“Nice restaurant on the square.” 4 of 5 stars

662-232-8080
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
City Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 138 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American, Lebanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Van Buren
Birmingham, AL
“Nice restaurant on the square.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We visited after recommendations from friends and relatives. My wife and I had an enjoyable meal with excellent service. My wife had a shrimp dish and I ordered the ribeye steak which were both well prepared. My only complaint was the steak dish was essentially "ala carte" at a cost of $31, which I thought to be high compared to other like restaurants. Their wine list was very good and the prices were reasonable. The restaurant is known for outstanding "shrimp and grits". Perhaps, if I had ordered that dish, I might have arated the City Grocery higher.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food on the square in Oxford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Good gourmet style food in a college town. Had the fennel dusted drum. Members of our party were there to celebrate a birthday. It was a nice experience. Staff was friendly.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Exceeds Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

While at Ole Miss Orientation with my daughter, I had the opportunity to eat at City Grocery. I went early (6:30) and, because I was alone, I sat at the bar. Each staff member I encountered was friendly and professional. I had been told by friends to have the shrimp and grits (my favorite dish) and I was not disappointed. It was the best I have ever tasted. The spiciness was just right and there was an amazing amount of shrimp in the dish. The wine list is nice and very reasonably priced. I cannot wait to go back when visiting my daughter at college.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Heber Springs, Arkansas
“Gourmet Southern Food at its Finest!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

City Grocery is one of the main reasons we travel through Oxford on our return trip from Orange Beach. Always a great meal, using only the freshest (and usually local) ingredients. Menu changes, but the signature Shrimp and Grits is not to be missed. In the ten plus years we've eaten there, we have never been disappointed. You can expect service to be on point, maybe even a little stuffy. For us, it has become part of the experience. Wouldn't change it if I could.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Owner puts his heart in it and is an Oxford/Ole Miss historian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Only place ope before 11AM at the square and I needed food. I was the only one there so the owner engaged me in conversation about Oxford, which I found very interesting. As he served the pizza, he said, "I'll put my slice against any". Loved the confidence. It's very good.

Visited March 2014