator and the out dated appliances. I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Denville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I just spent 10 days visiting friends and family and stayed at this hotel. Everyone was super friendly and since I was traveling with dogs it was a real joy that the staff seemed so welcoming to my canine family. The facility was super clean and provided all the services I desired without being intrusive. The cupboard was well stocked and convenient. It was a particular delight since I was supposed to stay at Candlewood Suites in Flowood and though I had a printed confirmation of my reservation they could not honor it...thus sending me to this delightful hotel instead. I certainly hope the Flowood Hotel gets their act together because I am returning in October for a reunion and am required to stay in Flowood unfortunately. Thanks to everyone in Pearl for a great job!!

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite was roomy and very comfortable to host a gathering of friends and family! Lov...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Flower Mound, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Although I had no reservation, I pulled in around 12:30am and they had a room that was value priced. The 3rd shift front desk management was wonderful (C.Sanders) - very welcoming, so polite, extremely efficient - got me in a room in a flash. I was just staying 1 night however this set up would be great for someone staying a week or so - kitchenette fully stocked, large bathroom, recliner, desk, and good TV - very comfortable bed. I'll make sure I remember this exit and this hotel to stay again and again. Being close to the interstate was a big plus.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Conway, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I'm never one to be picky or even write a bad review, but I feel this one might help some of you out there.. I feel bad to give a place a horrible review, but I love to read them b/c it helps me decide whats important to me. Some of this may not matter to you, some of it may. But here is what you should know. NO POOL!!! Come on, its Mississippi, its hot, its summer and there's no pool. I guess this is my fault for not looking at more details on the hotel. I guess I assumed there would be a freaking pool, but there is nothing. When I asked the guy if they had a pool, he told me, No, no pool but we have free guest laundry. He said that 3 times, free guest laundry. When I'm away from home, I DON'T WANT TO WASH CLOTHES! This makes this hotel perfect for the traveling business man I guess, but that is not what I was there for. Yes I was there on business, but I'm not doing laundry, PLEASE!!! When I get to the room, it is clean, so I didn't give it the worst rating I could have b/c it was a clean place to stay and that is very important to me, BUT you better enjoy that cleanliness when you first get there, b/c as we learned on day 2, they don't clean your room daily, only once a week. Wow, that was a shock. NEVER been to a basic hotel that someone didn't come around and tidy up my room, make my bed and leave me fresh towels. Ok, I get it, they told me all candlewood suites are that way, not sure if thats true, but that is what was said. Again, I guess I should have checked to make sure my room was cleaned everyday, how ridiculous that seems to me! So when my husband stops by the front desk to ask for more clean towels, they say sure, just bring us your old towels and we give you fresh ones. Seriously? I need to collect my old towels and haul them down 3 floors just to get fresh ones? Who at that front desk wants to handle my dirty used towels? That was infuriating. Again, I have NEVER had to do this. One last disappointing thing, I broke a tooth on my second day there and decided to leave out the next morning one day early. Begged the front desk to let me check out a day early and get a partial refund or pay a cancellation fee b/c I had to get to my dentist ASAP b/c I was in alot of pain. Well like the rest of my stay, I was let down. B/c I booked through hotels.com, they could do nothing for me. I do understand this and its my fault, but it just adds insult to injury and my stay was just a big disappointment. No toilet paper holder for toilet paper, that was weird. No bathroom counter to spread out my stuff, just a little sink with no space, that was definitely an inconvenience for sure. No ice maker. You have to let your fridge make the ice. In the 2 days I was there, the ice maker never filled up and I just went to the dollar general next door and bought ice. The toilet didn't flush very well. It took 3-4 flushes to get all the toilet paper down and it didn't fill back up with water, just strange. No continental breakfast when so many places are offering a small complimentary breakfast these days. There is a small kitchen, but like the laundry, I'm not cooking in a hotel. The air worked, the shower functioned properly, the bed was comfortable, oh yeh and did I mention FREE GUEST LAUNDRY!!!

Room Tip: Someone told me the Holiday Inn Express is the best place to stay in town but that it was $150 per n...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Pearl, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear agc829,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving your detailed review. The Candlewood Suites hotels are our extended stay hotels, and are meant to make you feel more at home. Our signature hotel amenities allow you to live, work, and relax in much the same way you would in your own home without feeling like you’re in a hotel. We offer weekly housekeeping as well as fully stocked kitchens in your room. We do not have a restaurant on property, but offer our Candlewood Cupboard where you can pick-up a variety of food, beverages, and even toiletry items whenever you want.

IHG offers a variety of hotel brands with amenities you are looking for. If you need an extended stay hotel offering free breakfast, our Staybridge Suites would work better for you. If you are looking for a hotel with daily housekeeping as well as complimentary breakfast, our Holiday Inn Express hotels would be a good fit. Our Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza hotels offer daily housekeeping and are full service
hotels with full service restaurants on property.

We apologize our Candlewood Suites was not the right fit for you. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Katie J
Cumming, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This hotel is handy for an over night in Pearl Mississippi. It is just off of the Interstate.
The staff was friendly and tried to be helpful. The hotel was clean, but appeared to have been built very quickly. Our towel rack was falling off the wall. The commode rocked to and fro. The tub was very slick and did not have an interior handle. Nevertheless, it was a good value for a good night sleep.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Pearl? Share your experiences!